The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Adding Factory NAV to a 2003 M45

Adding Factory NAV to a 2003 M45

I've searched this topic a little but most of the threads are old. Anyone have part numbers or costs for parts involved to add NAV to my 2003 M45? Not sure if the parts have become cheaper since the car is going on six years old. I love the car and it's only got 37K miles on it...just thought I'd see if this is something I could add. Thanks.
    2015 Toyota Tundra Platinum (silver)
    2006 Infiniti FX45 (silver)
    2003 Infiniti M45 (silver)

You can't add FACTORY navigation to a 03 M45... start looking at aftermarket navigation systems
    Arnold Tijerina, Internet Director
    Cerritos Infiniti, 11011 E. South Street, Cerritos, CA 90703
    Fresh Alloy Member Direct: (951) 452-2277 or arnold@cerritosinfiniti.com

Cerritos Infiniti Website

I too saw on ebay some people selling the factory navigation systems off crashed M45's and Q45's.

But i think it might be easier to just use an aftermarket unit like a garmin or something similar as its both easier to use and more up to date w/o having to pay money.
    06 S2000, 03 G35 Sedan, 03 M45 Sedan - 4/6/8

If you have the technical know-how you could probably install a GPS from from a wrecked Q45 into your car. But again, it would probably be a very difficult task and require a tremendous amount of hacking to get the system to work properly. You would be better off purchasing the entire technology package from a wrecked Q45 and installing it into your car. The look and quality of the OE GPS is actually pretty top notch, and looks a lot better than those aftermarket stick-on devices.
    2001 Eclipse Spyder GT (250k+ miles)

I'll co-sign that. Risk vs. Reward.... or, the JUICE has to be worth the SQUEEZE and in this case it may not be worth it. Look into an aftermarket GPS.

Thanks guys...I guess the next question would be how much stuff is required. I've seen other 03 M45s with NAV so I know it was available in the 2003 M45s. Since the car already has the display, does anyone know what else I would need??? The DVD Player, the MAP button, what else??? Did the NAV option use a different display?

some shop on ebay is selling these pieces: navigation drive, map button console + screen, and antenna for gps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-In...mZ200233758236

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...mZ190231722143

last week they tried to sell this as a complete system for the M45, screen/ console, navi drive, and antenna
    06 S2000, 03 G35 Sedan, 03 M45 Sedan - 4/6/8

Thanks, I've seen some of their auctions, I sent them a question asking if they knew exactly what I need to add to my M45...we'll see what they say.

I just bought the entire setup from eBay even though I only wanted the cd in-dash unit. I'll keep the other stuff just in case something breaks.

AEConfidential, let's assume that the wiring is already in place in your car, even though it isn't a nav-equipped car. Would you still be interested in buying a factory Nav setup? If the wiring does exist (and I'm willing to check my wiring vs. your wiring to make this work) I will sell you all the equipment you need. Just let me know via pm what you're looking to spend and we'll see if we can make this happen.

FYI, non-nav has 5.5 inch screen, nav-equipped has 7 inch screen. I assume you need the 7 inch screen, navigation dvd unit, antenna and wiring in place to make this work. The only thing that would make this not work is your car not having the correct wiring, which we can easily check.

Rod

Thanks, this is the kind of info I need, I thought the NAV and non NAV used the same screen...too bad they don't. So I guess this involves a different dash piece as well. I guess my next step is to confirm if the non NAV vehicles are prewired for NAV. I know mine is not prewired for sat radio so there's a good chance it's not prewired for NAV. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by thirty7th View Post
    I just bought the entire setup from eBay even though I only wanted the cd in-dash unit. I'll keep the other stuff just in case something breaks.

AEConfidential, let's assume that the wiring is already in place in your car, even though it isn't a nav-equipped car. Would you still be interested in buying a factory Nav setup? If the wiring does exist (and I'm willing to check my wiring vs. your wiring to make this work) I will sell you all the equipment you need. Just let me know via pm what you're looking to spend and we'll see if we can make this happen.

FYI, non-nav has 5.5 inch screen, nav-equipped has 7 inch screen. I assume you need the 7 inch screen, navigation dvd unit, antenna and wiring in place to make this work. The only thing that would make this not work is your car not having the correct wiring, which we can easily check.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by AEConfidential View Post
    Thanks, this is the kind of info I need, I thought the NAV and non NAV used the same screen...too bad they don't. So I guess this involves a different dash piece as well. I guess my next step is to confirm if the non NAV vehicles are prewired for NAV. I know mine is not prewired for sat radio so there's a good chance it's not prewired for NAV. Thanks again.
    No problem. I would think it is pre-wired just because I can't imagine Infiniti designing 2 different cables for the nav and non-nav cars. Also, the 02Q premium has nav, but no wiring for SAT radio.

Check the trunk of your car on the left hand side (you'll have to pull the trunk liner) in front of the gas tank. There may or may not be a bracket for the nav unit, but if it is it will be on the left hand side. See if you see any wires clipped or taped to the side.

Rod

whats the update on this

rod is still posting so he might have some news....i had forgoten completely about this thread!
    Mark

2002 Q45 Sport:
    255k, IMPUL body kit, Parrot MKi9100, 05 headlamps blacked out w/ AAC Halos,Catz Zeta ballast boost on HIR high beams, Infiniti rear spoiler, rear upper window spoiler, 245/50/ZR18 tires, modded BMW 5 series hid fog projectors, burtman piano finish dash kit, X-pipe, removed rear muffler.Kenwood 150w powered sub.
    1999 XJ8 Jag VP 120k miles sold
    2007 Kia Sportage V6 LX

Quote Originally Posted by Dicemoney31 View Post
    whats the update on this
    Still not sure if it's doable.

To make a long story short I bought an enitre audio setup (tape player, display, dvd unit) from out of an 03M45 to see if I could a) put the cd in the dash where it should be, and b) get the option of satellite radio. The cd portion worked just fine. The glove box cd changer and the in dash cd player both use the same wiring. The tape and display use the same wiring. The DVD does not. If you check the service manual, you'll see that certain wires are off by one slot or more, ie 6 has been moved to 7 and so on and so forth. I have no idea why Infiniti chose to do this. I could probably splice into the wiring and re-arrange to see if it works, but at this point it's not worth it in my opinion. Juice not worth the squeeze.

Dicemoney, I never heard back on whether there was a bracket or wiring in the non-nav equipped M45's.