The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Anyone fit their EX with a towing rig ?

Question Anyone fit their EX with a towing rig ?

I know the manufacturer doesn't recommend, but still wondering if possible. The engine is big enough to handle the load. I was thinking of pulling loads under a 1000 lbs (i.e. snowmobile or PWC).

I take it the answer is No

Thank you, I thought it was worth a try

I certainly am no expert, but there are reasons manufacturers make/do not make recommendations. Certainly that should be enough. I imagine that there are other factors besides the engine...like the drivetrain (transmission, gear ratios, etc) and brakes to consider. Plus, it would probably void the warranty if you 'broke' anything in the process.

Even though the EX says not to tow anything, I seriusly doubt that you would ever have a problem towing something as light as a PWC.

Curtis makes custom hitches for practically every car out there and I am sure that you could have them make one for you that would bolt to the frame. As long as the tounge weight is not excessive, I think you would be good to go.

The fact that I can easily move around my Sea Doo RXP on its single trailer by myself and that the tounge weight is only about 100 lbs, the EX would probably never even know it was there.

If one wanted to tow a full sized boat, then that is where I can see issues but for something as light as a PWC or sled, I don't think it would be much of a concern...

Thanks bttek,

I'm thinking along the same lines as you, that under a 1000 lbs is virtually invisible to the engine, transmission etc. After all it can hold four adults.

The only trick I see is ensuring that it is installed correctly on the chassis. You'd need a good chassis mechanic for that.

I've seen people with small trailers on there G35's with no problems, so the Ex shouldn't have a problem at all.
    Nick

Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today - James Dean
    RIP Barney. my beloved cat.10/07/05

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Master Hitch in Palatine, IL installed a Class 2 (1 1/4") for me last November. I use it to tow a 1000 motorcycle trailer with 2 sport bikes. No problems. You can tell the trailer is there when stopping (allow extra stopping distance). I did notice that the brakes on the EX are not as powerful as the FX brakes. Master Hitch advised not to pull anything larger/heaver than the motorcycle trailer. Even the FX brakes could be beefier...two years ago towing a Goldwing through the mountains of North Carolina, I warped one of the front rotors in the FX....

Quote Originally Posted by satwar View Post
    I know the manufacturer doesn't recommend, but still wondering if possible. The engine is big enough to handle the load. I was thinking of pulling loads under a 1000 lbs (i.e. snowmobile or PWC).
    From what I have read the towing capacity of the EX is ~2,000 lbs and the tongue weight is extremely limited. However if you can mount it to a class 1 hitch you can easily tow it.

Etrailer offers a model specific class 1 hitch for the EX35. It requires removal of the muffler and OE muffler brackets but it is a pretty easy install. Although personally I think the torque spec from the manufacturer is a little low.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_I...%20Journey.htm

I have had three customers purchase hitches from this company and they have all had a positive experience.

Wiring is a different issue I don't personally know of any trailer brake wiring available for the EX as tapping into the rear LEDs is not recommended.