The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: New altima intake

New altima intake

I put the k&N typhoon intake system in my car yesterday. Would you be afraid to put this in the altima brand new?

Not afraid, but what do you think you may have gained by doing so? Most of the cars today suck air from the front through a system of plastic tubes in a somewhat contained and sealed system. If you just drop an intake into the engine I doubt you gain anything. The filter I suppose is the marketing key. But from what I see you gain noise, but otherwise nothing else. Of course this depends on the cars engineering vs the aftermarket system. So I guess I need to turn this around and ask the question, why in the heck would you do this?

I wouldn't be afraid with a brand new car..
    But Nissans MAFS are not self cleaning unlike Toyota MAFs.

So eventually ou might get a dirty MAF with resulting drivability issues.
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

I guess over time it might actually pay for itself because I plan to keep the car for a long time but even if it doesn't it's cool I'm really enjoying the engine sounds LOL! This sounds really good when you get on it

I never even knew such a thing existed about the mass air flow sensors LOL. What do you suggest I do cleaning every 30000 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by rennie4 View Post
    I never even knew such a thing existed about the mass air flow sensors LOL. What do you suggest I do cleaning every 30000 miles?
    Two things:
    -be very very light on the oil when you clean the K&N filter.
    - You CAN clean a MAF ..Cleaning the MAF is possible but also a process fraught with risk I wouldnt tackle it myself as I am afraid I'd damage the wires.

A factory replacement MAF is around $700.
    The store bought "recondtioned" MAFs are much cheaper but are mere cleaned used MAFs and 2 out of 3 are bad from the store .
    How do I know?

My Vortech Supercharger system came with an oil based filter such as a K&N.

Eventually the MAF was bad.
    In all fairness this was almost certainly not the fault of the KN filter as it seemed to be related to bad + aged gaskets on the factory MAF letting in water..

This may have been related to the fact that is was a supercharged car driven hard in the summer resulting in high underhood temps.
    Even so I am leery of risking the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
    After great expense had to finally bite the bullet and buy a factory new one.
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,