The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Chicago Auto Show- anyone been?

Chicago Auto Show- anyone been?

Not the most important topic in the grand scheme, but I was wondering if any folks here have been to the Chicago Auto Show. Is it generally as large and enjoyable as the NY show, or perhaps LA and Detroit which both get tons of press? I have a good friend who is going to law school at Notre Dame and we have discussed a visit this spring term, along with the close proximity of Chicago. I've never been to Chicago, and certainly never to the auto show. Obviously, there's plenty more to do in the city, and we would enjoy those options throughout the day.

Why would I align my visit with the early February weekend of this show when I live near NY? Well, we both have been going to the NYIAS for the past couple of years, and we have noticed a greater percentage of luxury models and even some non-luxury cars being locked. Most fustrating is that I haven't been able to get into a Mercedes-Benz sedan, coupe or wagon for three years. F-that. At this point I'd rather take my money somewhere else and kill two birds with one stone, visiting my bro.

I attended the show in 2008 and 2009 when I was living/studying in Champaign (I wanted to go in 2007, but there was a bit of a problem on the day I planned to go). Now that I moved to Evanston earlier this year, I will definitely attend in 2014. I went to NAIAS when I was living back in the Detroit area 2009-2013.

The Chicago show is huge. I will be taking the train down and then the shuttle bus over... really don't want to pay > $20 just to park for a few hours.
    Back in 2008-2009, all the cars were unlocked. However, that used to be the case at NAIAS before the last couple of years, so now I do not know.

Needless to say, those automakers/brands with locked cars and no brochures get on the '****list' for the year!

Quote Originally Posted by JayG35 View Post
    Not the most important topic in the grand scheme, but I was wondering if any folks here have been to the Chicago Auto Show. Is it generally as large and enjoyable as the NY show, or perhaps LA and Detroit which both get tons of press? I have a good friend who is going to law school at Notre Dame and we have discussed a visit this spring term, along with the close proximity of Chicago. I've never been to Chicago, and certainly never to the auto show. Obviously, there's plenty more to do in the city, and we would enjoy those options throughout the day.

Why would I align my visit with the early February weekend of this show when I live near NY? Well, we both have been going to the NYIAS for the past couple of years, and we have noticed a greater percentage of luxury models and even some non-luxury cars being locked. Most fustrating is that I haven't been able to get into a Mercedes-Benz sedan, coupe or wagon for three years. F-that. At this point I'd rather take my money somewhere else and kill two birds with one stone, visiting my bro.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.

Why dont you guys go together ?
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Thanks for the details, M! Yeah, stuff may be locked, which would piss us off. I watched peoples' Youtube videos of the 2013 show, and you could clearly see normal civilians (non-press people) getting in and out of ML350s and SL550s at the Benz exhibit. This type of freedom was burned at the steak a few years ago in the NYIAS. So I'm hoping Chicago doesn't go all Nazi on us this winter.

Hmmm..

back in the day when we had an active business manager in Cali we could get press passes via being Freshalloy reps.
    Who wants to call Nissan corporate and work 'em to see if we can do it again?
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Quote Originally Posted by palmerwmd View Post
    Hmmm..

back in the day when we had an active business manager in Cali we could get press passes via being Freshalloy reps.
    Who wants to call Nissan corporate and work 'em to see if we can do it again?

The way that work is ramping up (I work with one of the Big 4 global accounting/consulting firms now), I just want to be able to attend!
    My weekends have been shot, working right up to the holidays. Even without taking a ton of photos, the Chicago show sucks up several hours :D
    However, should Fred be able to get a press pass, I would like to help out.

I say 'screw NAIAS and NYIAS.' We don't need their cramped space and media BS. The Chicago show is excellent if you are a retail tire kicker.
    I've never been to LA or Tokyo, but they sound really cool.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.