The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supercharger vs Turbocharger write up

Lee,

thats good info about the HKS,

Thanks for posting it and helping Freshalloy dispel myths about SuperChargers.

Fred...
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

did HKS release a new supercharger for the z or is this the one they have been selling all along? from what I remember, the hks kit only makes like 320-330's so the 400 capable intercooler is plenty for it
    Thanks!
    William Perdigon

HKSPWRDZ,

Thanks for all info on the HKS kit.

I have been considering the HKS supercharger for some time now for my M35. My only gripe for the kit is the availability.
    M35 Sport

My FA Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by TMoney
    HKSPWRDZ,

I have been considering the HKS supercharger for some time now for my M35. My only gripe for the kit is the availability.
    +1 on that! Though I've had concerns about the relative low output vs the price, but HKS in general is always top quality. The cost of getting the kit up to around 375-400 whp is a larger drawback for me as well.

Intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by wperdigon
    did HKS release a new supercharger for the z or is this the one they have been selling all along? from what I remember, the hks kit only makes like 320-330's so the 400 capable intercooler is plenty for it
    AAM did all the work and tuning on my Z, we have discussed putting the 9lb pulley on my SC, Mike has a great working relationship with HKS, HKS told him that the stock intercooler was good up to 400, but Mike reccomended upgrading to a bigger front mount. On the flipside HKS also told him that a front mount added to the SC with the 7lb pulley would actually cause you to loose HP.

Quote Originally Posted by helldorado
    +1 on that! Though I've had concerns about the relative low output vs the price, but HKS in general is always top quality. The cost of getting the kit up to around 375-400 whp is a larger drawback for me as well.
    Cost, IMHO you get more useable HP out of the HKS for less money, than some of the other SC kits out there. I purchased mine for 5600 which is about in the same price range with all the other available supercharger kits.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by TMoney
    HKSPWRDZ,

Wow the Ms are beautiful cars, it would be kick ass with a supercharger on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HKSPWRDZ
    Wow the Ms are beautiful cars, it would be kick ass with a supercharger on it.
    M5 here I come.
    M35 Sport

My FA Gallery

AAM did all the work and tuning on my Z, we have discussed putting the 9lb pulley on my SC, Mike has a great working relationship with HKS, HKS told him that the stock intercooler was good up to 400, but Mike reccomended upgrading to a bigger front mount. On the flipside HKS also told him that a front mount added to the SC with the 7lb pulley would actually cause you to loose HP.
    I know your car - I was with AAM for about 7 months there so seeing the only HKS car I know very much who (or your car) is.

I don't know about having an intercooler causing you to lose power, that doesn't make sense unless we were talking about just numbers and not reality - an intercooler causes a pressure drop so in turn, it does take power - though it also creates power by cooling the air so it's more compressed when it goes into your cylinder chamber it's a give and trade - and i would highly recommend the intercooler regardless of what hks or anyone else says
    Thanks!
    William Perdigon

Intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by wperdigon
    I know your car - I was with AAM for about 7 months there so seeing the only HKS car I know very much who (or your car) is.

I don't know about having an intercooler causing you to lose power, that doesn't make sense unless we were talking about just numbers and not reality - an intercooler causes a pressure drop so in turn, it does take power - though it also creates power by cooling the air so it's more compressed when it goes into your cylinder chamber it's a give and trade - and i would highly recommend the intercooler regardless of what hks or anyone else says
    Were you there when I was up there getting the work done on it? I asked Mike about putting a bigger HKS front mount on it and he said it would cause me to loose power. I have had different opinions on the subject, and really its too expensive to do just to see if it works. I figured if the bigger FMIC helped the gains would not be that big, so it was not worth taking a chance on. I have a couple of other things to do to it just have to find the time to get it done, HKS DLI ignition and clutch flywheel combo, and I have seriously considered dropping the 3.9 gears with the LSD in it.

and I have seriously considered dropping the 3.9 gears with the LSD in it.
    3.917 and LSD FTW!!!

But I'm just a little partial to my 3.9 and Quaife. Awesome combo and the performance kills. I think you'd get better gains from that than anything else to your setup, why I'm looking at the ProCharger next year to complement it.

vrrrrooooommmmmmmmm sssssssswwwsssswwsssswsssssss pppppsssssshhhhhhhhhhh
    Thanks!
    William Perdigon

Having a little time spent in turbocharging bike motors for about 25 years I've developed a certain fondness towards boost, especially about 32# of it...

But imho even considering that both are forced induction your talking about two different creatures, driving a Turbo'd motor creates a whole new way of driving, while lag with the right set up is minimal compared to the old days, its still a problem, especially with the road course guys.
    Also letting off the throttle basically means we get to start over again.

Turbo's work well at WOT, feathering one of these is usually not a option.
    Turbo's with proper maintenance will run a very long time and I disagree with the post that they are hard on a engine, considering the HP they can make, they normally run much longer than hi performance/high compression engines, the motors that fail are usually not built to handle the HP the turbo will put out, remember a turbo is making very little hp when not under boost, so it should last a very long time, least for most street cars.

Superchargers on the other hand are making hp from the get go, little harder on the motor, but its there when you want it, press the throttle
    and you have boost, smoother and generally more easily used, good if ya gotta make a turn or two.
    But they take hp to run, unlike a turbo, its a trade off for what ya need.
    I like superchargers, and if I wanted a all out street rod, I'd go supercharger on it, the drag racer in me likes the Turbo, different strokes for different folks.

Its all about making either fit what you want it to, and then building the rest of the car to deal with what ever hp increase you want, hard to blame either, if the rest of the vechicle isn't up to the added performance, but I see it all the time.

Interesting disscussion going, some good, some not so good, but we all have a different exprience with this stuff, and have different views.
    But before I'd go off and spend a lot of money on either, I'd go find a few who have ran a few of these and see how they liked it.
    Both can make enough boost to destroy almost any street motor, be careful.

Just my thoughts, fwiw.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by sentry65
    turbos = dentist drill sound
    SC = jet engine sound
    I honestly think its the other way around
    http://shadowerks.com
    Dyno Dynamics Your Premier EMS tech.
    :thumbup:

maybe if you're talking about a roots blower?
    the turbos have always had a higher pitch than a centrifugal SC - they're usually smaller and spin up to 2x as fast

this thread is a year and a half old and there's a lot more insight we could all write about SC vs turbos.
    If I was rewriting this today, I would have written a few things differently and included a few other things.
    I'd update the post, but it won't let me edit it...

Quote Originally Posted by sentry65
    maybe if you're talking about a roots blower?
    the turbos have always had a higher pitch than a centrifugal SC - they're usually smaller and spin up to 2x as fast

this thread is a year and a half old and there's a lot more insight we could all write about SC vs turbos.
    If I was rewriting this today, I would have written a few things differently and included a few other things.
    I'd update the post, but it won't let me edit it...

I'd go along with ya on that, when turbo's start making lots of boost they have a very high pitched sound to them, I'd call it a whistle even.
    Easiest place to hear that is with semi's that are heavily loaded, as they go though the gears you can hear the whistle between shifts.

"A few things differently"?? that might be the understatement of the day..
    I hate to think of all the broken parts I went though trying to make boost work for me, every time I upped the waste gate a few pounds I discovered another weak point in the drive train and what should have worked according to others, didn't.

Good reason Speed and Spending both start with a S.

Al

ATI Procharger

Sup everyone I'm a new member. I'm putting an ATI Procharger in my 2004 g35. It only has 17k miles on it. Is there anything I need to watch out for? I'm looking to get any possible feedback.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegas101 View Post
    Sup everyone I'm a new member. I'm putting an ATI Procharger in my 2004 g35. It only has 17k miles on it. Is there anything I need to watch out for? I'm looking to get any possible feedback.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Hello Bruce and welcome here.
    You might want to introduce yourself in the 350Z introduction thread.

Also, following a search to find your answers....I would suggest that you make your own thread as this is an old one that was stickied and your post is a bit off topic here.

Thanks, I will be looking for your thread and hope to help you out with whatever I can.
    SCOTT @ RELENTLESS AUTOSPORTS
    Proudly building & driving some of the fastest Track & Dyno Proven, Daily Driven cars in the country

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12