The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: 7th gen max = a36?

7th gen max = a36?

I thought the 7th gens are A35 chassis? Or is there something weird going on?

I asked a similar question a while back.

Thought id bump this since the 7th gen is still listed as an a36 on here and I've seen a few people on here reference it as an a36. Chassis code is actually a35

Quote Originally Posted by aceofspds View Post
    Thought id bump this since the 7th gen is still listed as an a36 on here and I've seen a few people on here reference it as an a36. Chassis code is actually a35
    Source of your chassis code info?

look at the vin plate

When you look up parts on courtesy nissan its listed as a35 also.

There is nothing on the VIN of any '09 Maxima to indicate it's designated as A35. At the launch of the new Maxima this past summer, Nissan officials labeled it as the A36. Even Courtesy Nissan can make a mistake on its website.

Why skip a generation then?

Btw: AFAIK courtesy's parts catalog is based on the FAST program.

Quote Originally Posted by aceofspds View Post
    Why skip a generation then?

Btw: AFAIK courtesy's parts catalog is based on the FAST program.
    For the same reason that BMW leaped from the E30 to E36 to E46 to E90/E92 when naming the successive 3 series.
    2003 G35 coupe 5AT Diamond Graphite/ Blk

Maybe somebody could look for the VIN's on some previous generations of Maximas, along with a VIN on the 2009. Maybe there are some pattern differences which might lead to a better way to end the discussion.

I don't remember reading anywhere about any Nissan officials saying one way or another about the chassis code (or whatever it's called).

chassis codes are not part of ANY vin#, any manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by Tried View Post
    I don't remember reading anywhere about any Nissan officials saying one way or another about the chassis code (or whatever it's called).
    You won't read it any place- it was in response to a question I asked at the major media preview of the A36 when it was launched last summer. You can read my First Drive review of the '09 Maxima in the summer issue of Nissan Sport Magazine ("A Wolf in Wolf's Clothing").

I work for a Nissan dealership in the parts department. I took the VIN from one of the 09's on the lot and ran it in FAST to get the Model Code. This VIN: 1N4AA51E09C****** produces a model code of: BLJALFZA35EUA-NB--

B= 4 door sedan
    LJ= VQ35DE
    A= 2 wheel drive
    L= left hand drive
    F= 3.5SV
    Z= CVT
    A35= model number
    E= EGI
    U= USA
    A-standard equipment

The dashes and "NB" are what specifies how the car is equiped, like sport pkg or cold pkg, etc...

FAST says it's A35, even the way the VIN is says it's A35. Look at VINs for previous Maximas:
    1989-94 JN1H(E)J01 = J30
    1995-99 JN1CA21 = A32
    2000-03 JN1CA31 = A33
    2004-08 1N4BA41 = A34
    2009- 1N4AA51 = A35

Perhaps someone at Nissan made a mistake and referred to this model as the A36...