The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is NO ONE buying an EX???

To stay on track.....still wait until they're giving them away. I like the looks myself. Rear room is the main complaint, but even with their intentions to add more rear room, it still won't be "enough" room for those complaining....hence, buy a different vehicle! Duh! You (digmym35x) state that rear room isn't an issue for your family so just wait until the inevitable if you like the drive/style of the vehicle that much. If the wait is too long....grab an old Civic or something for like $2000 which if you look at it....is still less than paying for 4 months of RX leasing, buys you time to wait for the EX to be on "clearance", get good gas mileage, and have an extra car around for inconvenient times. Just drive the budget car while she drives the M until you get the deal you want on an EX. Just my $0.02. Hope this helps.
    2003 M45
    2001 Monte Carlo SS
    1993 Honda Civic EX
    2005 FX45 (wifey's)
    "May your pain be champagne!"

How are sales of the EX in comparison to Acura's RDX?
    2001 Eclipse Spyder GT (250k+ miles)

Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    Not sure of the numbers but yech! We did NOT like the RDX. Too 'techie' and metallic for our tastes. We really like the interior of the EX - very well done!

Per the previous poster - I actually just extended the lease on our RX for up to 6 months and a good portion of that goes toward paying down the residual so we're in no hurry at this point. We are still leaning toward buying this car out as it only has 19+k miles on it and it's in great shape.

Hopefully some folks will start to see them 'giving them away' soon so we can put this to rest and get on with it .

Thanks again!

Jay

By the way - I recently turned in my M for a short lease on a G as I am excited to see what the 2010 M has to offer. So far, I really love the G. It is much more fun to drive than the M was for me. I thought I would feel like it was a step down but, other than it's smaller size, I actually am enjoying more!
    '10G37xS- Prem/Tech/Nav/Graphite Shadow/Graphite & I still got wood!
    '08 G35x - Prem/Tech/Nav Graphite/Graphite & I got wood! Gone, but not forgotten either!
    '06 M35x - Gone but not forgotten!
    Journey/Tech/Diamond Graphite/Graphite

The Audi Q5 is in dealers next week, you might want to check it out, though I suspect deals will not be had, and the price looks higher than an EX.

Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    Acura sold 2100 MDXs in January of 2009. In 2008 45,000 MDXs were sold which was still off 22% from the previous year.

Infiniti sold 776 EXs in that same period. 12,000 for all of 2008. EX sales were more comparable to RDX sales which were at just over 800 for Jan. 2009 and 15,000 for all of 2008.

By comparison the EX sells in Porsche 911 numbers (before the auto market crumbled). Porsche which makes huge profits on 911s can afford to sell in limited volume (now at about 355 911s per month).

Still Nissan is moving over 5,000 Muranos and Rogues apiece per month.

I don't think that poor sales showings for the EX or any other model reflect that it is not a quality product.

The reality however is that there has always been limited appeal in the U.S. marketplace for a 5-door hatchback versions of sedans. Tight budgetary constraints for manufacturers signify that otherwise excellent models are prone to be axed from their lineups. Nissan is going to need to invest a huge chunk of change to ramp up its plug-in electric line for San Francisco and Portland's plug-in municipal vehicle programs. Meanwhile CARB 2012 mandates and 2020 CAFE mandates are looming large.

Personally, I like the utility of a hatchback, but leave it to American tastes to always rain on a good party. Let's see how well the $60,000 U.S. EX will sell in the European market.
    2003 G35 coupe 5AT Diamond Graphite/ Blk

FreshAlloy News Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by athens64 View Post
    Acura sold 2100 MDXs in January of 2009. In 2008 45,000 MDXs were sold which was still off 22% from the previous year.

Infiniti sold 776 EXs in that same period. 12,000 for all of 2008. EX sales were more comparable to RDX sales which were at just over 800 for Jan. 2009 and 15,000 for all of 2008.

By comparison the EX sells in Porsche 911 numbers (before the auto market crumbled). Porsche which makes huge profits on 911s can afford to sell in limited volume (now at about 355 911s per month).
    Sorry for being repetitive, but as posted earlier on another thread, "Infiniti’s crossovers experienced a strong January 2009, with sales of the EX up 12.5% over the prior year with 776 units, and sales of the FX up 74.9%, at 1,417 units."

Just to put things into perspective, during the same period Acura's SUV sales fell 50% YOY:
    -- MDX: 2,124 units sold in Jan’09, down from 3,982 units in Jan’08 (-48.7%)
    -- RDX: 801 units sold in Jan’ 09, down from 1,483 in Jan’ 08 (-48.1%)

The Porsche 911 comparison is weird. How about the BMW X3 sales instead?
    394 units (Jan'09) vs. 1,091 (Jan'08). That's -63.9%, for those without a calculator.

I know some on this forum called EX's sales "dismal", but how would they characterize X3's?
    Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance. Plato (428 BC 348 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by Artour View Post
    Sorry for being repetitive, but as posted earlier on another thread, "Infiniti’s crossovers experienced a strong January 2009, with sales of the EX up 12.5% over the prior year with 776 units, and sales of the FX up 74.9%, at 1,417 units."

Just to put things into perspective, during the same period Acura's SUV sales fell 50% YOY:
    -- MDX: 2,124 units sold in Jan’09, down from 3,982 units in Jan’08 (-48.7%)
    -- RDX: 801 units sold in Jan’ 09, down from 1,483 in Jan’ 08 (-48.1%)

The Porsche 911 comparison is weird. How about the BMW X3 sales instead?
    394 units (Jan'09) vs. 1,091 (Jan'08). That's -63.9%, for those without a calculator.

I know some on this forum called EX's sales "dismal", but how would they characterize X3's?
    The increase in Jan. 2009 Infiniti EX sales from Jan. 2008 is best explained by the fact that the EX only started hitting dealers at that time and Infiniti spent NULL on advertisement. I have yet to see a commercial for the EX.

The increase in January 2009 FX sales from January 2008 resulted from the introduction of the new FX in January. The new FX has been getting a lot of favorable comparison press to the BMW X6. Across the pond even Jeremy Clarkson found it an affordable alternative to a Porsche Cayenne GTS. Had gas prices not fallen to half of what they were this past summer the introduction of the new FX would have been much rougher going.

It's remarkable how much confidence American consumers have in their predestiny for cheap gas.

The Porsche 911 sales comparison was only meant to show that EX sales have fallen to the level of a niche semi-custom limited production car, typically not a daily driver, that costs 3 times as much.

True if EX sales are dismal then X3 sales are an abomination.
    2003 G35 coupe 5AT Diamond Graphite/ Blk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12