The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: 2015 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG (W222)

2015 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG (W222)

Taken from http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...uto-show-video

The ultimate Mercedes-Benz S-Class has landed: the all-new 2015 S65 AMG. The big bruiser made its world debut at the 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show last week and will be sailing into showrooms in the second quarter of 2014.Under the hood sits a twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter V-12 that carries over from theprevious S65 AMG. Peak power registers at 621 horsepower and is delivered over a wide band stretching from 4,800 to 5,400 rpm. Peak torque, meanwhile, all 738 pound-feet of it, is available from as low as 2,300 rpm and doesn’t taper off until 4,300 rpm.
    Needless to say, acceleration is effortless, with the 0-60 mph taking an estimated 4.2 seconds and a governed top speed of 155 mph likely to be reached soon after. Note, the 577-horsepower S63 AMG is slightly quicker to 60, needing just 3.9 seconds, but the S65 AMG is all about bragging rights and superfluous luxury.
    The seats of the S65 are some of the best in the business. Nappa leather is fitted throughout and features an exclusive diamond pattern. The front seats are special AMG buckets with plenty of adjustment and comfort features, while at the rear there is a reclining function. All of the seats also come with a massage function; the perfect accessory on those long cross-country jaunts.
    For more from the 2013 L.A. Auto Show, click here.

Not bad! I'd take one of these after I make my first $10 million, easily! It would sit nicely inside my 10-car garage with the GT-R and every other AMG sedan and the E63 wagon.

As an aside, someone at Mercedes really knows the proper color in which to display this car in order for my heart to be set ablaze!
    Last edited by JayG35; 11-27-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Beautiful vid!

They did a great job with it.
    The car is very nice but it is so expensive it may not even exist for most of us.

I'll take a M56 at 40% the price
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

It's really just the most mind-blowing S-class in generations! I may have to go back to the W126 days when I was a little kid for the last time I felt so in awe of an S- its presence, style, and how well-built and expensive it seems.

An M56 is actually more like 25% of the price that this monster will command. I always figured that if I became so loaded that this was feasible, I'd just get a used one that has undergone more than half of its massive depreciation. And these get hit with that quick- in as early as 2-3 years. If I'm a multimillionaire (yeah, probably not happenin'), what do I care if the car costs me 20 grand in repairs to drive for a few years? I just saved $120,000 by not buying it new.

But if I'm ever rich, it's not going to be because I blew my money on nice cars, sadly. It will be because I invested a generous portion of my income wisely while driving my Altima and G35 to 1 million miles apiece.

I found this video while S-class geeking. It looks like my feelings about the new S are exactly what Mercedes had planned for. Here, the director of the new W222 spends some time around a W126 model and a W116, combing the cars while engaged in a discussion of how they benchmarked the quality of the W126 and W116. I did translate the description and several comments to get a better grip on what they were talking about. They even have a door-closing orgy. WARNING: German-spoken video ahead.

Last edited by JayG35; 11-28-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Nice vid.

Since my German is the same as my English I'll gve a summary.

The older gent is the Senior Engineer of the new S Class and kinda for fun they company marketing folks ( I only wathed halfway) show him the very last W126 that was ever made that MB kept.
    Less than 2000 miles on it.
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Thanks for the translation, Fred! I didn't know you knew German so well.

I was filling up the Altima yesterday, and I noticed a mint-condition, white W126 sedan (clearly an SEL, looong and low ) living on the property right behind the station (there are some nice, big houses on the river bank in this neighborhood). I'm not sure whether it's a 280, 380, 500, or 560, or even a diesel. I may take a walk down there to get a glimpse at the badge. Perhaps a future purchase if they hold on to it long enough? I really need to diversify from being Nissan-only one of these years.

Another thing from that clip.
    just like you surmised they were talking about how the new S Class is supposed to capture the spirit of the W126.

It really does have that low-slung presence and air of impeccable quality that the W126 and its predecessors possessed! The W140 was really nicely made too, but sat a bit too upright aesthetically. However, I would love to have one if I were certain that I could handle the maintenance. Anything older than 15 years is a huge roll of the dice and a real labor of love. I'd never try to make an old Benz my daily driver.

There are people. non wealthy people too who make the 80's e class equivalent a daily : )

jay: What are the years that ahve the problems with the disintegrating harnesses that the dealer wants several thousands for just the part?

I looked at some nice W140's mid-late 90 but then I seemed to remember it might have been those?

Fred, the wiring harness issue was eliminated by the 1995 model year. The '95 was the W140's facelift year in the US market. However, don't let this necessarily scare you off from a pre-facelift car, as long as it has complete service records and proof that the harness was replaced. Any new harness put in will be of the 95+ design with durable materials, and should last virtually forever. This is something that I had researched heavily in MB forums after I started developing an online friendship with a gentleman who sells one or two owner W140-and-older S-classes for a living. He sells other stuff too, but you can tell that his true loves are classic Benzes, with the 126 and 140 at the top.

I may get one years from now- probably not until I hit my 40s and my peak earning years. The good news is that they can be had cheap- even low-mileage ones in great condition are well under $10k now. And sometimes, they will stay reliable and cheap to maintain for years to come (full service records are HUGE with Ze Germans, remember that! Deferred maintenance will lead to a $$$ pit). However, I personally would like to have a special savings account with many thousands, probably upwards of 10k, set aside "just in case" before taking on one of these gorgeous tanks.

From the W140 wiki:

That just sets my heart on fire! It's a Benz, it's beige/walnut, and it's the nicest "modern" interior that they did pre-Chrysler. The W126 was the nicest "classic" interior IMO... which lacked a lot of the gadgetry and electronics, but had its greatness rooted in pure elegance and superlative build quality. Oh, and Nissan and Honda shamelessly ripped off most of the styling and design elements of this interior with the mid-90s Maxima and Acura Legend cars. Lexus, of course, was a straight-out copy in the 2nd-gen LS. It really makes for a sublime and serene driving environment.

If I'm making anywhere near in my 40s what my dad was in his, I could feasibly just get a W221 or an early-model W222 by then. But knowing a good guy who specializes in the W140, and having a great deal of 90s nostalgia in the depths of my soul, I think that if I ever buy a "classic" S, it will be a 140. At least, my first one will.

I didn't even realize until this year that the Maybach was built on the W140 chassis! That's right- the W220's was too cheapened and not stiff/hearty/exclusive-feeling enough for their Rolls/Bentley fighter. Stupid Chrysler merger (though I admit I love the look and feel of the W220 regardless, lol). Thank goodness that they went back to developing a real S-class, starting with the W221 and coming full-circle quite nicely in the 222!
    Last edited by JayG35; 12-01-2013 at 11:36 PM.

I don't think that most who would buy a 200k luxury sedan would particularly care for a 7,500 rpm redline. It would be too loud and unrefined. There are exotic sports cars for that. MB knows its market very well and something with a lower redline, ridiculous torque (with a flat curve) and silent push is what these clientele are looking for. A forced-induction V-12 fits the bill for these reasons and many more.