The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EX's Future Competition? The BMW X6, MB GLK-350 & Audi Q5

EX's Future Competition? The BMW X6, MB GLK-350 & Audi Q5

I thought some of you EXers & wannabe EXers might be interested in checking out a couple of recent online features profiling the future competition for the EX on the road & in the marketpace - vehicles which are either currently on tap or expected to be in the pipeline shorly.

Motor Trend has a First Look at the 2009 Audi Q5.

Also from Motor Trend, a First Look at the 2010 Mercedes GLK-350 4Matic.

And from autoblog.com, we've got a First Drive of the BMW x6

The X3 is the more logical BMW competion, the X6 is almost twice the price of an EX35. The Benz looks a little boxy, and the Audi looks interesting.

Agree with ya on all 3 points there. The Audi seems like it would come the closest to picking off the EX's target demographic.

Here's some .

i saw the q5 online a while back, and it sparked my interest

Quote Originally Posted by fish43
    The X3 is the more logical BMW competion, the X6 is almost twice the price of an EX35. The Benz looks a little boxy, and the Audi looks interesting.
    Yep.
    Not to mention X6 is twice the size
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 BMW 335i coupe AW/Cream/MT/Sport/Prem/Cold/Nav/CA/Sat/HD/iPod/Sunshade
    Mods: Quaife LSD, H&R Sway bars, OEM Front Lip, 19'' M6 Replicas
    See my garage
    2005 FX45/SAPPHIRE/WILLOW/TECH/DVD/XM/CHROME 20s

And half as attractive.

That's very subjective
    I would keep the word "twice" for that as well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my garage

We looked at so many cars we lost count. We even had a chance to actually check out some options that haven't even come out yet like the VW Tiguan

and the VW Jetta Sportswagen.

In addition to the X6, the GLK, and the Q5 which was unveiled today in China (saw it live on Audi TV)) there are others that will be interesting options as well, including the Volvo XC60

Saab 9-4X

Lancia Delta

Peugeot 4007

Renault Koleos

CitroŽn C-Crosser

Toyota Venza

Cadillac Provoq

and eventually the Lincoln MKT

I know some of these options will probably never make it to the U.S. even though the Europeans seem to be embracing the whole SUV/CUV movement, but it's good to see that the sporty crossover segment is going to be getting more and more competitive and that just means that the options are going to get better and better. The future looks good.

Fantastic, espressomac! You really did your homework, didn'tcha!

Your post offers one-stop shopping for people interested in this segment.

I'm still liking the lines on the EX the best though. And the EX's swoopy/cushy interior still beats 'em all as far as I can see.

Now maybe if Aston-Martin were to make a crossover of that Rapide concept car they're supposedly finally going to start selling....

I agree with you on the looks of the EX over the others. The XC60 and the Delta look interesting and the MKT looks pretty cool too, but for now I prefer that long hood look of the EX.

Don't know what was more fun, building the car shopping website or actually looking at all the cars we did. Certainly gave us fun stuff to do for a while.

EX is no where near Audi, BMW, MB in terms driving experience.
    We all know we come to EX because of look and cost.
    Audi Q5 is 7 speed, dual clutch transaction and 33mpg for turbo version and 43mpg for diesel version. These features make it million miles ahead of EX35.
    2010 M50 GTG

Quote Originally Posted by SAPPHIRE_FX45
    Yep.
    Not to mention X6 is twice the size
    Wow the picture is deceiving. It looks like a small hatchback to me, but there's nothing in the picture to give it perspective.
    EXceptional Woman
    2008 EX35 AWD
    Dark Currant/ Chestnut
    2000 Accord Coupe EX V6

To me, the EX has classic good looks and the perfect balance of luxury, sport and utility without being cumbersome. If I worked for Infiniti I would try to bring the beauty of the FX to as many models as possible, so I think they made a good move on designing the EX. To me the EX and the FX are the best looking vehicles on the road. Most of those above are too busy looking for my taste. I know that may make some waves on this board, but I am not going around on the BMW boards making statements just for the sake of being cranky...

In my opinion out of the above, the Saab and the Audi look the cleanest and most competitive with the EX, but the Audi kind of looks Honda-ish from the side. I like those Lincolns, I didn't know about the MKT till now. Looks cool.
    EXceptional Woman
    2008 EX35 AWD
    Dark Currant/ Chestnut
    2000 Accord Coupe EX V6

I've never been a German car fan. That BMW think is just ugly. But, some people will love it! I like the way the Audi looks too, but the interior isn't nearly as nice as the EX!

Quote Originally Posted by EXceptional Woman
    Wow the picture is deceiving. It looks like a small hatchback to me, but there's nothing in the picture to give it perspective.
    Definetely deceiving
    Probably because of the design.
    It is slightly longer than X5, about the same width, but not as tall
    Though, it sits about as high from the ground as X5
    Interior room reminded me of the X5 as well, when i sat in it on the auto show.
    Other than the roof, it's very simillar to X5, it's huge
    Having said that, it's clearly FX competitor, not the EX
    Other forums suggest the same thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my garage

Drive an EX and an Audi for a year, then get back to me

Hint: you may have to own the Audi for a year and a half in order to drive it for a year

ralt5

Quote Originally Posted by ralt5
    Drive an EX and an Audi for a year, then get back to me

Hint: you may have to own the Audi for a year and a half in order to drive it for a year

ralt5
    What do yo meant by that?
    I bought Audi A3 when it first came out. It is fast and fun to drive. Wife has it now.
    2010 M50 GTG

I just don't see why some people insist on hating in these forums when they own other vehicles. Why not just stay in the M forum and keep your comments there. It doesn't help anyone to hear what cars are better than the EX. Who cares, people get what makes sense for them. Obviously everyone has different tastes and priorities, or else the roads would be very boring and not much to look at. People come to this forum to get useful advice and share ideas. Why not try to keep it to that?

As you can see, I am very cranky today!
    EXceptional Woman
    2008 EX35 AWD
    Dark Currant/ Chestnut
    2000 Accord Coupe EX V6

Quote Originally Posted by kotoma
    EX is no where near Audi, BMW, MB in terms driving experience.
    We all know we come to EX because of look and cost.
    Audi Q5 is 7 speed, dual clutch transaction and 33mpg for turbo version and 43mpg for diesel version. These features make it million miles ahead of EX35.
    If you're lucky to be in Europe, that's all well and good. However, the US version, coming Q1 2009, is going to be a 3.2L 6 speed triptronic. It's going to deliver 265 HP and 243 ft-lb of torque, getting the Q5 from 0 to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds. So basically compared to the current EX35, the Q5 is less powerful, doesn't accelerate as fast, and gets here more than a whole year later. I guess in Q1 2009 we'll be able to more correctly compare the Q5 to whatever EX35 is available then.

Also, auto sites like Kicking Tires specifically indicate that the competitors of the Q5 are the EX35, the Land Rover LR2, Acura RDX, and the BMW X3.

PS. I agree with EXceptional Woman. I'm sure there are any number of Q5 forums where you can sing its praises. BTW, I really like Audi's -- I own an Audi Cabriolet and I love it. For us the EX35 is the perfect complement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast