The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infiniti EX reliability

Infiniti EX reliability

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly.

With the EX35, I'm hoping to have an initial result in August 2008. So far ten owners have signed up to participate. We'll need more to provide a result.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to help us provide results for the EX35 ASAP:

Vehicle reliability research
    www.truedelta.com
    Vehicle reliability, price comparisons, fuel economy

Nearly 20 owners have already signed up, so an August result is looking likely. At this level, though, every single participant really has an impact. So hopefully more will join soon.

www.truedelta.com

Now up to 25. For a full result in August, we'll probably need 40.

To help make this happen:

www.truedelta.com

36 now, so looking good for August.

Can always use more.

www.truedelta.com

There will be a result in August. All that remains to be seen is whether or not this result will get an asterisk for marginal sample size--with a week to go, we're a few responses short of the minimum.

If you've signed up to participate but haven't yet responded to the survey (via a link in the email you received), please do. And if you haven't signed up yet, I hope you'll consider doing so. It's too late to be included in the current month's survey, but there will be another update in November.

www.truedelta.com

Full result--with no asterisk.

That said, the repair rate appears to be worse than average initially, but still under one repair trip per vehicle per year. If the EX is like the G, it'll have a few glitches at first, with a lower repair rate when the 2009s roll around.

The latest results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results
    www.truedelta.com

Darn! ours is really that bad? :(

Still under one repair trip per year per car, so I wouldn't get too strung out. Let's also see if the number comes down with the November update--might just have a few glitches with cars produced early in the run.
    www.truedelta.com

Try This On For Size.

I have owned four Infinitis since 2002
    A. 2002 I 35 with VQ 3.5l V6 (40K driven)
    B. 2004 FX 35 AWD (Wrecked after 8K)
    C. 2006 M35 RWD ( Driven 75K)
    D. 2008 EX 35 AWD Journey (Purchased in July with 12K as of this date)

Not one warranty claim on any of these cars. No failures, no problems, no rattles, hassles or anything other than regular service (Oil @7500 K. )

Nothing I have ever owned ever comes slose. Period. End of discussion.
    MGuy (Formerly)
    2008 EX35 AWD
    Dark Currant-Stone
    Premium, XM, Navigation, etc, etc.

I have to agree, I owned a 2004 G35 coupe before the EX, not a single issue, a far cry better than the Audis I owned before.

I don't think this survey is to be taken to heart, the sample base is way too small to be of any reflection of the EX's reliability...

How large a sample base are you basing your opinion on?

That for the EX is large enough. What we're seeing are two fairly common failures, for the fuel pump and for the power tilt wheel motor. This might never show up in JD Power, since they survey only the first 90 days. It will probably show up in Consumer Reports, but not until November given their annual cycle.
    www.truedelta.com

40 cars out of a number of thousands sold, that's not much to base a survey on, it's misleading...

In statistical analysis, the size of the population is irrelevant. With the proper methods, you don't need a large sample even if the population is large. I know this isn't intuitive. But it's true nonetheless, and is the basis of all survey research.
    www.truedelta.com

Sorry, a sampling of 40 cars does not warrant a fair analysis of reliability, so we will always disagree, you state it is a fair representation, I say the survey should be discounted as another opinion on the internet without any real basis.

Here is the point I was trying to make:
    I have owned:
    2 Buick Park Ave. Sedans: Pretty good cars with great mpg. But things fell off.
    2 Mazda 929 sedans. Not as good as the Buicks.
    1 Chevy Tahoe: OK, no real issues.
    1 Ford Bronco: As good as the Tahoe
    1 Porsche 944 Turbo. Needed lots of attention.
    1 Ford Taurus SHO. The worst brakes in the world.
    1 Chevy Vega GT Need I say more

My satisfaction and delight since buying my first Infiniti could not be more complete. I do not care about the sample size, I send my money to IFS each month with a smile on my face because Infiniti "gets it". Great quality, excellent customer satisfation, helpful dealers, a loaner car program and more warrranty than I will ever need and a great resale value, high residual make these cars easy to own make for the consumate bargain for any consumer: A SOLID VALUE.
    MGuy (Formerly)
    2008 EX35 AWD
    Dark Currant-Stone
    Premium, XM, Navigation, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ianq View Post
    Sorry, a sampling of 40 cars does not warrant a fair analysis of reliability, so we will always disagree, you state it is a fair representation, I say the survey should be discounted as another opinion on the internet without any real basis.
    Do you have a real basis for that opinion?

Mguy -- sounds good to me.
    www.truedelta.com

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through the end of June. A big thank you to everyone who helped make this result possible.

With a repair frequency of 99 repairs per 100 cars per year, the EX35 remains worse than average, largely because of common problems with the noisy fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel.

With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to track them closely. The more participants we have, the better the information we can provide.

Infiniti EX35 reliability comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

I had the noisy fuel pump (replaced - no further issue)
    they replaced the steering column even though I had not had a problem - all in all very trouble free 51,000 miles!

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009.

With a repair frequency of 79 repairs per 100 cars per year, the EX35 has improved to average as previous common problems with the noisy fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel fall out of the one-year window.

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 42, and the percentage of lemons is 4.

With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to track them closely. The more participants we have, the better the information we can provide.

Infiniti EX35 reliability comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

Quote Originally Posted by f1dna View Post
    I had the noisy fuel pump (replaced - no further issue)
    they replaced the steering column even though I had not had a problem - all in all very trouble free 51,000 miles!
    51k already? thats some driving!
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...15156761865622 [kennyatinfiniti@aol.com][GTSPEC][VinnyTenRacing]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast