The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on success of EX so far....

Thoughts on success of EX so far....

Like many of you, I was excited when I first heard about the EX and saw some pictures. I didn't want to get something as big as the FX or spend that much. The EX seemed to be at the right price point for me and
    have the right styling and technology features that would get me to put my money down for it. When it finally hit the showroom, I was shocked to see how small the back seat was. After thinking about for a while, I have decided that the back seat problem is just a killer for me.

OK, who cares about my individual purchasing decision....here is the interesting part. In talking with one of the sales guys at the dealership, he admitted that they have had a lot of problems moving the EX (this is from one of the top selling dealerships in the US...at least according to them). He said that they had many people who had put down a deposit on the EX before it came out ask for their money back once it hit based purely on the small back seat issue. He said many dealerships have been complaining to corporate about the "design flaw" impacting sales and his personal opinion was that the EX was a "mistake." When asked if Infiniti designers were going to correct this problem though a redesign, he said that Infiniti was "aware" of the problem.

Anybody else have any info on dealerships' experience selling this car or Infiniti's plans to improve the car?

Sam

It's not a problem for me because I have no need for the back seat 99.9% of the time. I am sure that my demographic is small.

What I don't understand is why they reduced the G wheelbase to create this vehicle. Could the same wheelbase allowed for enough increased rear leg room for this to not be an issue?

That aside, you have to know that vehicle sales are down drastically this year, especially anything that gets gas mileage like the Infiniti vehicles. People who need small SUVs buy small SUVs. The EX is not a small SUV...it's not an SUV at all. It's a very niche market anyway, just as is most of the Infiniti line.

The backseat and small rear door opening is a deal killer for me as well. I have high hope on the EX when first saw the concept but it's a let down in the final execution.

I'd have to agree that they made a mistake when they shortened the G's frame (wasn't it something like 4 inches?) and ended up with so little rear leg room and also minimal rear storage.

Time will tell whether this turns out to be a flop, my bet is that it won't sell as well as Infiniti hoped...

I agree with everyone

The rear leg room is horrible but, the EX works very well for me as I am usually solo with my 9 year old. I have sat back there and you really need to place your legs carefully to exit the vehicle.It fits a very small segment of the car buying population.If we want a family trip my husbands GS350 is comfortable enough for 4 adults. As far as the EX not doing well for Infiniti ; That works for me as I am happy I was able to get 7000 off MSRP in May on a brand new model. I can only guess what incentive will be available in December. I like being one of the few EX owners in my town. I've only seen 2 other EX's since March

Quote Originally Posted by G2FX2EX View Post
    That aside, you have to know that vehicle sales are down drastically this year, especially anything that gets gas mileage like the Infiniti vehicles. People who need small SUVs buy small SUVs. The EX is not a small SUV...it's not an SUV at all. It's a very niche market anyway, just as is most of the Infiniti line.

2 great points here. I work at Infiniti and the EX although smaller backseat room, is not a small SUV, its more of a performance luxury wagon (in my opinion) I know its not as low as a traditional wagon but its the same concept, only with tons of lux options and things women love. The funny thing is, the EX handles like a dream!

I had an opportunity to do a ride and drive and most of the instructors, as usual, are race car drivers (or at least affiliated with motorsports) And we had an opportunity to not only drive their technical track which consisted of water, soapy paches, slalom, sand, speed bumps, and dry corners... At the end of the day we even got to drift them!!! it was sweet and they were incredibly well balanced.

So, those things being said, its kindof a wierd car, although it feels softer and smoother than the FX, and its designed for women, it drives like a sport coupe and smokes the tires like nothing.....

As far as a demographic for this car, its VERY small, and with national sales at an all time low, this car isint selling worth a darn. Women that like lux and power will love this car, others are confused or just like the hip alternative to the BMW or Lexus......

Interesting, I wasn't aware that they shortened the G wheel base to make the EX...why?! Put the 4" back in in the back seat leg room!!!!! I just hope the Infiniti designers get what the sales figures are telling them and do a mid-model year redesign to extend the back seat leg room, then I would be happy to buy one. Someone mentioned $7000 off MSRP right after it can out. There has to be a reason a dealership would discount that deeply on a brand new car....they can't sell it!

Sam

Looking arund at all makes with models that get gas mileage inthe teens and you will see discounts $6k-$12k...yes, that deep. There was an article locally about some dealers having large SUVs like Tahoes, etc sitting on thier lots for a year now. they have to pay taxes on those vehicles, so it costs dealers not to be able to move inventory. Look at the manufacturers cutting down production of pickups and SUVs and either closing plants or stepping up production of more fuel efficient vehicles. Things are changing...especially with $5 a gal gas just on the horizon. Who knows where it will be by this time next year.

The rear leg room has been the primary complaint about the vehicle, but if you think about how the lines of the vehicle would be changed by adding 4 inches, my guess is that the profile would lose the sports coupe look and appear as a dowdy, awkward G35 with a hatchback - similar to the last 5-door Saab. I would not have bought that look.

I don't have many backseaters and a mountain bike fits nicely, so I'm a happy camper! At 6'2", up front its all good. I also like the idea of it being/becoming a niche vehicle.

One last thought about rear leg room - I tried to get comfortable in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee and found myself really jammed. From reading/watching car reviews for years, it seems to be the norm that the rear is characterized as tight for legroom/headroom/babyroom, so I don't think it is really that unique to the EX.

Quote Originally Posted by INeedNewTires View Post
    Women that like lux and power will love this car, others are confused or just like the hip alternative to the BMW or Lexus......
    Yeah, this is me (except for the part about being confused)! Lux and power are exactly the two things that mattered most when I selected this vehicle. And I do love how unique it is.

Interesting to hear from someone who works for Infiniti. I agree not for the broader market, very niche!
    EXceptional Woman
    2008 EX35 AWD
    Dark Currant/ Chestnut
    2000 Accord Coupe EX V6

It seems to me they could address the issue at least a little by allowing the second row to slide a couple of inches fore and aft.

Yeah, that sounds like a really good quick fix, allowing you to decide how much you need depending on the cargo and people you have at the moment.
    EXceptional Woman
    2008 EX35 AWD
    Dark Currant/ Chestnut
    2000 Accord Coupe EX V6

Like others, I have no need for the backseat so that was not a driving factor for me. I was most recently driving a Lexus RX 300 and did not want to buy the 2009 because I hear the body is changing for '10. The FX was a little overkill for me so I chose the EX. Not really concerned with whether it's a fad or not but I DO enjoy the stares I get from the FXers.

Worse case...I'm in a 2-year lease. Happy so far!

I'm using an EX as a loaner for the day and I will say that the car is very nice with regard to looks, overall fit and finish, standard and optional features. The EX has ample power from it's 3.5L powerplant and is a blast to drive. Handling on the EX very taut and nimble, similiar to the new G; you'll actually think/feel like you're driving a sporty sedan. While not the roomiest vehicle, it should still comfortably fit an average weight, and sized person 6" and under. I really didn't experience anything bad about the vehicle from my use of it, besides the fact that Infiniti is still using low-grade leather quality again, that creases/cracks extremely fast; and the fact that certain interior pieces have a ring of cheapest to it, e.g., steering wheel, and dash display. The EX is definatley a vehicle worth considering you're in the market for somthing of this sort.

Congrats to all that leased/financed an EX!
    2001 Eclipse Spyder GT (250k+ miles)

Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    While not the roomiest vehicle, it should still comfortably fit an average weight, and sized person 6" and under.
    6" and under huh? dang. i knew the cabin was tight, but that's tiny!
    ACCELERATING the FUTURE

Quote Originally Posted by fatddyslam69 View Post
    6" and under huh? dang. i knew the cabin was tight, but that's tiny!
    Nah, I'm 6'1" and had an EX for an overnight loaner. No problem with room. I'm not very big, though. Maybe if you're tall and have a huge ass you won't fit.

I should also add the the seats in the EX are incredible too...
    2001 Eclipse Spyder GT (250k+ miles)

Did you guys see this article:

http://www.motorauthority.com/infini...crossover.html

Let me quote the important part

"Infiniti will now add more rear-seat legroom as well as launch a new marketing strategy that will promote the vehicle as a worthy alternative to a sedan and other crossovers. Consultations with the dealer network are being undertaken to figure out the best way to pitch the EX to a greater number of people, rather than the EX's original target of couples and singles seeking a crossover."

I also saw another article, which I can't find, that states Infiniti is not making the vehicle bigger but they are going to add more room to the back seats. I'm not sure how they are going to do that without compromising trunk space or front seat space. This is a step in the right direction for the EX and Infiniti but it kind of sucks for current owners. It's just been a year.
    Cup: "Don't let it bother you kid, at my age I feel like a piece of $hit"
    Prime: "Ah haha, and that's who you'll be from now on Cup - $hitpiece"

-The rude Awakening of Optimus Prime

I had my EX for 7 months and nobody have ever rode in the backseat. Being kidless and antisocial isn't so bad. :sign_nothingfunny:

most EX owners rarely put anyone in teh back seat. I'm usually traveling with one other person most of the time
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...15156761865622 [kennyatinfiniti@aol.com][GTSPEC][VinnyTenRacing]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast