The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Do you think the g35 stands a chance of becoming a classic

Do you think the g35 stands a chance of becoming a classic

I recently read an article on MSNBC that listed cars they thought would become classics. One of the cars was the Subi BRZ. This leads me to consider if the early G35's might become a classic or at least increase in value as more G's are moded beyond recognization, totaled, or are pushing over 80,000 miles (that's a babe) alot of young guy's are buying them at over 100,000 miles. My personal opinion is that they stand a very good chance. With the demise of the Mazda RX7, the Mitubishi spyder, the MR2 spyder (all great cars). The 350Z and it's dressed up sibling our G35's filled an ignored niche. In my opinion the G35 both sedan and coupe resurrected the Infiniti brand. If you've checked with Autotrader lately the G Coupe prices are good. My OB 5AT 2003 Coupe with 22,568 miles on it. Has a KB retail value of $19,505. I was recently offered $16,500 from a we finance everybody (come on down). Now, I am not nieve enough to believe that alot of people are going to be throwing money at me to get my coupe. But, I'm hanging onto the belief that if you have an exceptional car in the future it's value will increase. I would welcome your opinions.

Actually thats, what I was thinking about all along.

The lines are pretty timeless and it looks good even now.

I dont know if they didnt make too many but it really is a perfect car especially the Coupes
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

I would agree w/ fred.

My only thought is that in the used car, 20 something market, they cant 'see' the difference between the 350/G35 so you have to look at the aggragate total to determine 'scarcity'. The other sports cars you mentioned are only under one brand for each. and tend to have a short life span. (except the Rx7 which had 2 different models)

But any time you can keep a 'sports car' clean w/ low miles it will always be worth more than the market low.
    Mark

2002 Q45 Sport:
    255k, IMPUL body kit, Parrot MKi9100, 05 headlamps blacked out w/ AAC Halos,Catz Zeta ballast boost on HIR high beams, Infiniti rear spoiler, rear upper window spoiler, 245/50/ZR18 tires, modded BMW 5 series hid fog projectors, burtman piano finish dash kit, X-pipe, removed rear muffler.Kenwood 150w powered sub.
    1999 XJ8 Jag VP 120k miles sold
    2007 Kia Sportage V6 LX

Quote Originally Posted by mcrewsQ View Post
    I would agree w/ fred.

My only thought is that in the used car, 20 something market, they cant 'see' the difference between the 350/G35 so you have to look at the aggragate total to determine 'scarcity'. The other sports cars you mentioned are only under one brand for each. and tend to have a short life span. (except the Rx7 which had 2 different models)

But any time you can keep a 'sports car' clean w/ low miles it will always be worth more than the market low.
    That is really good to hear...that means that my 1989...model year 1990 Miata (70,000) miles will be worth something some day.

That same 20 something market...in my opinion will be responsible for destroying so many G35's (modding, wrecking) as I stated before I'm seeing so many young people buying 75,000 mile plus coupes...that if driven as they should be (and are) driven (aggressively) they will be showing up in the junk yards.

One can only hope...or I've been saving my first year G for nothing. It does however give me great pleasure to drive a 10 year old car that still has that new car smell.

I'm not sure any of todays cars will eventually be considered classics in the same way they are today. I think the complications of keeping all of the electronics going will make it difficult for most to keep them original. There has to be enough demand for a particular part for the aftermarket to consider remaking them. The Z will stand a better chance in that regard. Right now the cost of new is prohibitive for many and low interest rates on used cars is keeping prices high.

I don't plan on ever parting with my high-mileage sedan. I think that lower-mileage coupes and perhaps some sedans- the rare sport packages and 6MTs come to mind- will achieve classic status at the end of the day. With my car, the doggie door might be a factor, as that feature only lasted the first few months of production. The V35 is so fun and actually very simple by today's standards (I wouldn't worry too much about electronic overkill- the car's first and foremost a mechanically excellent machine). In the future, I may even look for another one with low mileage, versus getting a newer G37 or Q50. I love the Q50 and all but the second Great Depression has me thinking that I'd rather make a million before gambling on a car that's <10 years old and expensive as all **** to be had with reasonable mileage.
    Last edited by JayG35; 05-18-2013 at 11:06 AM.

I sure hope so. I'm the original owner of a pristine 04 G35 Coupe with Ivory Pearl/Graphite and 54,000 miles. I just saw a fairly rough 05 Coupe on a Car Max lot with 72K where they don't negotiate prices for $18,900! Many enthusiasts seem to like the lines of the First series of the G35 Coupe with it's ageless lines. Very encouraging when I decide to sell as I still see early models fetching big numbers when they are well kept with low miles. Right now I have my eyes on the 2014 Porsche Cayman as a replacement. If I make the plunge I will definitely sell my G on my own. I'll keep you guys posted.
    2004 G35 Coupe/Ivory Pearl/Graphite/5AT/Premium/Clear Bra Original Owner SOLD 2/4/14
    2006 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl Original Owner Sold 1/17/17
    2017 QX50 White/Graphite every package including Tech
    2001 LS430 Silver/Grey/Nav
    2010 Jaguar XK Coupe Liquid Silver/Charcoal 7,000 miles

Bubble Burster

I just looked at the prices of a base G w/ nav from 2010 down to 2003. Prices drop steadily with the biggest hit of $6K coming from the 37 to the 35. (may reflect ability to finance) And, a 03 manual is worth less than an automatic.

Whereas a '69 Camaro SS in perfect shape has increased in value by $42K. Likely ballpark increase at twice the rate of inflation.

Manufacturers only support these cars for so long. There will never be a 50 year old G in original condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Indemand View Post
    I just looked at the prices of a base G w/ nav from 2010 down to 2003. Prices drop steadily with the biggest hit of $6K coming from the 37 to the 35. (may reflect ability to finance) And, a 03 manual is worth less than an automatic.

Whereas a '69 Camaro SS in perfect shape has increased in value by $42K. Likely ballpark increase at twice the rate of inflation.

Manufacturers only support these cars for so long. There will never be a 50 year old G in original condition.
    Although rare, you can find a 1970 240Z in original condition and that is 43 years old!
    2004 G35 Coupe/Ivory Pearl/Graphite/5AT/Premium/Clear Bra Original Owner SOLD 2/4/14
    2006 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl Original Owner Sold 1/17/17
    2017 QX50 White/Graphite every package including Tech
    2001 LS430 Silver/Grey/Nav
    2010 Jaguar XK Coupe Liquid Silver/Charcoal 7,000 miles

You are 100% correct. Cars were simple then. New cars have way too much to go wrong to allow them to past the test of the time.

Solid frames. Many more models and common parts. They have half a chance. The G is a good car, just not likely collectible. If somehow they do survive they just might be. Just tough getting there.

The other thing most of the older classics (especially the muscle & pony cars) had going for them was gigantic production numbers of the base car. So even tho a Hemi 'Cuda was low production (and now rare & collectable), it shared 90% of it's components with the 100,000+ others that got produced, meaning it's tons easier to find parts. Being much simpler, it's also easier to make parts in many cases even when you can't find one.

New cars, with the unique electronics will make that next to impossible. It would be insane expensive to try & reproduce a BCM or ECM/TCM for a G or any other modern car.

There also has to be strong interest & demand to drive the market. The reason some of the muscle cars are so collectable is guys like me that grew up lusting after them (but were too young to afford them at the time) now have the means to fulfill those adolecent dreams You don't see 25 year old guys bidding these cars @ the big auctions. The $64M question is, is there going to be that level of lust at some point for these cars?
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

The G35 was produced in good number and shares a lot of components with the 350Z which was also made in good numbers
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

The 90-95 Z along with the Supra of the time are collectible. Now you won't see a Chrysler Conquest or a Mitsubishi whatever. I think they all broke. We will have to wait to see if the modern Z shares the same success. Personal feeling includes much doubt for the new ones. Reason being more competition. The current Z is good but not ahead of its time like those of yore.

Gosh, I certainly hope so as well. Still driving and enjoying my 2004 6MT Coupe, and just passed 47K on the clock. Just refreshed the front suspension (whiteline bushings, new compression rod bushings, end links) and rotors, and it feels like a new car again. Encouraging to see the used values on these, though I would hate to sell it. I suppose a nice M3 or a 911 could sway me though :-)
    {SOLD} '04.5 6MT DG/G Coupe|HR Y-Pipe|5/16 MD ISO Spacer |Revup Airbox|Tanabe Exhaust|Uprev Tune|Tokico D-Specs|Stillen Sways|Customer powdercoated RAYS