The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: G35 Coupe question - was model year a big factor in your choice?

G35 Coupe question - was model year a big factor in your choice?

I'm in the market for a new car.

I've looked at:

G35
    G37
    S2000 (any year)
    350Z (2012 - payments would be such a pain tho)
    Miata project beater
    240sx project beater

I think the G35 is what I want. Good mix of lux and performance (and I'm pretty sure I can fit in it - 6 ft 250 lb here)

I'm looking at Wikipedia trying to see the model year differences. I found this:

"The G35 sedan underwent a major revision for the 2007 model year. This 2nd generation front-mid (FM) platform underpinning the new G is shared in part with the Infiniti M and has several structural reinforcements around the engine and rear floor area. Along with three times more laser welding and 16 percent more spot welds than the old version, overall body stiffness was improved by 40 percent. Single-pivot lower control arms in front replace the 1st gen model's twin lower links. The G35x sedan uses an ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system."

That sounds nice to me, 40% sounds pretty impressive. Is it important? Is a 2005 G35 (2005 is oldest I want to go due to what I read about interior refresh in 05) that much different from a 2007?

Anyone have any hands on experience with pre-2007 and post-2007 models?

Stopped by Infiniti dealer at lunch and asked if they could track down any 6 speed 2005+ models, hopefully I get a call from him. No MT G35s on the lot today.

Spent most of today looking at other things too, S2000 sounds really fun, 2005 WRX STI is in the same price range... very tempting there.

I wonder how those STI's hold up longer term especially if abused?

I have much experience with both generations of G sedan (currently have an 03 sedan weekend driver), but I have actually never driven the coupe. Being that they are nearly identical mechanically, I will say this: the increased stiffness of the newer generation (code: V36) makes a big difference. The car rides better, is quieter, and transmits less of a chassis-flex sensation over uneven roads and during the transitions of hard cornering. As wikipedia said, it has more in common with the M chassis and drives more like a baby M. The original G35 sedan and coupe were more "fun" and many owners will attest to this, but at the same time, they were rough around the edges and the more discerning among us may grow weary of the noise levels and rougher ride.

The engine is a big upgrade too. The HR-series VQs are smoother and generally sound better than the VQ35DE in the original (V35) G35s. I have read that the exhaust system, from the manifolds on back, was designed to give it the sound of BMW's inline 6s. While it's not as smooth, understandably, I think they more or less nailed the "tone." Play the acceleration of a V36 and an E34 M5 back to back on youtube if you don't believe me.:D

I check in on the reliability of many models in CR and mkaresh's site Truedelta.com. The G is unquestionably the more reliable, if not more fun and raw, car when compared to the WRX/ST-i. The S2000 I'm not sure, there doesn't seem to be much data.

Bear in mind that the wikipedia article you quoted is talking about the sedan's redesign in 2007. The coupe continued one more model year with the old bodystyle; the 07 coupe was a V35 and the 07 sedan was a V36 with all those chassis and engine upgrades. When the coupe was redesigned in 2008, it received the VQ37HR engine with VVEL (making it even more smooth and responsive) and so became the "G37." There was no second-generation G35 coupe because unlike the sedan, the coupe was redesigned with the larger engine from day one.

^^^ What Jay said !!

I have no problem fitting into my '03 G35 sedan & I'm taller (6'2") and heavier (MYOB) than you. I find the seats on our '09 coupe tight and I had a real issue with headroom on the early coupes.
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

Some ahs already been stated ut I look for years with small but useful changes.
    I prefer 04's over 03's, 06 over 05's (if manual due to engine change) etc.

The V36 is an improment but it still has a hefty premium in the price as a used car.
    Personally I feel , given the relibility and longevity of the G35 that some of the best buys would be well kept 03-06's.
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

I agree with Fred. Despite the inflated used car prices we are seeing, especially with Japanese makes, the 03-06 Gs are the best deal on the market. They are just ultra-reliable, fun, and can be had in immaculate condition with low miles for the price of a new Versa.

The V36s are still a bit pricey, i.e. you will be hard-pressed to find a really good one for < $20k. However, once the V37 comes out in a couple years, the V36s will be in the current V35 price range. And this is perfect for me because I will be graduating from college a couple years after that.

G35 Coupe Info

Yes, the model year was a big factor in my choice. In 2002 the only available model year was the 2003. I still own the car December 16th will be 10 years. I've got 21,350 miles on it. Drive it for shear pleasure only. It's like owning a 10 year old new car.

The 2003-2004 6MT came with the much coveted Brembo brakes. They were only available on the 6MT. In 2005 the 6MT's lost the Brembo's but the engine was changed to the VQ35 HR (high rev motor) which bumped up the horsepower. Again the HR was not available on the AT model. Unfortunately, some HR's had oil consumption problems (bad rings). The only fix was replacing the motor which was covered by warranty. OC did not affect every HR engine and there is no way to determine hqw many engines were replaced...only Infiniti knows and thery're not talking. Fortunately most of the oil consumption motors would have shown up and been replaced by now. From 2003 to 2007 every year there were improvements made to the interiors. Each model year brought refinement and added features. The 2006 model year added halogen headlights (I replaced my 2003 projectors with the 2006 halogens as have a lot of 2003-2005 owners. Later model years come with forged Ray's wheels which are an improvement over the original wheel and tire package. The original wheels were made by Enkei I believe.

Now for price. Price is really going to be determined by mileage and number of owners. It is becoming increasingly harder to find low mileage, unmodified stock G35's. They are still very desireable cars. For an early model year 2003-2005 with 90,000 to 100,000+ you could pay $8,000 to $11,000. A low mileage 2003 in perfect condition (like mine) could bring $18,000 to $19,000. Mine will never be for sale. Prices are really all over the place. You can get a better idea by checking www.autotrader.com or www.cars.com. I personnaly prefer the G35 to the G37 but, thats just my preference. you really can't go wrong with either. The best advice for buying a G35...low mileage, one owner, maintenance records and a trip to a qualified Infiniti mechanic to look over the car before you purchase.

You also mentioned Miata's. I also own a 1990 Mariner Blue Miata purchased in Dec 1989. Going on 23 years of ownership. Car has 72,000 miles on it. I have never experienced a single problem other than age related normal maintenance. It runs as strong today as it did in 1989. NA Miata's with decent mileage can be had for $5,000 or less. No problems getting parts and relatively cheap to repair and easy to work on. You could pick up a beater for as little as $500. But be prepared to spend about $2,000 to bring it to DD status.

Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by BlkCoupe; 05-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Blk Coupe:

Great post... I see you joined in 03 .. we'd love to see you more often
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Been around awhile!

Thanks Palmerwind I first came to this site in 2002 prior to purchasing my car. I foundly remember the heyday of this site. There was so much enthusiasm and excitement. Unfortunately, with the drop in price and the age of the G35 the entusiasm has shifted to modding, body kits, 20 inch wheels and slamming. On the bright side modifying these cars only depreciates there value while making cars like mine increase in value. Yes I will be coming back. I rarely post to the other G35 sites because I have nothing to add on modding. I do post occasionaly and seem to have a habit of being the last poster to a thread. I bought my car as a retirement present to myself so I'm not into slamming.

Cool Factory Original is at a premium...

Quote Originally Posted by BlkCoupe View Post
    Thanks Palmerwind I first came to this site in 2002 prior to purchasing my car. I foundly remember the heyday of this site. There was so much enthusiasm and excitement. Unfortunately, with the drop in price and the age of the G35 the entusiasm has shifted to modding, body kits, 20 inch wheels and slamming. On the bright side modifying these cars only depreciates there value while making cars like mine increase in value. Yes I will be coming back. I rarely post to the other G35 sites because I have nothing to add on modding. I do post occasionaly and seem to have a habit of being the last poster to a thread. I bought my car as a retirement present to myself so I'm not into slamming.
    You make a good point; factory stock/original cars with low-to-moderate mileage are in high demand - especially 6MT G35 coupes and sedans.

A dealer friend bugs me every year to sell him (or trade-in) our '04 6MT sedan (16K miles) and/or our '06 6MT coupe (21K miles). We've no intention of selling or trading, but he won't desist. It's kinda become an annual joke - he knows it because his offers are ludicrously high. He just laughs and assures us that he'd still make plenty on the resale. At any rate, I get to test drive the models when they come out... In his case, I guess hope springs eternal.

Mike that's real interesting about your dealer.
    Hopefully if you ever do buy a G37 your offer your cars to the membership here first

Cool Still loving my 04 6MT Coupe

When I got my 04 Coupe, I had to decide between a leftover 04 and the then new 05. I went with the 04 because of the Brembos and because I liked the original dash better than the 05. I have about 30k on it now and still have the original Brembos. I replaced the original tires about a year ago. I don't drive like an old lady so I am surprised that I have gotten good mileage out of the Brembos. The only thing I have added is a Parrot bluetooth which required the installer to take apart some of the dash, but everything looks original. So, I now have bluetooth for my iPhone and streaming of music and podcasts from the iPhone music app wirelessly. It can also be plugged in to charge the battery and get a little better sound, although not really noticeable since the G has some road noise anyway. The lack of bluetooth was the only reason I would consider trading for something new.

After almost 8 years, I have yet to come across another car that would inspire me to trade. It's still very much a love affair with my G. Mechanically, it has been very reliable and when I clean it up with a clay bar and a good detail, I still get compliments. It drives, accelerates and shifts like new, still loves hairpin turns, and has the sexy exhaust note that encourages me to drive with my window and sunroof open. And its paid for.

We also have an 06 M45 with low miles and that car is also a keeper. Everyone who rides in it (or who is lucky enough to get a chance to drive it) is amazed by its virtues.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the G's. If you find a nice 04, there is no good reason not to pull the trigger. Happy hunting.

I remember those days, when the G coupe was the rage... It wasn't released yet and everyone wanted one back in 2003... I paid sticker for mine (33k) and waited 3 months for it (6mt, performance) in 2004, still have mine... I've been waiting to feel that same "rush" for the next coupe to WOW me, unfortunately no manufacture has stepped to the plate... Sadly Infiniti has missed the mnark with the G37, Q60, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by djcox2112 View Post
    I remember those days, when the G coupe was the rage... It wasn't released yet and everyone wanted one back in 2003... I paid sticker for mine (33k) and waited 3 months for it (6mt, performance) in 2004, still have mine... I've been waiting to feel that same "rush" for the next coupe to WOW me, unfortunately no manufacture has stepped to the plate... Sadly Infiniti has missed the mnark with the G37, Q60, etc....
    I been checking out the classic lines of 03/04 Coupes again lately...

Those cars have a timeless look. especially with the original wheels..