The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 07 Cobalt Upgraded Supercharged Killed my 03 G35 Coupe 5mt :-((((((

07 Cobalt Upgraded Supercharged Killed my 03 G35 Coupe 5mt :-((((((

My pride was effectively nulled, when a buddy's cobalt SS supecharged killed my killed my car. Happned on courtney park and hy10, i was on 2nd gear doing 50. and he pulls up, and we take it from there. That thing pulled away like crazy!!!! He has a upgraded supercharger from GM. Whats hurts soo much is that i used to brag how i'd take him down any day. Always thought was was a usless piece of $hit!!!! I am GMumbled :-)

I have a 2003 g35, carribean blue, Automatic on 89 octane, cause the gastation was out of 91 that week :-( don;t know if that would make a difference... I've had this car for over 2 years now, i need to do some Upgrades.

The Car is 100% stock, can u guys please suggest some upgrades what would atleast give me 300 - 310 HP without going FI.

I already ordered megan racing headers + cat delete + down pipe + y pipe + exaust.

I am soo new to this, i opened an account just for some advice. Does anyone know of a g35 tuner shop in toronto?

Thanks guys for all your help in advanced!!!

Other than a cold air intake and plenum spacer, not much else you can do before it starts to get too pricey. Not sure what your budget is. From there, lighter wheels, valve body, torque converter, gears, etc... will help to make improvements, but it comes back to budget and drivability.

You will need your ECU tuned to maximize the mods as you will lean out. Either get a reflash from AAM, Technosquare or UpRev, or purchase a UTEC and find a local shop that can tune it for you. Best options.

Don't feel too bad. Cobalt is light and those things put out an easy 300 hp with the proper modifications on the supercharged models.

The lower octane gas is a big difference. I remember seeing this video where they used 87, 89, and 91. The horse power ratings were like 180 for 87, 230 for 89, and 300 for 91. I forgot which car they used. Anybody have that video? Also may I suggest the Kinetix SSV Plenum, and the Injen CAI.
    05' G35 Coupe Bose/Navi/Sport/Injen Cold-Air Intake
    03' Toyota Highlander V6/AWD

Actually hun, I'm going to disagree with you on both of those recommendations. The SSV has been proven to lose power on a lot of NA builds. Its expensive and adds nothing.

And the best intake is actually the stock air box, replacement high flow filter and a z-tube. I still love the sound of a CAI, but they don't add much power, if any, and the open design ones such as Injen that don't have a heat shield, draw in more warm air.

Quote Originally Posted by iNFERNiS
    My pride was effectively nulled, when a buddy's cobalt SS supecharged killed my killed my car. Happned on courtney park and hy10, i was on 2nd gear doing 50. and he pulls up, and we take it from there. That thing pulled away like crazy!!!! He has a upgraded supercharger from GM. Whats hurts soo much is that i used to brag how i'd take him down any day. Always thought was was a usless piece of $hit!!!! I am GMumbled :-)

I have a 2003 g35, carribean blue, Automatic on 89 octane, cause the gastation was out of 91 that week :-( don;t know if that would make a difference... I've had this car for over 2 years now, i need to do some Upgrades.

The Car is 100% stock, can u guys please suggest some upgrades what would atleast give me 300 - 310 HP without going FI.

I already ordered megan racing headers + cat delete + down pipe + y pipe + exaust.

I am soo new to this, i opened an account just for some advice. Does anyone know of a g35 tuner shop in toronto?

Thanks guys for all your help in advanced!!!
    So you've come to us for advice on how to spend $$$ just for the sake of being able to take on one other vehicle? Surely your level of self-respect isn't that bad.
    So what if you lose a race to one car? The G has amenities the SS Cobalt can only dream about. Don't sweat it and just enjoy your G.

That said.....if you MUST have more power:
    http://www.intensepower.com/aevqstkit35.html

Why base your personal pride on what your car can or cannot do? Do you really want to spend a ton on money on mods for an ego trip?

The G isn't just about speed. It's a total package. Looks, comfort, and performance. The cobalt SS is simply cheap speed. Which one is better depends on what you are looking for. You made the mistake of assuming that your car is faster just because the cobalt is an economy car.
    '08 Pathfinder SE | Premium | Side Airbag | Air Lift 1000
    '96 Honda Accord LX

I've said it before, any car can be made to go really quick.
    He could tune his Cobalt out to do 0-60 in 2 seconds, but it would still be a Cobalt.
    And that's fine if that's what you want. I don't so I bought the G

Hey its more than speed :-) I've owned the g for 2 years now. Loved it , took real good care of it also.

The resale value for it in canada mayebe around 28 - 30K I'll post pics for you guys.

If there is a way to get about 20 - 30 HP wothout going FI itd be nice. I am willing to spend 2 -3 K

Is the AEM air filter any good? whats a flywheel? Is that for an automatic? None of you guys from ontario?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iNFERNiS
    If there is a way to get about 20 - 30 HP wothout going FI itd be nice. I am willing to spend 2 -3 K

Is the AEM air filter any good? whats a flywheel? Is that for an automatic? None of you guys from ontario?
    That's a pretty realistic goal given the budget.

This is how I would advise you to spend your money, best bang for your buck. This is US funds, so your results may vary on price.

Stillen Z-Tube: $60
    K&N drop-in filter: $40
    Resonated Test Pipes: $150-300
    Note, this will cause you to get a SES light if you don't use non-foulers, for the 02 sensor, and you can swap in your stock cat for emission inspections.
    Y-pipe: $250-500
    Greddy SP2 Exhaust: $500
    Lightened Crank Pulley: $200
    I'm friends with Will, the owner of WRP Technology, he's currently designing a lightweight crank pulley for the VQ and should cost about 2/3 or less of what the Unorthodox Pulley costs.
    ECU Reflash: $600
    1/2" plenum spacer: $300

That's my list of cost effective bolt-ons for you. All are simple modifications that are relatively inexpensive for a garage to do, or you could do yourself with jack stands and hand tools.

Would the Stillen Z Tube and K&N Filter change the sound of the exhaust very much?
    I'm so in love with the sound of my stock G's exhaust that I wouldn't want to alter it very much...

Quote Originally Posted by Acoupe
    Would the Stillen Z Tube and K&N Filter change the sound of the exhaust very much?
    I'm so in love with the sound of my stock G's exhaust that I wouldn't want to alter it very much...
    Won't change the sound of your exhaust at all. It will give your intake a little bit of a growl, but that's it. A full CAI will give it an awesome growl, but they don't have any real gains. I have one, love the sound, but would just as quickly go back to stock.

If you do headers and high flow cats, or test pipes, and a y-pipe, your exhaust keeps the same tone, but it gets louder and more aggressive. One of my friend has headers and test pipes, but a stock exhaust and he found nice gains and it sounds like a very mean version of stock.

The Nismo / Weldina exhausts also keep a bit of the stock tone, but are louder and a bit more aggressive as well.

Dark Energy Rules
    So what?

There are modified Civics and Jettas out there with outrageous horsepower that will kick the @ss of anything up to and probably including a Z06 - why worry about what a modded car can do? Especially on the public roads - where the winner is .... not really a winner, just the one whom is the stupidest. (My opinion but I'm entitled to it. )

Take that modded Cobalt out to a track and given equal drivers I'm willing to bet the G will still win. Unless Cobalt boy also spent as much money on his brakes and suspension as he did on the engine.

The best intake is indeed the stock box with Z tube and drop-in filter. That's what I use and it has served me well. No worries about water induction either. The GReddy SP2 exhaust is sweet - there is nothing as good for an axle-back mod (at least for the price - Ti exhausts are great, but insanely priced.) Add a mid-pipe to that and you've got a nice intake/exhaust combo.

Remember that an engine is basically a fancy pump - it sucks air in and then blasts it out. The more you help an engine be a better pump, the more power it produces. Intake and exhaust are the cheapest ways to do that. Headers are expensive and not the best bang-for-the-buck. ECU is nice but it requires you to part with your ECU while it's flashed. Also can be a pain at emissions time (good to have a second ECU that you leave stock.) UTEC is a nice alternative (I believe Derek173 has one - PM him for more info) since it is generally easier to re-program for different needs (street, emissions, track, etc.,)

Next best is a plenum spacer. I like Motordyne's - it gives you some extra horses and torque at high revs (not really a street mod - more for the track and high-speed AutoX.)

One other word - power is generally the second most important thing in performance. MAKING TURNS is #1 - anyone can go fast in a straight line. I have seen zero-experience girls (not to knock on women, just stating that it takes no experience at all!) do a 14.2 1/4 mile in a G. But just try doing a sub-3:00 lap at Road America in the same car.

Unless they are a RARE individual, they will be lucky to be within 10 seconds of that, or will end up in the kitty litter (or worse.)

Work on your suspension and brakes first - you'll have a better car than that Cobalt. Then add some light power mods and you're golden.

- Riff

exactly what kind of mods does he have?

i mean, he could have NOS for a quickie and so could you, but there really isn't any 'cheap' way of making your car fast...
    sure you can add the typical basic upgrades i/h/e, but still it doesn't make it that much faster...
    unfortunately, only way to make it really noticeable faster is to spend $$$...

I suspect the biggest problem is the embarrassment from bragging about how much faster the G was without trying him. Something about an alligator mouth overloading a tadpole a$$, or ... If you had a manny tranny, you could say you missed a shift. The heck with him You have the better car, and he knows it too. So what if he can make it between lights a little faster. You can still get the chicks.:D
    04 G35X, DP, Premium, Wood

Thanks helldorado!

Thanks a LOT Helldorado!!! I found a tuner shop in Toronto. I am gonna spend some money now.

Just 1 more question for the Gurus here, I always thought the ECU upgrade was for Forces induction cars. I can refash the ECU in a stock car? How much HP do i get from doing that?

RIffster thanks man for your post. It true, man. Thanks for your info too. I alreafy call around here for a spare ECU, i don't want to buy one new!!!
    One question for you, is MEgan racing Exause any good? I gought the complete megan racing kit, headers, y pipe, catdelete pipe, down pipe etc!!

Wei240, all he has is a upgraded supercharger and a exaust kit.

RetAF, it true, very embarrased :-( i'll post a pic of my car over the weeekend.

Thanks guys for you input!!

You can absolutely reflash the ECU on a NA car. With complete end to end bolt-ons its pretty much a requirement as your car will most likely be running lean. You can open up an extra 10-20 whp if you have the proper supporting mods for it. Plus you get the improved throttle response, raised redline, etc...

I'm not a fan of Megan. Quality isn't the best, their parts tend to develop cracks in the welds. I prefer Topspeed, Strup and some other other brands that aren't too expensive. There's cheap, then there is inexpensive. I consider Megan to be cheap.

yeah, ecu reflash is applicable in alot of cases since manufacturers tend to have everything set on the safer level instead of optimizing performance...
    yep, n/a applications would benefit as well, look at dinan reflashes for all those bimmer applications... they make a really big difference

This isn't going to be popular here, but its true so here goes:

I have a G35S, and I love it, but to be honest, I doubt you are going to touch that Cobalt SS and it won't matter if its a drag race or around a track. Sorry guys but everyone so far is highly under-estimating the Cobalt SS, they are very capable cars stock and with a little more power they are street and track monsters.

I doubt bolt-ons are going to help, you are going to need FI or N2O to take him down. If you aren't prepared to do that then just save your money and accept that another car is faster than yours even though it cost less. Supercharged upgraded Cobalt SS's are raping 400 horse LS2 GTO's and even modded GXP Soltice's and SRT-4's.

Give the guy props and leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by helldorado
    Don't feel too bad. Cobalt is light and those things put out an easy 300 hp with the proper modifications on the supercharged models.
    Exactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast