Thread: 2_Liter_Turbo's S13 SR20DET Twin Scroll Build

Thank you! It's far from over though, ha ha
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------
    92 240SX Coupe: SR20DET
    96 240SX SE: The New Project
    96 G20: The DD (SR20VE in the works)
    01 Sentra SE: The GF's DD

I'll post the details and the story of today, tomorrow after work, but here's a picture to peak some interest... lol

www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

So I showed up at English Racing yesterday morning at 9 a.m. They get started and find out that the shop that did the AEM wiring for me, didn't wire in the wideband o2 into the ECU. So that took a bit extra, they also wired in a switch for switchable maps (more on that later). So we got it on the dyno and after the basic stuff they went to turn up the boost. Well, the boost control solenoid was wired in wrong also, ha ha. So more time to fix mistakes. Started putting down more boost and power and we were getting some weird phantom knocks, when the motor really wasn't knocking. Turns out, the Evo knock sensor was also installed incorrectly (further back and closer to the head than the stock location), so he had to tune pretty conservatively for now, and when I get the knock sensor installed right, I'll be going back so we can get a better tune ironed out. Was happy with the work from English, would definitely recommend them to my fellow Nissan enthusiasts (before my car, they were working on a 1200 awhp GTR... lol), and I liked the tuning ethics they had (matched what I cared about).

Ok, now the switch. I got to California all the time (family), so I wanted a CA safe tune for when I drive the car down there (CA has the worst "high octane" gas in the country). However, I didn't want to be limited by that, so the other tune is for our high octane gas

The 403whp tune is with 91 octane CA pump gas (I drove down and brought up 12 gallons just for that purpose!). Ran on average about 17 psi.

I was running low on 92, so we had to put in a gallon of C16 for the 465whp tune. The tune is meant for 92, but until we get the knock sensor in correctly, I wont be running that tune on 92... just to be safe. On average, this tune was around 20psi.

Here's a stand alone pic of the 465 tune. The AFRs on the graph are about 1.5 higher than reality:

Car on the Dyno:

Left the shop at 8:30 p.m. It was a long day, lol. Front tire got a bubble in it also, so now I have to rock mismatched wheels for a bit until I get new tires (lame). Oh well, I'm just glad everything held together well (especially at 8,500rpm!). Car pulls pretty well now, low end feels like it used to, but the top end is there finally, which is what it really lacked!
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

Looks like a perfect tune!!!

Glad they caught some mistakes.

English has always had a good rep I think.
    Your car is incredible!! (makes me want to reminisce about my S13 redtop days)
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Thanks! I can't wait to get the knock sensor in right and get it back on the dyno!!!
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

Quote Originally Posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
    Thanks! I can't wait to get the knock sensor in right and get it back on the dyno!!!
    looking very nice and I am happy for you! congrats!

I have concerns, of course.
    #1 When you put in the C16, you still had the "phantom knock" I hope. Because if it disappears at 450hp on C16 and 15* of timing, it was real knock
    #2 That A/F curve, how do you know it was really reading high? You have an exhaust leak? Because you damn sure well can NOT depend on an AEM wideband for actual numbers. Mine would read 11.8:1 when the true A/F was around 14:1 at one point. those damn things are unreliable as hell. I also hope youve got it installed a good 4 feet away from the turbo.
    Last edited by Kingtal0n; 05-06-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Bioengineering
    Control systems processing
    RNA splicing

Quote Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
    looking very nice and I am happy for you! congrats!

I have concerns, of course.
    #1 When you put in the C16, you still had the "phantom knock" I hope. Because if it disappears at 450hp on C16 and 15* of timing, it was real knock
    #2 That A/F curve, how do you know it was really reading high? You have an exhaust leak? Because you damn sure well can NOT depend on an AEM wideband for actual numbers. Mine would read 11.8:1 when the true A/F was around 14:1 at one point. those damn things are unreliable as hell. I also hope youve got it installed a good 4 feet away from the turbo.

The "phantom knock" did not go away or change at all with the C16. The wideband (the sensor is a bosch, gauge is autometer, wired into the AEM) is about a foot down the downpipe. And I do have an exhaust leak, lol. And the tuner was telling me it was reading high. Lucas English from English Racing is the guy who tuned the car. I appreciate the concerned comments though! I went to the dragstrip yesterday (I did embarrassingly horrible... I haven't raced in almost 4 years, ha ha), and the car held up great. No smoke, good power, etc etc. It does smell a little rich though.
    Last edited by 2_Liter_Turbo; 05-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

So when you taking it to 12,000rpm?
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

Quote Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
    So when you taking it to 12,000rpm?
    Ha ha, hopefully never!!!
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

Little dyno video I threw together, lol

www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

Updates? How many miles? it seemed a little lean to me at 13:1 now that I look back. Wondering if you toasted the piston rings? Hope not...!
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

No, it's not lean at all. Not sure why, but the dyno sheet is showing quite a bit leaner than actuality. I rarely ever see leaner than 11.5, lol. I have a few thousand miles on it, a hill climb, two auto-x events and a sad attempt on street tires of drag racing. Still no smoke (except fuel), no oil coming out of the valve cover from blow-by or anything. It's holding up great! Except the throttle bodies, lol. I've broken two now, so I'm redoing that setup atm.
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

Quote Originally Posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
    No, it's not lean at all. Not sure why, but the dyno sheet is showing quite a bit leaner than actuality. I rarely ever see leaner than 11.5, lol. I have a few thousand miles on it, a hill climb, two auto-x events and a sad attempt on street tires of drag racing. Still no smoke (except fuel), no oil coming out of the valve cover from blow-by or anything. It's holding up great! Except the throttle bodies, lol. I've broken two now, so I'm redoing that setup atm.
    oh snap what throttle bodies? I am using a DOHC KA throttle body on my father's car because he wanted cruise control. the bracket is a little funky I need to make a new one (random rant :D)

I was always worried about those butterfly nuts coming loose. You have heard the horror stories I am sure.

As to your engine's bottom end health, I would just get some compression / leakdown numbers NOW while its healthy, that way after 20,000 miles you can compare results. My father's engine got slightly better from 0-3000 miles, the leakdown went down and compression went up. I assume because the piston rings got better "seated" over that time and perhaps due to some carbon buildup as well. It was a great re-confirmation that everything was A-ok. I do the same thing for computers when I first get them, copy the factory set of programs so if you do no want to restore you can just check your screen shot for what came with it, and remove anything extra. lol

to remove the carbon of course, distilled water does the trick. When it gets around 5k miles Ill de-carbon the top end and re-check my compression numbers to see if they drop. See what i am saying about comparison? always good to have some data.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

I totally agree, which is why I've taken numbers twice now, ha ha. It is due for another set though!

As for the throttle body, it's the factory SR20DET TB, but I was using an S14 pulley, which pushes the center of rotation further out from the side of the throttle, which does increase the moment acting on the shaft. So I'm assuming that is what is causing it to break (throttle cable still has slack at WOT). So I will be going back to the factory S13 pulley, which pushes the line of action almost to the face of the TB, and redoing my cable bracket to compensate. And I weld the back of the screws to the shaft, so when they do break, the screws stay put!
    Last edited by 2_Liter_Turbo; 09-02-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567