The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '03 G35 Radio Problem. Speaker Noise Even When RadioTurned Off

'03 G35 Radio Problem. Speaker Noise Even When RadioTurned Off

Hello all. Been ages since I have been here. Still have the same 2003 G35 Sedan. Appx. 98,000 miles. Been a good 'un, but had a problem just tonight.

Went out and started the car and heard static/crackling type noise (volume varies) from the driver side rear speaker even though the radio unit was not powered on. Powered unit up, same noise but now with radio station (or CD when selected) playing at a lower level. All heating controls seem to be working fine. Turned entire car off/on several times, no change. Powered radio unit up/down several times. No change. Still have the static/crackling type noise from driver rear speaker at all times - even with radio unit turned off. Sounds very much like when a radio station is poorly tuned, just with no music/speech at all while unit is "powered down".

I had the early model "radio unit fix" done by Infiniti while my car was still under warranty. Zero problems 'til tonight.

It has been abnormally cold for N.C., with lots of days below freezing, and several nights down in the teens.

Any similar experiences or helpful suggestions will be appreciated. It is dark/quite cold right now, but I do plan to check all fuses tomorrow in the light of day.

Thanks for any help - GeeSpot.
    Last edited by GeeSpot; 01-29-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Wow. This place has reeeeealy slowed down. I guess not many G35 owners anymore. : (

More info. Car/radio did same thing on the way to the gym. Same thing on the way home. When I put the Fader full front and cranked volume, front speakers sounded perfect, still had crackling from rear. Right when I got home, crackling went away, set Fader to "0", now it was playing just like it always did - perfect!

However - went back outside a bit later, cranked car again - radio OFF and crackling from rear speakers was back. Turned radio on and sat there for a while messing with Fader - after a bit crackling from rear went away, reset Fader to "0" and music was perfect again.

Does this seem like the dreaded "main board failure" I have read about, or more of a connection/rear amp type problem?

I cannot believe how dead this forum is. Sad, I remember it from far better days. This was the first forum I ever joined. It was thriving back then. I guess most have probably been through several different cars since those days.

Peace, and God Bless to you all.

Obviously off on the radio isn't off. Possible interference from wires? Changed them recently? Never changed them?

Quote Originally Posted by Indemand View Post
    Obviously off on the radio isn't off. Possible interference from wires? Changed them recently? Never changed them?
    Thank you for your reply!

I think the head unit is off as there is no signal from radio stations or cd player thru the speakers unless the head unit is powered up and the display on the radio/cd area is lighted. But IIRC the amp or something still draws some power, and figures into the fast battery drain that some G35s have when not driven for a few days. Mine definitely has the fast battery drain.

I went to a pal's house this afternoon and we pulled the amp. Everything (Nav/HVAC/Windows/Power Seats) still works fine, and the obnoxious crackling is gone. I plan to try to find a replacement amp locally at a salvage yard, or online if necessary, plug it in to the harness, and see what happens. Hope I can do this early next week.

I have never messed with any of the wires or audio stuff before today. Infiniti changed out my audio header board back around '04 or '05 under warranty. They also did one that had to do with the rear package shelf rattle/noise.

My car is one of the early numbers from the first year production. I probably had 4-5 different TSBs done under warranty, and a few other things that Infiniti called "customer satisfaction" or "customer good will" or "appreciation" or something like that. But since the last work done around '05 I hadn't had even a hiccup out of her until the audio problems started Wed. nite.

In my M even with the radio off you still have bluetooth/phone function for the speakers. So it could be the amp but it could be electrical interference too.

In my M even with the radio off you still have bluetooth/phone function for the speakers. So it could be the amp but it could be electrical interference too.
    What would you think might cause the interference to start up out of the blue like that?

No specific idea. But for troubleshooting I would start with motor on/motor off. Then play with certain circuits/fuses until I've eliminated everything but the amp. I wouldn't just assume the amp is bad though without going through some steps.

I found an amp on ebay that looks very clean. Guy said he pulled it from his own g35 when he put in aftermarket system, and says it was functioning perfectly at that time and has been stored inside his home since then. It was pretty cheap, and he is giving me a "guarantee" that the amp is good so not too much risk. It should be here thursday and I may be back in business then. (crosses fingers)

UPDATE: Got the ebay amp today in the mail. Plugged it in. Exact same problem. Now I did see my mailman drop it right on the concrete sidewalk from 3 feet up, but it was boxed and in some bubble wrap so I sort of doubt that hurt it.

Most likely is that I have another problem. Less likely is that this guys amp was fried from the start and that is why he replaced it. He has 100% ebay rating so I doubt that is it. Of course he did insure it for $50, so there is always that. Pulled several fuses, swapped the 15 amp audio fuse with another 15 amp fuse, even though it looked good.

Not really sure what to do next.

Well we have quite the 2 person thread going.

I suspected electrical interference causing the problem. If it makes the noise with the engine off you have eliminated most of the usual suspects and the problem is going to be more difficult to find. If it happens only with the motor on I would start by removing the power to each coil. I assume you have individual coils for each plug. 9 of 10 times you will find the problem.

If it happens with the motor off you can pull every individual fuse, except the radio circuit of course, until you find the circuit causing the problem. You can narrow it down from there.

Or take it to a radio shop. They deal with this type of problem frequently.

Well we have quite the 2 person thread going.

I suspected electrical interference causing the problem. If it makes the noise with the engine off you have eliminated most of the usual suspects and the problem is going to be more difficult to find. If it happens only with the motor on I would start by removing the power to each coil. I assume you have individual coils for each plug. 9 of 10 times you will find the problem.

If it happens with the motor off you can pull every individual fuse, except the radio circuit of course, until you find the circuit causing the problem. You can narrow it down from there.

Or take it to a radio shop. They deal with this type of problem frequently.
    Definitely happens only with the motor ON. Does happen with the radio head unit turned OFF though. I do appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

I am not very mechanically inclined. Where would these "coils" be, and how do I remove power from them one at a time? I would love to give this a try if it isn't too difficult.

The spark plugs connected to the plug wire. (sing along if you wish) The plug wires connected to the coil. So you need to follow it back. Sometimes the coil is right on top or it could be off to the side. I haven't had a V6 Nissan since '92. I'm not sure if there is a quick connect plug to the coil or not. Sorry I'm not much help.

The spark plugs connected to the plug wire. (sing along if you wish) The plug wires connected to the coil. So you need to follow it back. Sometimes the coil is right on top or it could be off to the side. I haven't had a V6 Nissan since '92. I'm not sure if there is a quick connect plug to the coil or not. Sorry I'm not much help.

Are you kidding me??? You are the ONLY person who has tried to help. THANK YOU! : )

I will take a look when the weather clears up a bit. We are facing cold rain, and snow the next few days here.

No specific suggestions from me on this issue (strange one, to be sure) but you may have better luck by posting this over at G35driver forums as those are still quite active these days. I rarely visit here anymore since it's deader than a doornail...good luck!
    '04.5 6MT DG/G Coupe|Autovation Aluminum Pedals|HR Y-Pipe|5/16 MD ISO Spacer |Revup Airbox|GroundingGear|Tokico D-Specs|Stillen Sways|Customer powdercoated RAYS

Quote Originally Posted by G35fromPA View Post
    No specific suggestions from me on this issue (strange one, to be sure) but you may have better luck by posting this over at G35driver forums as those are still quite active these days. I rarely visit here anymore since it's deader than a doornail...good luck!
    Thank you for your reply. I had actually signed up at G35Driver before I even got my first reply here. Got a few suggestions over there. Have had more pressing issues, and with the amp removed the horribly irritating static noises are gone so this has been on the backburner for a bit. I do want to get it sorted out before too long though. I miss having music in my G.

I misspoke earlier. Noise does happen with only the Acc on/Motor off.

So I took my G35 to a buddy today who does body work for a living (manages a shop these days). He figured out the problem is isolated to the driver side rear door speaker. He pulled the door panel, unplugged the speaker and Viola! All other speakers sounded perfect. Perfect!

He just happened to have a spare of my exact speaker pulled from another car. He plugged it in - same scratchy noise. I tried both amps with the "new" speaker, and got the same garbage sound from it. So then he hooked up my original speaker to another stereo head unit outside my car.... And it sounded just like it should.

So he is leaning head unit problem or amp problem. I am wondering if maybe the wiring in that door or running to that speaker might have a problem.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Trade her in? : )

I sure don't feel like putting a grand in for sound for a 12 year old car. Just "unplug" the offending speaker and "live with" what's left?

Did you try hooking up the speaker directly to the amp? Maybe its just the wire which should be a cheap fix.

Did you try hooking up the speaker directly to the amp? Maybe its just the wire which should be a cheap fix.
    Thank you for your reply.

If you mean hooking my bose speaker to my bose amp outside the vehicle, I have zero idea how to pull that off. My pal hooked my bose speaker from the problem area (rear driver side) to a different (Panasonic) head unit he had pulled from another car and my bose speaker worked perfectly on that amp.

With the bose amp (rear package shelf mounted) from the sedan it plugs in with a complex looking wiring harness. How would I get power to my bose amp outside my car, and how would I connect the speaker to the proper (driver side rear door) output from the bose amp?

I apologize for being dense about these matters. I just have zero experience with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast