The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Consumer Reports: Infiniti M dethroned! By...

Consumer Reports: Infiniti M dethroned! By...

What else? A new version of the stalwart W212 Mercedes E-class: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...dans/index.htm

The new E250 is perhaps the most rational luxury car you’ll find. It mixes a posh interior with an ultra-efficient turbodiesel engine, an 800-mile highway driving range, an impressive balance of ride and handling, and the type of practicality that makes it easy to live with. That combination earned it a stellar 98 score in our testing, which is second only to the Tesla Model S, at 99.
    The current-generation M held on to their highest score for a mid-sized luxury sedan for an impressive 8 years- dating all the way back to the prior generation's debut in 2006. Two years ago, the new Audi A6 tied the M for the top score of 93 in the segment. Now, the E250 Bluetec has bested them both with a 98 in CR's test. That's the second-highest score of any current model that they've tested, after the Tesla Model S at 99.

I'm renting an E-class in two weeks for my trip to Chicago for the auto show. Should be fun.

"Our modestly-equipped E250 4Matic sedan cost nearly $63,000. As terrific as it is, that's a lot of money for a four-cylinder car without a real leather interior that will lose in a stoplight drag race with a four-cylinder Honda Accord."

The v-6 scored 86. So 12 points for gas mileage mainly. I'll still keep my M with the gas guzzling v-8.

I still like the way CR scores and reviews. Then you can add their thoughts to aid in your own opinion to arrive at the right personal purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Indemand View Post
    I still like the way CR scores and reviews. Then you can add their thoughts to aid in your own opinion to arrive at the right personal purchase.
    Exactly. I always done it that way too when comparing cars .. that is before I decided to stick w/ Nissan/Infiniti :D
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Just for grins I went to their website & "built" an E250, was very easy to get the sticker up to almost $70k - even higher if you tic the 4matic & panarama roof boxes !

Love the interior & the instrument cluster, also like all the color choices (in & out + 3 wood colors). INFINITI - can you hear me now

No way tho I'd pass up the power of an M56 and spend more to get a 4 pot, oil burner that needs a fill-up of special fluid from the dealer every 15k miles or so (at a whooping price I'm told !).
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

I didn't realize how deep their reviews were until I subscribed last fall. It's really well-organized and comprehensive.

The reasoning behind the higher score goes beyond the mileage. This E250 BT only became available with the W212 facelift. It's the most extreme mid-cycle change they've ever done, with small changes galore, all for the better. In their full review for the E250, CR is astounded by the ride and handling compromise. The called the car "unflappable," and marveled at how a car that handles better than some sport sedans could absorb bumps like that- all while staying planted and avoiding float. In their original tests of the W212 (they did two E350s- one before and one after the engine upgrade to DI), they were a bit critical of the car's steering feel and slight propensity to crash over harsh bumps. Those two issues appear to be gone now. Additionally, Mercedes heavily upgraded the interior. It looks the same, but all the materials are different. Vents and buttons went from plastic to metal, the seats have more detailed stitching, and the dash pad is no longer as coarse. Before I preferred the M interior- slightly- but now, the E may be the winner. I will get to sit in one the week after next to confirm.

There's definitely a price premium for the diesel, but the fuel economy is astounding. CR compared it to that of a Honda Fit- even with the 4matic penalty of a couple mpg's. Even with the Adblue changes, you're still way ahead of the V6 E350 on running costs. That could change long-term if the diesel is less reliable, but let's assume it's being leased as most cars in the segment are. TTAC did a calculation that the emission fluid would cost an owner just over $1,400 every 100,000 miles. That's not a ton of cash to run a luxury sedan by any means. And you're still spending far less on diesel fuel + fluid than an E350 owner is spending on gasoline (let alone E550). I have read that you can add the fluid yourself for about 50 bucks, or roughly 1/7 what the rackin'-frackin' dealer charges. If you run out of Adblue, the car still functions, but at a power loss (a compromise between MB and the EPA). So It won't leave you stranded like running out of gas.

I don't want them to give up the V8 E550 sedan as they said they are. You'd think that they could afford to keep it around and be under CAFE requirements by offering this diesel, a 4-cylinder turbo edition, and a hybrid- but I haven't done the calculations, so....

At least they're keeping the E550 coupe! And the next-generation one will be more upscale and no longer based on the C-class.
    Last edited by JayG35; 01-26-2014 at 04:33 PM.

For less than that Blutec you could be driving this (wee on the MPG & bring on the WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=11&Log=0
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    For less than that Blutec you could be driving this (wee on the MPG & bring on the WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=11&Log=0
    I DO like that even more than the Bluetec- the E63 is my favorite sedan in the world- but that's likely never going to be realistic for me, sadly. The maintenance costs are astronomical (though not as bad as an M5). They're really reliable though, and drive better than today's elephantine M5. And the fuel economy on the NA 6.2? Uhhhh.... well, there you see what the Bluetec can do that the AMG can't. 15 mpg is a good day. In the typical NJ traffic over here, I'd probably see 10-12 most often, lol.

If I stumble upon some investment that makes me into Warren Buffett, then I will be getting an E63- probably the wagon.

Here's a video review from Motorweek:

It looks sooo good in the slalom- very much like a G37x. Also, the bast price is nowhere near the as-tested for the model CR bought, clicked with all the goodies (a real German hazard!). You can get this car taxi-spec for $52,325 new. That is not bad at all for a car that, in its essence, is the best pure luxury sedan in its segment- with the best ride, quietness, fit/finish, and competetive handling to go along with class-leading fuel economy. CPO or just plain old used, these will be a steal in a few years when the W213 is released.
    Last edited by JayG35; 01-27-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Quick question - when is the Q70 coming out? I don't see it anywhere.

Nevermind - I finally see it on the website. They waited until sometime this week to do so.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.