The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: stock EVO IX MR vs. t28 SR 240sx

stock EVO IX MR vs. t28 SR 240sx

Ran with a guy on the freeway in his stock appearing EXO IX MR (gotta love the vortex generators). We did a few runs..and would alternate who would run in front....probably started at around 70..and ended..well much higher. I would gain, or pull away every time..moreso right at the top of 4th prior to shifting, and then even further in 5th....I had to let off a few times when he started in front so I didn't drive into his back seat......or unravel the fabric of the space-time continuum.

I run around 250 rwhp/rwtq in my s13 hatch (around 2700lbs I guess) with my s15 t28
    I 'think' the guys car was stock

EVOR IX MR's run 240-275 rwhp stock (around 3200lbs I believe) and run the 1/4 in high 12's at 105-108

..of course with a $5 boost controller and a $15 intake he'd leave me like a stillborn in the target toilet.

not bad. Evo's are quick, i'de like it to be my next car. But when i found out they run 16-18psi stock i was suprised. A boost controller definately helps but i think the stock set-up on evo is good for 19-21psi. But a 3" full exhaust definately woulda opened it up a bit for him. Off the line they'll definately take you at your power level, but on highway runs u should definately end up on top.
    -Boost rising...-=)

Stock EVO's run 19 psi in midrange. It tapers down to 16 while ALSO tapering very rich. Most new guys to EVO's try to rev them to redline to "race" and end up being slower. This combined with high speed (drivetrain loss) makes for an EVO not performing quite up to potential. Yes, a MBC and piggyback makes a big difference.
    Good race, though.
    D/D: '07 Mustang GT w/ road race mods
    Project: '77 280Z stripped with 8pt cage. Getting Holset, Megasquirt and full suspension workover at the moment.
    Past Cars: 18G 2G DSM, BPU+ mkiv SupraTT 6spd, T3/T4 TEC III GDA WRX, GT35R AEM EVO8, '05 350Z TT, '05 Civic Hybrid (RIP you little b@stard), '87 Fox Mustang

That's interesting. What have you done to your SR?

My friend drove my sr s14, and thought it was slow . However, I only have the basic bolt on and running stock boost. But I just can't imagine how a lightly modified sr can hang even with a stock EVO.

Quote Originally Posted by vw_nissan
    That's interesting. What have you done to your SR?

My friend drove my sr s14, and thought it was slow . However, I only have the basic bolt on and running stock boost. But I just can't imagine how a lightly modified sr can hang even with a stock EVO.
    see below...as seen above
    Quote Originally Posted by janders211
    I run around 250 rwhp/rwtq in my s13 hatch (around 2700lbs I guess) with my s15 t28

EVOR IX MR's run 240-275 rwhp stock (around 3200lbs I believe) and run the 1/4 in high 12's at 105-108
    power/weight = acceleration (mostly..until drag sets in..and then well..have you seen an EVO?

1. your s14 weighs more than an s13..and stock boost? (hint 250rwhp>200rwhp)
    2. an EVO weighs more than either
    3. The EVO weighs more, makes less hp, and has no aero advantage
    4. 2700lbs/250rwhp(min) = 10.7 lb/hp(me)
    5. 3200lb/275rwhp(max) =11.6lb/hp (him)
    6. Your friend..is he calibrated?
    7. power to weight...I have both in my favor
    8. ?

EVO's aren't that fast stock....they just have that AWD thing...and those rear diffusers that ,make them go " WHooo- WHoooo!!"

Quote Originally Posted by janders211
    see below...as seen above

power/weight = acceleration (mostly..until drag sets in..and then well..have you seen an EVO?

1. your s14 weighs more than an s13..and stock boost? (hint 250rwhp>200rwhp)
    2. an EVO weighs more than either
    3. The EVO weighs more, makes less hp, and has no aero advantage
    4. 2700lbs/250rwhp(min) = 10.7 lb/hp(me)
    5. 3200lb/275rwhp(max) =11.6lb/hp (him)
    6. Your friend..is he calibrated?
    7. power to weight...I have both in my favor
    8. ?

EVO's aren't that fast stock....they just have that AWD thing...and those rear diffusers that ,make them go " WHooo- WHoooo!!"
    Well, I have driven 3 different EVOs in autox. 2 claims to have 330-380whp (one actually was modified to have an extra .2L) and 1 stock. Two of them were just insanely fast and quick acceleration. The power band seems to be much better than the sr. I feel that the sr doesn't really have much power until 4k rpm.

It is a different feeling because everything seems to come a lot faster when I drive the EVO. The car just accelerates so much faster even though the power/weight ratio of the EVO loses to 240s on paper. That's why I said it's interesting that you were able to keep up with the EVO. And the fact that you said you have a t28 turbo doesn't really tell much about what else you have done. Stock boost? 20psi? cams? ECU?
    But it's ok if you are reluctant to share.

As for aerodynamics, I don't think that contributes a lot in local autox event, but probably help in national events.

Not sure what you meant by "is your friend calibrated"? I am assuming you mean if he knows how to drive, and the answer is yes, better than 99% of the people out on the road.

Anyways, this is not an argument, I just want to know what is involved to get the sr up to speed with the EVOs without spending a s$$$ load of money.

Well, I have driven 3 different EVOs in autox. 2 claims to have 330-380whp (one actually was modified to have an extra .2L) and 1 stock. Two of them were just insanely fast and quick acceleration. The power band seems to be much better than the sr. I feel that the sr doesn't really have much power until 4k rpm.
    Freeway =/ Autocross
    400hp =/ stock
    It is a different feeling because everything seems to come a lot faster when I drive the EVO. The car just accelerates so much faster even though the power/weight ratio of the EVO loses to 240s on paper.
    ..and on the freeway
    That's why I said it's interesting that you were able to keep up with the EVO. And the fact that you said you have a t28 turbo doesn't really tell much about what else you have done. Stock boost? 20psi? cams? ECU?
    But it's ok if you are reluctant to share.
    I listed my dyno #'s..which are very easy to get on an SR..even with a stock turbo
    t28 @15 psi (stock s15 dual ballbearing turbo)...off the shelf, fuel mods, stock cams/heads, off the sheld enthalpy ECU, intake exhaust FMIC, etc.
    Search in 240sx basic and this information and upgrade paths are easilly available

As for aerodynamics, I don't think that contributes a lot in local autox event, but probably help in national events.
    ...and on the freeway

Anyways, this is not an argument, I just want to know what is involved to get the sr up to speed with the EVOs without spending a s$$$ load of money.
    Search in 240sx basic and this information and upgrade paths are easilly available

when i first installed my coilovers went for a drive on the highway, me and a friend in a 350z ran into an evo. me s13 (sr20det fmic, 3"dp-tes-pipe, exhaust) and 350z were alone, evo had 2 passengers (3 people total). This was highway run, 2 times i slowly pulled (evo 8btw) on him on my stock 7psi. and the 350 was there with me (slowly pulled on him too) up till about mid 5th gear then let off (starting in mid 3rd gear).

Then about 2 months ago a friend didn't believe i could hang with an evo so he called his boy out, my car with 3 bolts holding the turbo on 7psi and an exhaust leak was about dead even with a stock evo9. He crawled on me (2nd-4th gear) about 1/4 car length. I also drove my friends evo9 (back in nyc) and it definately has more low-end power and pick's up a big quicker than my SR, but on the higher end/highway runs SR has a good chance. I love the Evo's and hope to make it my next car. and turn the 240 into track/drift purpose. :D
    -Boost rising...-=)

we ran my old bosses evo mr at the trace one night and it ran an 11.7 with cams, a very agressive tune we did ( with a 2 step launch of course ), exhaust, and 40lbs of boost!!!
    B.K.
    1990 240sx Hatch
    2000 Toyota Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by B.K.
    we ran my old bosses evo mr at the trace one night and it ran an 11.7 with cams, a very agressive tune we did ( with a 2 step launch of course ), exhaust, and 40lbs of boost!!!
    greatest baseball story ever!

lol @ 40lbs of boost...that's what I daily drive on my t25