The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Regular Gas instead of Premium

Regular Gas instead of Premium

When I went to get my oil changed at the dealer last month, the service advisor said that regular 89 gas is fine and would not hurt my engine. So for the last 4 fill ups I've been using regular 89 gas not the premium 93 just to see if there was a big difference in handling and mileage.

I've been driving 50/50 highway & city and have not noticed any changes in performance and have been getting about 22-23mpg. There's no difference for me so I'll continue use 89.
    EX35 Journey AWD
    White /
    Wheat
    Premium
    Technolgy
    Luxe Style

Navigation
    Roof Rails

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9 View Post
    When I went to get my oil changed at the dealer last month, the service advisor said that regular 89 gas is fine and would not hurt my engine. So for the last 4 fill ups I've been using regular 89 gas not the premium 93 just to see if there was a big difference in handling and mileage.

I've been driving 50/50 highway & city and have not noticed any changes in performance and have been getting about 22-23mpg. There's no difference for me so I'll continue use 89.
    OK, I'm not too sure the point of this post but in any case the car (like most others) will retard timing with lower octane gas. However, there will be decreased power and and the possibility of engine damage due to pinging/knocking/predetonation. It's your car so whatever. I just don't get why people risk engine damage to save $5 a fill up.

I'm surprised the dealer would tell you that too. However, it depends on where you live. If you're at a high elevation then yeah it is Ok since you already have reduced power due to the thinner air so the lower octane gas won't really make a difference.

My dealer told me the same thing about it being absolutely OK to use mid-grade gas. I will continue filling up with premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangofan View Post
    My dealer told me the same thing about it being absolutely OK to use mid-grade gas. I will continue filling up with premium.
    My dealer said only to use mid grade if I "absolutely have to". Personally I'd trust what Infiniti says over the dealer.

we're talking about $2 per fillup. sure you may not notice a difference in one fill up, but it's obviously not nearly a large enough sample in order to determine the difference.
    '03 Max (totaled)
    '04 Infinti g35x
    '05 Maxima
    '05 Infinti fx35
    '04 infinit g35coupe
    I have too many nissan/infiniti's
    Not mods...YET!!

Typically if a car REQUIRES premium fuel, you should be able to get away with using Mid-Grade without any knocks/pings or performance degradation even with prolonged use. However, you may begin to notice knocks/pings if you use Regular Unleaded for a long period of time and if your vehicle REQUIRES Premium fuel. If the EX only RECOMMENDS it, you should be fine using Mid or Regular grade fuel. If you're concerned about it just throw in a bottle of fuel booster once per month or every quarter.
    2001 Eclipse Spyder GT (250k+ miles)

^^^ What He Said!