The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: The EX underperform, why?

The EX underperform, why?

Interesting question here at Autospies:
    http://www.autospies.com/news/The-In...whelmed-44513/

The EX underperform in terms of sale, why?
    My guess is that the EX is not a SUV but rather a high small little wagon that really does not has any purpose for the SUV buyer.
    Maybe it should be a little more SUV, more space for back seat passanger and more volume in the back. Otherwise the car is sweet.

None of the entry-level luxury SUVs have really sold all that well except the X3 in the beginning and of course the RX. The rest are just too small for what people want at this price. Combine it with the fact that Muranos, CX-9s, Enclaves do a great job providing luxury crossovers at more accessible outlets and it just hasn't worked out well.

As much as I want to see the EX succeed because it is a beautiful car on the inside and out, it looks wwwwwaaaaayyyyy too small to carry that pricetag. And people look at it and think "baby lowered FX" and dismiss it as being too sporty, when it really isn't a sporty drive at all. So people that want a cheaper FX are let down, and people that want the cushy ride it offers never even test drive it. Interior and ride are EXACTLY spot on for success, size and baby-FX look killed it. Needs to be a lot bigger next time around.

The FX is already pretty small when it comes to SAV interior space.

With the EX Infiniti took the near mid-size passenger area volume and shrunk it to compact size. It's OK when you're designing a sports luxury coupe but not a crossover wagon.

Next time Infiniti needs to do a true wagon version of the G sedan, with some real utility, rather than a truncated 5 door hatchback.

Something on the order of a 5 series, E class, Audi A4 Avant, Volvo V70 wagon.

But all bets are that Infiniti will first do a new entry level compact coupe/ hatch to combat BMW 1 series, Audi A2, Volvo C30. From that platform a sportwagon version could be spawned to compete with the Audi A3. The next gen Volvo S40 is slated to be a five door hatch version of the C30, so this segment is obviously viewed as having prospects for growth.
    2003 G35 coupe 5AT Diamond Graphite/ Blk

FreshAlloy News Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by GroovinGTR View Post
    None of the entry-level luxury SUVs have really sold all that well except the X3 in the beginning and of course the RX. The rest are just too small for what people want at this price.

Demand is strong for Europe's small luxury crossovers

Automotive News

June 15, 2009 -- European makes can't get enough of the small luxury crossovers they introduced this year.

The Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLK and Volvo XC60 are bright spots for the three brands, whose U.S. sales overall have suffered in the recession. The new entrants are luring customers out of larger SUVs and sedans as well the Lexus RX 350 -- although the slightly larger Lexus remains the king of the segment.

The Europeans say they could take a bigger bite out of Lexus if they could get more units. That's difficult because demand is just as hot overseas.
    For example, Volvo Cars of North America wants more units of the XC60 with all-wheel drive, says Tassos Panas, Volvo Cars' executive vice president of sales operations.

"The vehicle is doing extremely well. Dealers are trying to secure more inventory," Panas says. "There are no cars lying around in port, and we are asking to get as many as we can from Sweden."

Volvo has sold 2,495 units of the XC60 in the United States. U.S. buyers are flocking to the smaller crossovers because they are roomier than sedans and ride like passenger cars but have decent fuel efficiency of about 20 mpg in combined city and highway driving.

The vehicles, priced in the upper $30,000s for awd models, are more affordable and socially acceptable than the brands' large SUVs, executives say. The large SUVs range from the mid- to high $40,000s and have fuel economy in the teens.

Ivan Drury, an Edmunds.com analyst, says fresh product helps. "The Audi Q5, Volvo XC60 and Mercedes-Benz GLK are all brand-new vehicles on the market for this year; therefore, they have the edge over anything currently out there, even if it has had a redesign," Drury says. "These vehicles can be considered part of their own segment."

The smaller, sportier European crossovers "carry the prestige of the luxury make but can be had for less than the typical luxury SUV," he says.

Leading in U.S. sales is the Mercedes-Benz GLK, the smallest and most controversial-looking of the vehicles. Since the vehicle's debut in January, Mercedes has sold 9,444 GLKs. Mercedes has 1.9 to 2.9 percent APR financing on the crossover.

Through May, the GLK has outsold the larger Mercedes M- and GL-class SUVs.

David Larsen, product manager for SUVs at Mercedes-Benz USA, says there are shortages -- especially of the two-wheel-drive GLK, which went on sale April 9. It has a base price of $34,775, including shipping.

Larsen says the GLK's styling -- resembling the boxy and military-looking Mercedes G class -- and its size are cited as key factors by buyers. That the GLK was launched against a larger, new-generation RX "could not have worked any better for us," Larsen says. A diesel GLK is being considered for the United States.

The Audi Q5 debuted in March; 4,377 have been sold through May. Sales of the larger Q7 were down 50.0 percent during the same period year on year.

With a base price of $38,025 a typically equipped version of the Q5 is selling for $42,800. Quattro awd is standard. Audi expects to launch a hybrid Q5 in 2011.

Audi has a 15-day supply of the Q5, and "we are fighting to get more production," says Barry Hoch, product manager for the Q5 and Q7 at Audi of America.

"We are trying to pull ahead model year 2010 to get more cars," he says. "We could sell more if we had more."

Through May, Volvo has sold 2,495 units of the XC60, which it launched in March. Volvo has offered one lease deal for $499 a month but no APR financing. Sales of the seven-seat Volvo XC90 are down 62.6 percent through May compared with a year earlier.

Volvo is the only maker offering loyalty cash -- $500 for a lease and $1,000 for a cash purchase.

The XC60 has a base price of $38,050 -- making it the most expensive of the new small European luxury crossovers -- but the average vehicle sells for about $40,000, Panas says. Awd is standard. And while the Northeast is the biggest market for the XC60, sales are brisk in California and other hot climates, Panas says.

"The segment has expanded dramatically because of all the new entrants, and we see XC60 holding its own," Panas says.

A front-wheel-drive XC60 goes on sale this summer with a $33,245 base price.

The Lexus RX 350 is the only model with an alternative powerplant. A new-generation RX hybrid is being launched.

The redesigned RX 350 went on sale in February. Lexus sold 32,614 RXs through May, an 11.1 percent drop year on year.

But Mark Templin, general manager of Lexus, says the RX 350 has been "a hit with customers, and it's the fastest-turning vehicle we have."
    Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance. Plato (428 BC 348 BC)

FreshAlloy News Manager
    . . . and the EX is glaringly conspicuous by its absence . . .
    Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance. Plato (428 BC 348 BC)

The EX is tighter inside than the others, and I don't think the styling appeals to this segment.
    www.truedelta.com
    Vehicle reliability, price comparisons, fuel economy

The funny thing is now we have been selling them like hotcakes. I only have 2 in stock at this moment.

Where did Infiniti go wrong? People last year when the 2008 EX35 came out were not used to the small space of the EX. It has a lot of technology which only 10% of the clients really cared about. Performance? It's a small crossover with plenty of power.

Also, looking at the gas mileage ratings, people complained why it's only getting 16/23.... the FX is 16/21 and a lot bigger in space.

The great lease programs and incentives to buy have helped with the sale and the overall price is very reasonable for the market. If they fix the rear window blind spot, it'll sell more. Personally, it's a very luxurious and comfortable drive. Would I buy one? I just think it's just a little too small for the US Market.
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...15156761865622 [kennyatinfiniti@aol.com][GTSPEC][VinnyTenRacing]

Quote Originally Posted by da mayor View Post
    The funny thing is now we have been selling them like hotcakes. I only have 2 in stock at this moment.

Where did Infiniti go wrong? People last year when the 2008 EX35 came out were not used to the small space of the EX. It has a lot of technology which only 10% of the clients really cared about. Performance? It's a small crossover with plenty of power.

Also, looking at the gas mileage ratings, people complained why it's only getting 16/23.... the FX is 16/21 and a lot bigger in space.

The great lease programs and incentives to buy have helped with the sale and the overall price is very reasonable for the market. If they fix the rear window blind spot, it'll sell more. Personally, it's a very luxurious and comfortable drive. Would I buy one? I just think it's just a little too small for the US Market.
    Same here. The EX sales have picked up for us as well. We are selling into our inbound shipments of 2010s. The 2010 is actually a pretty damn good value with the revised packaging. You can now get Around View Monitor AND Navigation free with the Bose Package. I had to double and triple check to make sure there wasn't a mistake.

The EX is not for everyone, but no vehicle is. The EX is a well designed and built CUV and if space is not a big issue, it is a good value. I would have seriously considered one had it been available when I got my '05 FX.

I think the industry is on the verge of a "climate shift". As companies make smaller more efficient cars to comply with the inevitable climate control laws, you will see the attitude in America slowly adjust. Smaller vehicles WILL see an increase in demand. Public opinion is a big motivating factor in what people perceive as cool or PC. Public opinion will change consumers minds and attitudes.