The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Z-Fever builds SR20 powered Z33 w/ OEM function and Drive by wire

Z-Fever builds SR20 powered Z33 w/ OEM function and Drive by wire

We just started a really cool build. We had a customer bring us an 03 350Z and he wants a truly unique set up. It is getting an S14 SR20DET. We are fully building the engine, making a top mount manifold (custom) with a Garrett 3076 (GT30R) turbo and 850cc inj's. our goal is to do something no one has done before though. We are keeping the OEM drive by wire set-up from the 350Z and running a dual ECU set-up. This will allow us to manage the engine as well as to maintain the VTC, traction control, cruise control, and all factory gauges. The S14 ECU does not run can-bus but the 350Z's does. This is a cool build. I hope you like it.
    Here are the pics as it is coming together. I will add pics as the build continues.

and here are all the parts we are using to build the engine:

850cc injectors

New OEM S14 oil pump

New .20 over CP pistons

New HKS 264 step 2 camshafts

New Supertech performance spring and retainers

New Cosworth 87mm x 1.1mm metal head gasket

New SCAT forged rods

New ARP head studshttp://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/301868_10150373688798296_296402898295_9772422_5538 780_n.jpg[/img]
    New ARP main studs

The engine has been sent out, hot tanked, bored .20 over, and honed. The crank was polished and balanced.

The head has been completely reconditioned and the new springs, retainers, and cams are installed.

And of course, this is the heart of it all... the Garrett GT30R (3076) fully ball bearing beast. This power plant should make an easy 500whp on pump gas.
    I know that some people will not like this build because we have taken out a perfectly good running VQ35 that we could have boosted and made 400whp or built and gotten more than 600whp. All true, but we have done 100 350Z's just like that. This is something unique that you won't see 50 of at a car show. And the way we are doing it is truly inspiring. I don't think anyone has maintained all the OEM functionality of the gauges and drive-by-wire.
    I hope you like it.....
    We have finally built the engine and are getting ready to install into the chassis. Here are pics of the engine build:

Installing the Supertech springs and retainers

The powder coated S14 valve cover. It is polished then black satin coated

Now we are putting the bottom end together with all new pistons, rings, main bearings, rod bearings, ARP's and metal head gasket:

New performance oil pump gears:

Then we installed the front timing cover:

Then we installed the ARP head studs, Cosworth head gasket, and cylinder head. Along with in the intake manifold, valvecover, and custom made exhaust manifold:

I will post more pics after we get the engine set in place and start building the custom engine and trans mounts...
    Z-Fever, Inc
    813-877-7600
    www.zfever.com or
    www.VQ35swap.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WOW!!!

A little off the topic.......
    I want to do a 1966 mustang fastback that has a GT package (hi-po 289 V8 etc) and pull uot the V8 and drop in a hopped up 200ci straight 6 w/ 3 1bbls

I have always believed that overbuilt engines wear uot a car long before they should.
    I like the idea of a 'smaller but stronger" engine.
    Mark

2002 Q45 Sport:
    255k, IMPUL body kit, Parrot MKi9100, 05 headlamps blacked out w/ AAC Halos,Catz Zeta ballast boost on HIR high beams, Infiniti rear spoiler, rear upper window spoiler, 245/50/ZR18 tires, modded BMW 5 series hid fog projectors, burtman piano finish dash kit, X-pipe, removed rear muffler.Kenwood 150w powered sub.
    1999 XJ8 Jag VP 120k miles sold
    2007 Kia Sportage V6 LX

Interesting! Looking forward to more pictures.
    I was sent to the hospital for observation. I didn't observe anything so I left.

Les

Nice! Reminds me of the SR powered 350Z Signal Auto did back in 2003/2004.

Build looks good so far, a lot of the same parts that I have in mine, lol. You should look into a good crank scraper setup, as SRs are notorious for oiling issues. Are you going to run the stock harmonic balancer or get an ATI version?
    www.2LiterTurbo.com
    --------------------
    92 240SX Coupe: SR20DET
    96 240SX SE: The New Project
    96 G20: The DD (SR20VE in the works)
    01 Sentra SE: The GF's DD

Awesome build!!

I understand the need to do something thats a technical delicacy instead of a simple and brutal solution.

Isn't that what import scene is all about vs the domestics ?
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

We finally got the SR20 started and all the gauges, drive-by-wire throttle body, speedo, cruise control, VTC, etc... works 100%. We even made the tachometer work by making our own timing trigger wheel on the front crank. That is the coolest part of the build!!!
    The only thing we still need to do is install exhaust, coolant, a couple hoses, bleed the cooling system, and dyno tune. We are running our own ROM board and tuned SR20 ECU.

Here are a few pics of the engine as it went in and as we wrapped up all the piping.

She is almost finished.... But she is running....

Enjoy the video (pay attention to the throttle body)...

Z-Fever, Inc
    813-877-7600
    www.zfever.com or
    www.VQ35swap.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One of the most interesting builds see on here.
    you guys never stop do oyu?:D
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

that was cool!
    Mark

2002 Q45 Sport:
    255k, IMPUL body kit, Parrot MKi9100, 05 headlamps blacked out w/ AAC Halos,Catz Zeta ballast boost on HIR high beams, Infiniti rear spoiler, rear upper window spoiler, 245/50/ZR18 tires, modded BMW 5 series hid fog projectors, burtman piano finish dash kit, X-pipe, removed rear muffler.Kenwood 150w powered sub.
    1999 XJ8 Jag VP 120k miles sold
    2007 Kia Sportage V6 LX

Featured Rides Manager and Resident Police Officer
    Any updates on this beast, I would love to see a dyno vid.
    If you want to submit for Ride Of The Month(click here): http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174296

"you never have enough money to do it right, but always find enough to do it twice".