The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: KA-T after 4years of service. Engine Tear Down with Pics

KA-T after 4years of service. Engine Tear Down with Pics

I blew the head gasket about a year ago and the car sat in the garage at my house until yesterday when I brought the car to my shop to pull the engine and go through motor instead of just replacing the head gasket and dang am I glad I did. 3 out of 4 of my Wiseco piston skirts are cracked. These pistons have 90K ish miles on them. They show very little detonation on them. I have to admit I am disappointed in this kind of a problem for the money spent. It really seems like a design flaw. The skirts don't have hardly any ware on them so its not like the pistons where slapping the cylinder walls. Anyone else experience a similar issues?

684whp/572lbs TQ
    KA-T & SR's
    Engines R Us
    www.enginerebuild.net
    "Anyone can make power but how long can you make it last?"

wow that must have been some mean piston slap to that kind of damage. I haven't heard of anyone with Wesco's doing that before.
    90 Tsi with Toys*SOLD*
    95 S14 AreB 20 lag monster
    91 NX2000 SR20VE powered daily driver.
    Protech-Fabrication

Those are some big cracks!

What kind of boost were you running?
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

This is Just A Guess, but I bet it has something to do with the long stroke of the engine, and the limited research and development for the KA24DE engine. As you said, a design flaw. Most people do not make it to 90k with forgies in any KA, and I seriously doubt the piston manufacturer did either.
    Bioengineering
    Control systems processing
    RNA splicing

There wasn't piston slap. Cylinder walls look great as well as pistons. Those skirts wouldn't look that good otherwise. The most boost these pistons ever saw was 34psi on an old SC61 turbo. Since upgrading to the 67mm 27psi up til now. 😃
    Last edited by duncan351; 01-21-2014 at 03:35 AM.

I just thought of something. How did you manage 90,000 miles in 4 years?

Furthermore- holy @#&*# 30+PSI on a KA engine? What Fuel are you using?

Got any pictures of the engine? I am curious how you did the rail, ignition, wiring, filter, intercooler, etc...
    And what bearings were in it, how do they look?
    Last edited by Kingtal0n; 02-02-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

The rail is just a common fuel rail. Stock ignition with a Ken Bell Boost A Spark Greddy VSPL which is really chocking the motor up however I don't have over heating issues as most do with 4" thick intercoolers on street cars with A/C. Nothing really special. As far as bearings just some standard King bearings. Contrary to popular belief the motor staying alive has more to do with the build than a bunch of High dollar bearings and what not. bearings looked good. This was a tribute to running 40 wieght oil.
    Here is a vid of the car with only 600 Miles on the motor @ 20psi just a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
    I just thought of something. How did you manage 90,000 miles in 4 years?

Furthermore- holy @#&*# 30+PSI on a KA engine? What Fuel are you using?

Got any pictures of the engine? I am curious how you did the rail, ignition, wiring, filter, intercooler, etc...
    And what bearings were in it, how do they look?
    684whp/572lbs TQ
    KA-T & SR's
    Engines R Us
    www.enginerebuild.net

Quote Originally Posted by duncan351 View Post
    The rail is just a common fuel rail. Stock ignition with a Ken Bell Boost A Spark Greddy VSPL which is really chocking the motor up however I don't have over heating issues as most do with 4" thick intercoolers on street cars with A/C. Nothing really special. As far as bearings just some standard King bearings. Contrary to popular belief the motor staying alive has more to do with the build than a bunch of High dollar bearings and what not. bearings looked good. This was a tribute to running 40 wieght oil.
    Here is a vid of the car with only 600 Miles on the motor @ 20psi just a few weeks ago.

The V-SPL is a 3" core. You didn't answer any of my questions, how did you manage 90,000 miles in just a few years? The motor has 600 miles 3 weeks ago? What fuel are you using?
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

90K miles after 4 years is easy. I drive my car alot and usually take it on road trips. Not to mention I used to put 15-20K miles on my 240 a year boosted in early 2000's. I have spun a rod bearing twice but pistons were still in great shape. I would replace rods and rings but use the same pistons when I rebuilt the engine. There is never a need to replace pistons if the skirts aren't messed up & the tops are good. By the time I posted these pistons I already ordered new ones and built engine and driving the car. Just a heads up its not about the bearing to a certain extent, its more about right clearences and oil weight which has been very difficult to get right on a street car that is run hard alot.

I don't get on the forums much anymore. PM if you have questions. I will be more than happy to answer them if it will help you with your car.
    684whp/572lbs TQ
    KA-T & SR's
    Engines R Us
    www.enginerebuild.net

Quote Originally Posted by duncan351 View Post
    90K miles after 4 years is easy. I drive my car alot and usually take it on road trips. Not to mention I used to put 15-20K miles on my 240 a year boosted in early 2000's. I have spun a rod bearing twice but pistons were still in great shape. I would replace rods and rings but use the same pistons when I rebuilt the engine. There is never a need to replace pistons if the skirts aren't messed up & the tops are good. By the time I posted these pistons I already ordered new ones and built engine and driving the car. Just a heads up its not about the bearing to a certain extent, its more about right clearences and oil weight which has been very difficult to get right on a street car that is run hard alot.

I don't get on the forums much anymore. PM if you have questions. I will be more than happy to answer them if it will help you with your car.
    Well, thats a great point. What IS the right clearance to run, and oil weight, for a street car, in your opinion? I always felt to err on the round tight side, closer to OEM specifications and using OEM bearings, then here in Florida you know we always want 10W-30 at the least.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

Quote Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
    Well, thats a great point. What IS the right clearance to run, and oil weight, for a street car, in your opinion? I always felt to err on the round tight side, closer to OEM specifications and using OEM bearings, then here in Florida you know we always want 10W-30 at the least.
    Yes, I run what is considered to be tight on my clearance but loose end of factory clearance. As for oils this is always a debate however. I run a 40 weight oil and it works best for my setup. My choice is M1 0w-40 Euro formula. My second choice is Rotella T6.
    684whp/572lbs TQ
    KA-T & SR's
    Engines R Us
    www.enginerebuild.net