The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: 2005 g35 sedan "rev up" oil consumption

Hybrid View

2005 g35 sedan "rev up" oil consumption

Guys,
    I am about to lose my mind here, my car burns 1 quart of oil every month!! I took it to the dealer twice and they did the oil consumption test and guess what it didn't burn any oil when the tests were performed really weird! I found out they use Mobil oil so i used the same and to my surprise it started to burn the oil again so now one thing comes to mind did they put an additive in the oil to prevent the engine from burning it????I am really frustrated with this i have to check my oil every week and add. WTFFFF.Does anyone know what the additive is?? Oil is expensive!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]05' G35 SEDAN 6MT "REV UP"

It is not unusal for rev ups to consume oil.

Some folks have gotten new engines based on excessive consumption..
    Maybe they are getting tougher on it....

document your oil addtions and bring them to the dealer.

If your oil consumption is excessive they will eventually find it.

Since you ask if there is a"trick" to lower oil consumption, yes there is.
    you can use a thicker oil .
    Most Mobil 1 weights that are designated as a xw-30 ( such as 5w-30 etc) are on the thin side and hence more prone ot leakage.

a 0w-40 Mobil 1 or a valvoline Durablend in 10w-40 will leak less ( and the durablend is cheaper than the mobil1

Fred..
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Fred thanks for you input i appreciate it. I use 5w 30 so your saying i can use 10w 40? How about 10w 30? If i put a thicker oil in the engine how does that affect the performance?

your perfomance will be unaffected except maybe by 1 hp or some such, when your running cold

the published 5w-30 viscosity is more a funtion of the EPA test for mpg which is heavily biased to cold running and a manufacturer can squeze out maybe half an extra mpg in that test this way.

These are no BS viscosities you can run one step up form 5w-30 with no ill effects of any kind:

0w-40
    10w-30 ( tho it may not help your oil consumption its still a more stable grade than 5w-30)
    5w-40
    10w-40

despite what the manual says in summer in a southern or west desert states 15w-50 and even 20w-50 would not be too thick.

Fred
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

I tried using 10w40 and its doing the same thing burning oil.

yours is an 05.. are you still under engine warranty?

Given your model year I suppose you are just out of warranty?

it doesnt hurt to bring it to the dealer (again) if you brought it to them before the warranty expired because then it will have been documented history as a warranty issue before it expired.

If you are out of warranty. There is one more trick left.

Go to a high milage formulation for the oil while sticking with a 10w-40.
    High milage formulations include seal swellers and in some engines will reduce consumption (tho its along shot since in the HR the cause is usually loose rings)

Fred

My warranty is up. I took it to the dealer three times did the consumption test and passed smh. I don't get it....but i love this car alot and i will most likely have to rebuild the engine in a year or two depending on how bad it gets. I will try that High Mileage oil when i am due for an oil change, its worth a shot. My G has about 71000 miles on it.

AV

if you documented the problem while still in warranty it should be ok if it props up provable.

I have had good experiences with this corporation warranty wise.

In the event if it beocmes an issue you might be better advised with a used motor than a rebuild.

I once found a beautifl VQ35, clean inside and out, perfect compression hot or cold, + great leakdown numbers, for 1200 bucks

Freshalloy Master Tech
    From the best we can determine at the dealer, the issues with oil consumption on the 05-07 M/T g35's has to do with the piston rings allowing oil to be pulled past the rings on higher RPM decel while in gear. These engines have an exhaust valve retarder that may be creating more vacuum inside the cylinders off throttle. This has not been directly confirmed but is our best guess from what we know.

Jeff,

as a Chemist I always strongly felt that running the next thicker grade of oil might be helpful in managing this issue, especially in summer.

Like a 0w-40, 5w-40 or a 10w-40.. what do you think??

Fred...

Freshalloy Master Tech
    Unfortunately we haven't messed around too much with changing oil viscosities. I'm assuming that the replacement engines that we have installed have an updated ring setup that either has more tension against the cylinder walls or and updated design to keep the rings seated against the walls to prevent the oil from being pulled past the rings. If we do any of these oil consumption cars now they only send us a short block for repairs. I'm sure that a thicker oil may help but in the end you are simply dealing with a high pressure differential between the crankcase and the combustion chamber.