The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Take the new avalons seriously!!

Take the new avalons seriously!!

Was on my way home to Va, through Maryland when I noticed a avalon up ahead. This guy was all over the road, back and forth, one land to the next, as there was quite a bit of traffic out. Long story short, I caught up with him and pulled right up next to him @ about 90, steptronic in 4th as I was already doing some spirited driving myself. As fate would have it , the road was clear up ahead (95south by the way) so we hit it at the same time. I imediately pulled about one car length ahead from what I could tell. Now the spedos at 110, still in 4th, pulling about 4000 rpms, I guess. So I know from past experience that I can pull about 125 in 4th. Now this avalon like lurched forward and closed it down to half, thats right half a car length at that speed, (5sp at sucks). Anyway at 125 I was the clear winner(back to a car length) and then he became very reckless as traffic thickened back up. I'm not 19 anymore. Bottom line, lack of a 6th gear is killer. I didn't lose this exhibition. However, at 100 he punched it and could reach down and grab 3rd even briefly, it gave a burst of speed instead of the rather pedestrian acceleration we get in 4th at the same speed.
    2006 m45 sport
    injen intake/sri setup/ gone and won't be missed
    custom exhaust
    20"mizzanos
    fully loaded
    2008 M5 loaded,what I wish the M could be.

They should revoke both of your licenses.

Street racing

Sorry, we don't have a race track around here. Its just for fun.

Hold on. Heres the script:

Driver1: (contending with doppler effect)"hey, lets pull over and use our two navigation systems and find oursekves a track"

driver 2: O.k.?

come on, you have never, ever, ever, not once exceeded the speed limit on a public road? You have never, ever, ever, not once gone over 100 on a public road? If you have'nt then God bless you, if you have, and I suspect you have, stop being such a hypocrite and read the post for the entertainment value and maybe the technical aspect of 5 and six speed autos at speed.
    2006 m45 sport
    custom exhaust
    20"mizzanos
    fully loaded

I see you drive the pilot. You all need your own lane anyway. I see why you are so anti-drag racing. "Midnight is to noonday, as M45 driver is to pilot driver" JUst get out of the way when you see me comming, and tell your wife to stay out of the left lane!!
    2006 m45 sport
    custom exhaust
    20"mizzanos
    fully loaded

Chris, until my post, you achieved 4/5 posts in your own thread

I don't understand why a 5-speed would be inferior in the situation that you describe. Why didn't you hit 3rd as well? If anything, since you have less gears, you should be able to potentially use a numerically lower gear than a 6-speed at any given speed.

Third was unavailable, the computer would'nt let me down shift. Though if I started from zero, at 90 third may still be an option. I am not a transmission expert, but I think with more available gears, that car could have a taller gear somewhere. I don't know, I just know that at 100 his car lurched forward, briefly as if it had downshifted to a lower, more aggressive gear. Now with what you are saying, in theory I think you are right. I think in practice though, by having one less gear, my 4th is his 5th and his 6th is like my fifth. Like if @ 60 in top gear he is at lets say 2000 rpms, and likewise for me I at 2300 rpms. Again I don't know, and that was the main reason for my post, to perhaps have a discussion about the transmission and its effect on different driving situations. The race itself really served as a catalyst for the thought.
    2006 m45 sport
    custom exhaust
    20"mizzanos
    fully loaded

"Third was unavailable, the computer would'nt let me down shift. Though if I started from zero, at 90 third may still be an option. I am not a transmission expert, but I think with more available gears, that car could have a taller gear somewhere. I don't know, I just know that at 100 his car lurched forward, briefly as if it had downshifted to a lower, more aggressive gear. Now with what you are saying, in theory I think you are right. I think in practice though, by having one less gear, my 4th is his 5th and his 6th is like my fifth. Like if @ 60 in top gear he is at lets say 2000 rpms, and likewise for me I at 2300 rpms. Again I don't know, and that was the main reason for my post, to perhaps have a discussion about the transmission and its effect on different driving situations. The race itself really served as a catalyst for the thought."

Socrates here:

Come on mortar man, we know jarheads don't think. We just do it!!! WHOOO HAAAA!!!!

It's different tho when we grow older, sometimes mature-get off the Budweiser and on Prozac. Cuz' then we start getting deep and worrying about the young studs; esp w/our wives et al. out there.

Slow down out there on the street; just having the M and that look of confidence on your face earns a hell'uva lot more respect. It's kinda' like "it takes more of a man to walk away from a fight..."

Oh geez, there I go again... sorry
    Jim

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." Albert Einstein, 1938

Thank you. You are probably right and i will do better.
    2006 m45 sport
    custom exhaust
    20"mizzanos
    fully loaded

Yeah.. arrogance without basis is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by christophersmith0341
    Thank you. You are probably right and i will do better.
    Oh geeez; that's just what I'm afraid of; you doin' better! Next you'll get nitrous and really show those toyota sob's what an M can do..:p!!!

Semper Fi !!!
    Jim

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." Albert Einstein, 1938

My wife drives an '05 Avalon Limited and I have an '07 M35x. The M definitely has it over the Avalon off the line and handles the road better but that Toyota can dig deep at higher speeds. Not to mention she burns regular and with the 6th gear gets much better mpg (26 commuting to work and 29-32 on trips). I'm averaging 21.x commuting and haven't done better than 23 on a trip.

Question: My sales rep told me to change the oil at 5k with regular oil and then again at 10k with synthetic.Seems a little high to me. I have about 3.5k on it now. I'm from the old school of 3k oil changes. Does 5k and 10k sound right to you?

Quote Originally Posted by m35x9766
    My wife drives an '05 Avalon Limited and I have an '07 M35x. The M definitely has it over the Avalon off the line and handles the road better but that Toyota can dig deep at higher speeds. Not to mention she burns regular and with the 6th gear gets much better mpg (26 commuting to work and 29-32 on trips). I'm averaging 21.x commuting and haven't done better than 23 on a trip.

Question: My sales rep told me to change the oil at 5k with regular oil and then again at 10k with synthetic.Seems a little high to me. I have about 3.5k on it now. I'm from the old school of 3k oil changes. Does 5k and 10k sound right to you?
    I'd go over to the thread about synthetic oil for this question. Lot'sa input-
    Jim

this is the most asinine thread i've seen in a while.

i have drive well over the speed limit in my day, but it was incredibly stupid then too. but at least the road was deserted and i wasn't racing anyone. the reason racing is so dangerous is the competetion clouds your judgement even more than it already is, as you said, he was getting reckless in traffic at 125.

oh yeah, i'm not going to take avalons seriously. anyone can put a big engine in a big car and make it go fast. who gives a ****?

Quote Originally Posted by cdlong
    this is the most asinine thread i've seen in a while.

i have drive well over the speed limit in my day, but it was incredibly stupid then too. but at least the road was deserted and i wasn't racing anyone. the reason racing is so dangerous is the competetion clouds your judgement even more than it already is, as you said, he was getting reckless in traffic at 125.

oh yeah, i'm not going to take avalons seriously. anyone can put a big engine in a big car and make it go fast. who gives a ****?
    Alright. You win. Calm down. Just don't punch me man. I really did not intend to upset you!! I know some people here are true racers, gearheads, whatever. I am not. And really most m drivers and other mid to large sedan drivers are not. I was just making an observation about the avalon, and you took it like I was talking about your kids or something. You sir, sound rather asinine. And what, you blow out some extra candles and "back in my day" becomes your stupid soapbox? Maybe I don't take this hunk of metal seriously enough for some of the jerks that lurk in fa.
    2006 m45 sport
    custom exhaust
    20"mizzanos
    fully loaded

Quote Originally Posted by christophersmith0341
    Maybe I don't take this hunk of metal seriously enough for some of the jerks that lurk in fa.
    I think it's the lack of respect for the lives of those around you that the jerks here at FA are having problems with.

Tens of thousands of people a year die in car accidents. Some of us here have been pretty damn close to death and yet are still alive (due to luck and nothing other than that). A few of those some of us happen to think that maybe if we speak up, we can help guide others along a path that won't put them in the position where they have to think, "It would really suck if this is where the lights go out."

Just about everyone on an automotive forum like this has driven their car in ways that weren't exactly prudent. Hell, once I had the CHP chase me for eight miles and once he got me pulled over, he said, "You're going to wait here. I'm going to go back to my car and calm down, because if I don't calm down first, you're going to jail right now."

At this point in my life, I feel fortunate to still be alive. One unexpected lane change by someone else, one piece of road debris in the wrong place, and the CHP officer could have easily have been telling my parents, "We had to pull your dead son out of a traffic accident that happened to also kill two other people. Sorry for your loss."
    Pushin Nissans since 1997.

Socrates here:

Blimey! And Iím not even the one to get so deep here. But you know me, Iíve always got my shovel out; deeper and deeper...

The issue is clearly one of chronology and maturity. Growing older is mandatory, maturing is not. Here in the USA at 16 we are allowed to drive all manner of high powered wheeled machinery. Insurance actuarial charts will point quite clearly to those more @ risk for death and destruction on the street. It is the chronological younger folks. Being chronologically young though, does not preclude one from maturing.

This forum is composed of brothers and (?) sisters; a family related by their love of a specific piece of high powered four wheeled machines. As with all families there will be conflicting views of the same reality. As with families, it might even come to fisticuffs. But watch out. CDLONG lives in Seoul Korea, and ROK Marines are tough!!

Some more mature (and we might also be chronologically older too) of this family might want to impart some of their hard earned maturity in the area of street safety. But what better place to learn a valuable lesson in maturity than from a fellow brother or sister who has already been there, done that rather than in the cold hard world of the street?

Damn, itís a bi_ch maturing; no pain, no gain. But then what are families for, than to aid in the development of familial maturity so that you and others might gain in their chronology?

Semper Fi jarhead !!!
    Jim

Driving is very important in this country, and practice makes perfect (for those that care enough to practice properly). Most do not, and drive like they live in the rest of the lives ... poorly. Illinois is increasing their required road hours for new drivers up to 50, from 25 ... Michigan has been at 50 hours (10-20 hours at night) for nearly a decade.

So where's that Nissan Maxima love? Nissan is weak, otherwise Toyota would be crying Momma! "DARE TO CARE SALES EVENT"
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.

dave, you hit it right on the head. i haven't been as close as you seem to havebeen, but that's still just luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Antzrus
    CDLONG lives in Seoul Korea, and ROK Marines are tough!!
    it's actually Songtan, but even fewer people know where that is so Seoul it is. also, i'm in the USAF, which means i'm far from tough.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlong
    dave, you hit it right on the head. i haven't been as close as you seem to havebeen, but that's still just luck.

it's actually Songtan, but even fewer people know where that is so Seoul it is. also, i'm in the USAF, which means i'm far from tough.
    Geeez mortar man, this guy is a zoomie! Why, we mud Marines eat zoomies for breakfast !!!

But then zoomies get to sleep :sleeping: in a nice warm bunk each night, and they never have to replay inside their :38: heads years later what actually went on in the mud way down here.

Come to think of it-we could learn some things from these smart asses..!

Semper Fi !!!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Antzrus
    Socrates here:

Blimey! And Iím not even the one to get so deep here. But you know me, Iíve always got my shovel out; deeper and deeper...

The issue is clearly one of chronology and maturity. Growing older is mandatory, maturing is not. Here in the USA at 16 we are allowed to drive all manner of high powered wheeled machinery. Insurance actuarial charts will point quite clearly to those more @ risk for death and destruction on the street. It is the chronological younger folks. Being chronologically young though, does not preclude one from maturing.

This forum is composed of brothers and (?) sisters; a family related by their love of a specific piece of high powered four wheeled machines. As with all families there will be conflicting views of the same reality. As with families, it might even come to fisticuffs. But watch out. CDLONG lives in Seoul Korea, and ROK Marines are tough!!

Some more mature (and we might also be chronologically older too) of this family might want to impart some of their hard earned maturity in the area of street safety. But what better place to learn a valuable lesson in maturity than from a fellow brother or sister who has already been there, done that rather than in the cold hard world of the street?

Damn, itís a bi_ch maturing; no pain, no gain. But then what are families for, than to aid in the development of familial maturity so that you and others might gain in their chronology?

Semper Fi jarhead !!!
    WTF ^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast