The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: 1997 Nissan 240sx Build Thread from the past - sr20det prequel with sunset metallic

1997 Nissan 240sx Build Thread from the past - sr20det prequel with sunset metallic

Lets go back ten years or so. Welcome to the fast and the... ?? When that kind of movie came out, this car was just being built. That movie pseudo ruined 'everything'- suddenly cops are stopping us over Apexi exhaust systems, and the dept of homeland security began scrutinizing the JDM hype.

This thread isn't about terrible things that happened, though. It is here to remind us of the good times. The fast and the easy swap-a-holic adventures of high power mayhem. Japanese engines loaded with go fast goodies came with low miles by the truckload.

I captured pictures of this build with the intention of making the typical "build thread" but it never happened as I got caught up in the flurry of activity, different cars, different swaps, education.
    I happened across the album recently and figured- why not now? Introducing the ultimate cookie cutter, a 400rwhp 240sx that was built and painted and finished and dyno tuned- in roughly three days.

On the first day, we pulled the engine. I had help from two or three others, one of them a professional body/paint expert. The other owned a shop with a lift. So this naturally sped things up tremendously- although you can still do the swap in a couple days by yourself on the ground (In my other thread I pulled the motor, did a ton of maint, and put it back in the next day by myself) the paint aspect adds a level of complexity beyond the reach of many DIY'ers. I leave paint and body to the experts! Thanks again, Jason & Khemraj for helping me do this.

Couple things I tried that were new, I had picked up aluminum tig welding and was basically finding any excuse to weld things.

its getting red!

PS you can click on a thumbnail and hit the entire album. Then skip reading the rest of this thread!

I wire these things in advance to save time

Jason let me hold the gun and spray some. I know about the mask! It was just for a brief instant.

Sunset metallic before the clear

Clear changes everything, its like a fog going on

I was welding up complete intercooler kits so motors could be swapped in without delay. My car was one of many to get the 3-day treatment! It was like a 240sx/swap factory we had going.

The motor was a question mark. We knew it had forged pistons but thats all we knew. My car was to be the test subject :D I gladly accepted the gift.

I think we waited till the next day when the paint in the bay was dry, pretty sure it sat overnight

Jason was a pro at putting everything back where it went. Back then I wasn't as good as I am now with wiring in these cars, he basically set the bay back up within a couple minutes.

They left me alone to re-attach most of the accessories to the engine. I was "too slow" for those guys, so they let me at it. That ugly salmon color was my idea, I admit it. Khemraj later suggested that I just go laser blue color, and it did look much better.

SO then it was off to the dyno. This is still the second day. It was getting dark as I finished up on the dyno. These passes were made with a 60-1, the turbo that came on the engine. I later swapped to a smaller compressor and picked up a ton of low-end.

Click for the VIDEO!

pretty sure it was the next day, the car went back into the booth for the external paint

To really make it shine, it had to get a wet-sand and buff. A gentleman named Eliot always did every single car that Jason painted.

A nice blue valve cover as promised :D

More or less finished engine bay. Khemraj bought me a turbo blanket, and the computer, supplied the engine, basically the whole car minus the car itself. He wanted me to tune it (it was our first PFC) so I would have experience to tune more future cars.

ANnnnd the rest of my pictures are basically showing off the incredible paint job. The only car I ever owned that was freshly painted.

One more :D
    Bioengineering
    Control systems processing
    RNA splicing

and here is the comparison I mentioned earlier. 60-1 vs 50 trim. The owner of the turbo shop was shocked when I told him I wanted a smaller wheel, "most people want larger ones" he said. He traded me the smaller wheel (that nobody else wanted) for my larger wheel, and rebuilt my turbo (it needed that) for free in exchange. I was happy in the end, and hopefully you can see why.

Summary:
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

A lot quicker than your 1st build

So is it your car or a buddy's car?

F.
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

this red one is from 10 years ago. After that I had an S15, a 95, a 97, then another 97 (the last white one you know about) and now I am working on something else... something.... else. For a next thread to come soon (2~ weeks) if everything goes as planned. Need to make sure it drives correctly, so the info (mainly stuff about chassis driveline angle and fabrication) is correct and implemented correctly. Which means I need to drive it, so I have to basically finish it first.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing