The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 2003 Infinit M45 Randomly Won't Start...

  1. #1

    2003 Infinit M45 Randomly Won't Start...

    This has been going on for a few years now. Car has 83,000 miles. I replaced the battery October 2015 and just checked the voltage and it has 12.8, so I don't think it's the battery. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does... I turn the key and I get a click, nothing else...I may have to do this a few (3 to 4) times...eventually it will start/fire right up, but my concern is sooner or later it won't start at all. Could it be the starter? Just seems if it was the starter it would have stopped working by now. Frustrating because it's not consistent, can go days/weeks without doing it. Does anyone else have this issue? I searching and found similar issues, but nothing exact. Appreciate your help.
    2015 Toyota Tundra Platinum (silver)
    2006 Infiniti FX45 (silver)
    2003 Infiniti M45 (silver)

  2. #2
    Sounds more like corrosion on a connection or ground somewhere, or one that's loose !

    When it doesn't start do the other electrical things work (windows, lights, radio etc.) ?
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

    GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Sounds more like corrosion on a connection or ground somewhere, or one that's loose !

    When it doesn't start do the other electrical things work (windows, lights, radio etc.) ?
    I checked the cables at the battery and where they go, they seem ok. When it starts, everything works fine, no issues. When it doesn't start, it clicks and nothing happens (no dash lights, etc). It's been doing this for over 2 years because that's the reason I replaced the battery in October 2015. Can't say it's gotten worse, but my concern it just not staring at all.
    2015 Toyota Tundra Platinum (silver)
    2006 Infiniti FX45 (silver)
    2003 Infiniti M45 (silver)

  4. #4
    My guess would be a bad relay, or maybe even a bad module. Both these things can do what you describe - work sometimes and not work others.

    I don't know if there's some kind of test that will smoke it out, but at some point you know it will crap out and not start any longer, so I think I'd talk to an Infiniti dealer about it.
    If someone blows up a school with a bomb they go after the bomber ... if someone shoots up a school they go after the gun.

    A privilege is just a right that has been taken away by government.

    Political correctness is cowardice wrapped in a lie.
    ________________________________

    2013 Acura RDX Tech, 30% tints, hardwired Escort 8500 X50

    2011 Infiniti M56, 30% ceramic tint, hard-wired Escort 8500 X50, LED cabin and trunk lighting - traded!


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
    My guess would be a bad relay, or maybe even a bad module. Both these things can do what you describe - work sometimes and not work others.

    I don't know if there's some kind of test that will smoke it out, but at some point you know it will crap out and not start any longer, so I think I'd talk to an Infiniti dealer about it.
    The problem with taking it to the dealer is it doesn't do it when I want it to, so I get the "We can't replicate it" response. Ha. The starter relay seems easy (and cheap enough) to replace as a process of eliminate. What exactly is the module or is there a specific module you are referring to? I've seen an ignition starter switch that isn't too expensive either.
    2015 Toyota Tundra Platinum (silver)
    2006 Infiniti FX45 (silver)
    2003 Infiniti M45 (silver)

  6. #6
    Seems like your are looking for opinions. Mine is the starter is likely bad. Your battery test doesn't matter. You have no idea what it does with a load. I would recommend taking your car to a real mechanic. Most older cars with "relays" have those attached to the starter as part of an assembly. Not sure on the M. Some can be changed, some not. Car dealer mechanics don't deal with older car issues as much as in the past. So again find a good old-school mechanic and end your day smiling with slightly less money.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AEConfidential View Post
    The problem with taking it to the dealer is it doesn't do it when I want it to, so I get the "We can't replicate it" response. Ha. The starter relay seems easy (and cheap enough) to replace as a process of eliminate. What exactly is the module or is there a specific module you are referring to? I've seen an ignition starter switch that isn't too expensive either.
    I stopped being a shade tree mechanic when everything went digital and electronic. lol. But my understanding is that when you push the start button, it doesn't send power directly to the starter. Instead, the power goes first to a "module", such as the Power Control Module (PCM), or in some cars even the Body Control Module (BCM). They're part of the "brain" that controls all the various complicated functions baked into modern cars. These modules aren't user-serviceable, and just get replaced when they go bad.

    Here's a short story:

    My wife had a Cadillac a few years ago that did the exact same thing as yours. Couldn't get it to do it when the dealer had it. So we take it on a trip from Texas to California with her mother and dad, and it eventually strands us in the desert. Deader than a doornail. I was able to get Cadillac on OnStar, but they were hours away from getting us help. I kept fiddling with it, though, and it finally started after two hours. I didn't shut it off until we got home.

    Back home, I took it straight to the dealer and told them the car put us in danger, and I wasn't going to leave until they fixed it. I also told them I thought it was probably the PCM. They swapped out the PCM and Bingo! the car started right up.

    Morale of the story - you may have to wait until it craps out to find the problem.
    If someone blows up a school with a bomb they go after the bomber ... if someone shoots up a school they go after the gun.

    A privilege is just a right that has been taken away by government.

    Political correctness is cowardice wrapped in a lie.
    ________________________________

    2013 Acura RDX Tech, 30% tints, hardwired Escort 8500 X50

    2011 Infiniti M56, 30% ceramic tint, hard-wired Escort 8500 X50, LED cabin and trunk lighting - traded!


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
    I stopped being a shade tree mechanic when everything went digital and electronic. lol. But my understanding is that when you push the start button, it doesn't send power directly to the starter. Instead, the power goes first to a "module", such as the Power Control Module (PCM), or in some cars even the Body Control Module (BCM). They're part of the "brain" that controls all the various complicated functions baked into modern cars. These modules aren't user-serviceable, and just get replaced when they go bad.

    Here's a short story:

    My wife had a Cadillac a few years ago that did the exact same thing as yours. Couldn't get it to do it when the dealer had it. So we take it on a trip from Texas to California with her mother and dad, and it eventually strands us in the desert. Deader than a doornail. I was able to get Cadillac on OnStar, but they were hours away from getting us help. I kept fiddling with it, though, and it finally started after two hours. I didn't shut it off until we got home.

    Back home, I took it straight to the dealer and told them the car put us in danger, and I wasn't going to leave until they fixed it. I also told them I thought it was probably the PCM. They swapped out the PCM and Bingo! the car started right up.

    Morale of the story - you may have to wait until it craps out to find the problem.
    Yeah, might just have to wait until whatever it is completely fails, at this point we'll keep driving it until it won't start at all. The 03 M has the key fob that inserts in the dash and turns like a key. I remember reading somewhere that it could be the key fob battery, so I replaced it...I'm not holding my breath.
    2015 Toyota Tundra Platinum (silver)
    2006 Infiniti FX45 (silver)
    2003 Infiniti M45 (silver)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •