The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Chicagoland Traffic

Dark Energy Rules

Chicagoland Traffic

Well, today was another lowlight in the annals of commuting in Chicago. I'm at a stoplight when I notice that the spiffy mid-nineties white Chrysler next to me in the left turn lane has smoke pouring out of the right rear wheel hub and caliper area. An acrid smell tells me something is either the process of being melted or is melted.

Before I can honk or yell to get the older Indian-looking woman (as in Bombay or Mombai) to notice the problem her vehicle is having the lady behind me in a humongosoid SUV lays on her horn, demanding that I go on the green that has just turned - right into parking-lot traffic that starts 50 feet the other side of the intersection.

I ignore 'Ms-I-need-those-fiddy-feet-now' and yell at Ms. Mombai - she looks at me but either doesn't understand me (I'm yelling 'your brakes are on fire!' as loud as I can) or does understand me but has no clue what brakes are, and why should she care if they're fired?

She gets honked at by the car behind her - and takes off like a bat out of Hades:darkangel: - straight into bushes on the corner as her brakes fail and she goes wide on the turn. She drives over a bush or two, misses a signpost by a foot, digs up some flowers around an apartment complex sign and keeps on merrily going down the street, trailing mud and with copious amounts of smoke still coming from the right rear wheel.

Meanwhile Fiddy-woman lays on her horn again and earns my mostly-silent salutations of the day - but heck, there was now 75 feet of wide-open road on the other side of the light and it was selfish of me to even think of delaying her trip by the 2.2 seconds it might cost her to not make the light. (Traffic is at a stand-still for a half-mile up the road.)

I still love driving my G coupe, but I can't stand this much entertainment everyday - maybe it's time to take the train.

- Riff

Dust one mid-90s Chrysler with plastic brakes. If it's in the back of the passenger side, the problem doesn't exist. MOOOOOOOOOOOMBAI !

I have always been a Weekend Road Warrior, but I now have I-PASS ... and I'm avoiding the Northwest Tollway and Kennedy inbound on Saturdays. Hell, I'm avoiding the Kennedy outbound on Saturdays (inbound is much more exciting).

I'll drive the Eisenhower again if they rename it the Daley, otherwise I'd rather not be anywhere near it.

La Grange Road and 159th in Orland Park is a mess. Extend the North-South Tollway & I'll be there with my I-PASS. On the weekend, lol

Will the cops in Lake Forest be impressed with my I-PASS? Probably not, so I'll be sticking near the speed limit on Sheridan Road.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffster
    She gets honked at by the car behind her - and takes off like a bat out of Hades:darkangel: - straight into bushes on the corner as her brakes fail and she goes wide on the turn. She drives over a bush or two, misses a signpost by a foot, digs up some flowers around an apartment complex sign and keeps on merrily going down the street, trailing mud and with copious amounts of smoke still coming from the right rear wheel.
    She's just keepin' it real, Riff. I hear that's pretty much how everyone drives in India.
    1968 Datsun Roadster - SR20DET

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904

Dark Energy Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by detroadster
    She's just keepin' it real, Riff. I hear that's pretty much how everyone drives in India.
    I lived in Italy and what you describe is actually more calm than they drove over there - especially in Rome and Napoli, where every traffic circle was an invitation to an Italian Bullfight.

But it's getting worse here every year - people driving with their ego and trying to bully others with SUVs and pick-ups the size of small ocean liners. There was a post here recently about the ten worst cities in terms of aggressive driving, and Chicago was sixth IIRC.

I can't imagine how 'fun' it is in the five cities that are worse :( , especially #1 Miami - it must be like Rollerball with motors out there.

- Riff

Chicago doesn't have THAT many SUVs.

GCM entertains me for hours: http://www.gcmtravel.com/gcm/maps_chicago.jsp
    [hit refresh every few minutes]
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffster
    I lived in Italy and what you describe is actually more calm than they drove over there - especially in Rome and Napoli, where every traffic circle was an invitation to an Italian Bullfight.
    Very cool! I'm heading there at the end of next month. Sounds like our decision to skip the rental car and just take public transit was a good one. I can hold my own in Boston traffic but I wouldn't want anything more intense than that.
    1968 Datsun Roadster - SR20DET

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904

It's 11:11 PM here on a Thursday night. Why is GCM-Travel showing RED [completely stopped traffic] on the Eisenhower [Daley!!! ahem] outbound??
    It was like that when I was in downtown Chicago in February.

The only explanation I can think of is: dumb Napervillians! har har

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like they are doing roadwork on the Eisenhower.
    Napervillians, lol