Thread: Ward's 10 best engines of 2014

Ward's 10 best engines of 2014

http://t.autos.msn.com/news/wards-pi...ines-of-2014-1
    Ward's picks 10 best engines of 2014

2 days ago By James_Tate of MSN Autos share

tweet

pin it

email

Direct injection, diesel and turbocharging are the latest buzzwords in engine technology.
    For 20 years, Wardís Auto has been assessing which engines rule the roost at the start of each new year.
    To qualify, the engine in question has to be in a vehicle you can buy in the first quarter of the year -- and that vehicle canít cost more than $60,000. Itís no surprise that the idea of downsizing has taken center stage for the 2014 edition of Wardís 10 Best Engines. The ever omnipresent need to meet more stringent emissions and gas mileage standards worldwide has caused all but a select few manufacturers to turn to the trend. And as you, our savvy reader, are probably already aware, turbocharging is the most logical way to downsize -- especially when paired with direct injection.
    Modern turbochargers have a very minimal effect on vehicle refinement, while offering in most cases more torque across the rev range than their naturally aspirated, bigger breathing forbears. Due to the smaller size of most turbocharged engines, they also consume less fuel.

• WardsAuto picks the top 10 car interiors
    • 4-cylinders dominate Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2013
    • Ford's tiny 3-cylinder named International Engine of the Year

But as logical as turbocharging is in gasoline engines, it makes even more sense when you boost modern diesel engines, which offer ridiculous fuel economy, gobs of torque and a very clean footprint on the environment. And we havenít touched on the ability of a stout iron diesel engine block to keep going and going and going. But enough from us Ė letís have a look at Wardís engine choices for the 2014 model year.

1. The 3.0-liter, supercharged engine found in the Audi S4 and S5. We couldn't agree more. Audi made it on the list last year with this engine, and thereís plenty of reason for a repeat. The direct-injected 90-degree V6 cranks out 333 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque, and thanks to a roots-type supercharger, it seems to do so over an absurdly broad rpm range. In the S5, it still manages an Environmental Protection Agency-estimated 17 city mpg/26 highway mpg while sending you rocketing down the road. The intercooler setup couldnít be more innovative, and the always-there oomph renders the carís V8 predecessor completely irrelevant.
    2. The 3.0-liter turbodiesel in the BMW 535d. Recently reengineered, this BMW engine is impossibly quiet and offers peak torque at just 1500 rpm, ďvirtually eliminating turbo lag,Ē as Wardís editors note. Matched to an 8-speed automatic transmission, the inline-6 in the 535d even outperforms many of the 4-cylinder diesels the magazine considered. And while itís awesome in the 535d, it should be your only choice when buying an X5, offering some 413 lb-ft of torque.
    3. The 3.0-liter turbodiesel in the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Sourced from FIAT-owned VM Motori and also mated to an 8-speed automatic, the Ram's torquey diesel has no trouble motivating a 3-ton pickup truck while managing up to 24 mpg combined during Wardís test drives. It's not bad when you consider that the acceleration matches that of the V8 Ram 1500, which only gets 17 mpg combined.
    4. FIAT strikes again, this time with an 83-kilowatt electric motor in the 500e. This is another choice weíll agree with-- while weíre not completely on board the electric bandwagon, thereís no question in our minds that if youíre going to buy an electric car in California, this should be it. Like any electric car, full torque (147 lb-ft) is available at -- wait for it -- zero rpm, and Wardís editors were often able to exceed the carís published range of 85 miles.
    5. Weíve got to agree again here, becauseFordís tiny 1.0-liter EcoBoost inline-3 engine is awesome. As tiny as it is physically, the little engine manages to boost out 120 horsepower, thanks to the miracle of direct injection and modern turbocharging. It also won the International Engine of the Year award in June. In the little Fiesta, that means an EPA-rated 45 mpg on the highway. The Fiesta goes a long way to proving that diesel-sipping cars havenít pushed their gasoline-powered competitors out of the market. As a side note, we had the opportunity to drive a tuned version of this engine, which was stuffed inside a Caterham roadster, and to make a long story short, nothing ever felt so right.
    6. The Chevrolet Cruze Clean Diesel is the only competitor to the long-standing Volkswagen Jetta TDI, and the 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine is great. Youíll get 45 mpg on the highway here, too, and the stats are nothing to balk at, either: 151 horsepower and 264 lb-ft of torque -- the latter available in full at just 2600 rpm.

7.Chevrolet isnít on the list for just efficiency. Try the 6.2-liter pushrod (yes, pushrod) V8 of the new Corvette Stingray. Ripping out 460 horsepower, the engine still manages to pull off 28 mpg on the highway (thatís in automatic trim). Thatís a heck of a feat when you consider that some variant of this very engine has been in production since 1955!
    8. Just as you wouldnít expect a pushrod engine to make a best-of list in 2014, neither would you expect a single-overhead cam engine without direct injection -- or, gasp, a turbocharger! But as it has for many years before, Wardís praised the 3.5-liter V6 of the 2014 Honda Accord, noting an impressive 34 mpg in highway driving and the decidedly counterculture approach to delivering those figures. The Accord V6 makes 278 horsepower and 252 lb-ft of torque.
    9. The2.7-liter H6 offered in the Porsche Cayman makes the list, too. Wardís editors say that it feels ďa lot more powerful than its rated 275 hp and 213 lb-ft of torque.Ē Despite the power perceived by Wardís editors, the Cayman returned 23 mpg during testing.
    10. Volkswagen makes this yearís 10-best list with the 1.8-liter turbocharged inline-4 offered in the Jetta, with editors saying that the new engine was "quiet, efficient and a riot to drive in sport mode, happily popping off the line even with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Several editors logged close to 30 mpg in mixed driving, and the EPA says 36 mpg is possible on the highway."

So there you have it, folks: the 10 best engines of 2014 as reported by the good people at Wardís Auto. Manufacturers will receive their awards Jan. 15 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
    Mark

2002 Q45 Sport:
    255k, IMPUL body kit, Parrot MKi9100, 05 headlamps blacked out w/ AAC Halos,Catz Zeta ballast boost on HIR high beams, Infiniti rear spoiler, rear upper window spoiler, 245/50/ZR18 tires, modded BMW 5 series hid fog projectors, burtman piano finish dash kit, X-pipe, removed rear muffler.Kenwood 150w powered sub.
    1999 XJ8 Jag VP 120k miles sold
    2007 Kia Sportage V6 LX

no nissan infiniti engine this time...
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

But 3 diesels and 1 electric and only 1V8......the industry is learning
    Mark

2002 Q45 Sport:
    255k, IMPUL body kit, Parrot MKi9100, 05 headlamps blacked out w/ AAC Halos,Catz Zeta ballast boost on HIR high beams, Infiniti rear spoiler, rear upper window spoiler, 245/50/ZR18 tires, modded BMW 5 series hid fog projectors, burtman piano finish dash kit, X-pipe, removed rear muffler.Kenwood 150w powered sub.
    1999 XJ8 Jag VP 120k miles sold
    2007 Kia Sportage V6 LX

Quote Originally Posted by palmerwmd View Post
    no nissan infiniti engine this time...
    There haven't been Nissan engines on there for a few years, unless I am remembering incorrectly.

Sounds to me like Ward's is buying the press hoo-haw about the VQ37 being "coarse." As I've said here ad-nausem, the G37's I've driven felt smoother in the engine room than my old Maxima's VQ30. I blame this whole thing on BMW's inline-6 and Lexus's extremely aggressive sound insulation. This has forced the hand of Infiniti and Mercedes in their own respective ways- the Q50 is as quiet as a Lexus, with hardly any VQ exhaust growl noticable, and Mercedes will go back to inline-6 engines for the first time in 20 years starting with the next-gen E-class. I guess they got tired of the press pontificating about how much better BMW's 6's are (and they love the economies of scale enabled by having a modular 3-4-6-12 design).

It's a crime that the VK56VD as seen in the M56 never made it up there. It successfully one-upped the last of the great large NA V8s to come out of Lexus and Mercedes in the LS460 and S550- more powerful with all the smoothness and fuel efficiency of those motors.

The other problem is that they want to reward the technological innovations of newer, small-displacement forced-induction engines with direct-injection and stop-start. I can't blame them. Nissan needs to jump on this gravy train yesterday.

They also are liking electrics and hybrids. I think the Leaf's "engine" was on the list not too long ago. Should still be up there IMHO.
    Last edited by JayG35; 12-17-2013 at 06:39 PM.

The Chrysler Pentastar V6 made it last year, and the two prior years. I was not informed of that engine and wondered why... until I drove its co-developed cousin sharing the same architecture, the Mercedes M276 in an E350 for a few days. My god, that engine is a jewel. It's as if the best characteristics of the VQ (throaty exhaust sound, torque, great power for an NA V6) were combined with the best of Toyota's GR series (smooth as silk operation even at high revs, quiet, unobtrusive engine note, and excellent fuel economy). Granted, the MB version has the advantage of direct injection. I wonder how it didn't make this list in any of those years.
    Last edited by JayG35; 02-17-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Couran View Post
    Poor Honda... they didn't make the list despite all of their efforts. Honda is currently the lamest car company in the auto industry.
    Lmao umm??? Did u read the list??? Maybe I didnt read it right but I think the accord is up there. Im not reading the list again on this small screen lol!