The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: SURPRISE! New QX80 Monograph Concept Teased

SURPRISE! New QX80 Monograph Concept Teased

INFINITI teases New York unveil

Huge unveil. April 11, 2017. New York.
    #INFINITI #EmpowerTheDrive #NYIAS

(And that's the whole press release! Lol)

I say surprise because I definitely didn't think the QX80 would be next up for a redesign. I honestly think the QX70 or Q70 should be up next. But that's neither here, nor there... This teaser looks SWEET and imposing! This thing is going to have road presence! In this SUV crazy market... THIS is the new flagship. From that point of view, I can see why Infiniti would place a priority on getting a new QX80 to market.. this is their primary bid at being considered a Tier 1 Luxury maker. The footing they have with the current QX80 sure is a good one to start with, as it just posted sales of almost 2k units in March 2017 and is up 32% for the year.

Infiniti really is playing smart if you think about it. While Lexus just debuted a new LS in a market that is shifting away from cars overall, especially in that segment, and BMW doesn't even offer a contender here, Infiniti is taking advantage and solidifying the success they already have with the current QX80. Smart move Infiniti, smart move.
    My Opin.

Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by NissLover View Post
    INFINITI teases New York unveil

Huge unveil. April 11, 2017. New York.
    #INFINITI #EmpowerTheDrive #NYIAS

(And that's the whole press release! Lol)

I say surprise because I definitely didn't think the QX80 would be next up for a redesign. I honestly think the QX70 or Q70 should be up next. But that's neither here, nor there... This teaser looks SWEET and imposing! This thing is going to have road presence! In this SUV crazy market... THIS is the new flagship. From that point of view, I can see why Infiniti would place a priority on getting a new QX80 to market.. this is their primary bid at being considered a Tier 1 Luxury maker. The footing they have with the current QX80 sure is a good one to start with, as it just posted sales of almost 2k units in March 2017 and is up 32% for the year.

Infiniti really is playing smart if you think about it. While Lexus just debuted a new LS in a market that is shifting away from cars overall, especially in that segment, and BMW doesn't even offer a contender here, Infiniti is taking advantage and solidifying the success they already have with the current QX80. Smart move Infiniti, smart move.
    Well Said. I Agree with it all

Hungry for more
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Another reason for a much needed redesign is because the Armada as we know and see it is a clone especially the interior. Considering that they are apparently taking the Infiniti brand more serious I doubt they want to have such close resembles to Nissan like they used to. The next 1-2 years should be interesting for Infiniti. We should see 1 or 2 new models and many redesigns.

qx80-mono.jpg

It looks to be more of an extensive refresh of the current QX80 than a complete redesign. In the back of my mind, this is what I kind of expected especially in this class. Benz has re-worked the GL/GLS about 3 times on the same bones and the Patrol tends to run on a long life-cycle. I think the bones of the current QX80 is a good place to start and from the looks of it, they did a good job transforming it. It really looks fresh and inline with the new design language.

Pretty sure that extra long LED strip won't make production. And it seems that strip runs into sideview cameras instead of mirrors. I wonder if this is finally going to make it to production. I feel its only a matter of time.
    My Opin.

I think the grill should be larger I know it's all the rage currently, but still yuck in my eyes.

There may be a ton of legal reasons & state laws to overcome for the cameras to replace the side mirrors. May just be too confusing to many drivers !
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

So I think we need to lower expectations for the "New" QX80. While I could tell from the concept that it was not going to be all new, I thought it would be a quite extensive... not the case. Based on the spy shots, it looks like they're just going to update the front and rear end. And the rear end looks like its not going to be close to the concept at all since it looks like they didn't want to reshape the cut out for the taillights in the rear fender panels. They didn't even bother to add a little flare in the trim at the bottom of the rear side window to relate it somewhat to the rest of the lineups crescent cut design cue.

I am sure its going to look much better, but was expecting a little more looking at the concept. Hopefully they are saving pennies to make the interior best in class! Roland said that the interior is getting a make over as well.
    My Opin.

WI'll the v8 b in there or a stronger version of the 3.0tt?

Quote Originally Posted by NissLover View Post
    So I think we need to lower expectations for the "New" QX80. While I could tell from the concept that it was not going to be all new, I thought it would be a quite extensive... not the case. Based on the spy shots, it looks like they're just going to update the front and rear end. And the rear end looks like its not going to be close to the concept at all since it looks like they didn't want to reshape the cut out for the taillights in the rear fender panels. They didn't even bother to add a little flare in the trim at the bottom of the rear side window to relate it somewhat to the rest of the lineups crescent cut design cue.

I am sure its going to look much better, but was expecting a little more looking at the concept. Hopefully they are saving pennies to make the interior best in class! Roland said that the interior is getting a make over as well.
    These could be mules. Remember the Titan mule?
    Current:

1981 280ZX Turbo, (failed inspection, back in drydock, HELP!!!)
    2012 G37S 6MT Black on Black.
    2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium
    Previously Owned:

2006 G35 6MT Black on Black.(Sold)
    2009 Murano SL (Sold)
    2004 Armada SE 4X4 (Sold)
    2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed(Sold)
    1997 Hardbody 5 Speed (Sold)
    1982 200SX 5 speed(Sold)
    1981 200SX 5 speed (Sold)
    Other Cars:
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    1995 5 speed Dodge Neon
    1981 Chevy Chevette
    1972 Buick Century

That's true, but I think in this case its the real deal and kinda explains why we may see this going on sale by the end of this year. But you may be right and maybe this mule doesn't have all of the final production details. I hope that's the case. But it is really standard for these big Japanese SUVs to have very long life cycles, look at the Land Cruiser/LX.
    My Opin.

Quote Originally Posted by rennie4 View Post
    WI'll the v8 b in there or a stronger version of the 3.0tt?
    I think for now its going to carry over with the exact same powertrain. There's mention that an uprated 3.0T V6 will make it in there one day. I think they will probably offer it as an entry level engine instead of it completely replacing the V8 since its important that it maintains its tow rating.
    My Opin.