The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan's next Altima slips out -- Automotive News

The MPG on your G37 is positively shameful !!

I get almost 20 MPG in the friggen Hellcat which is a brick, has 707 hp & weighs in @ over 4500 lbs !
    That's semi-rural, around town driving with me acting the fool (read like a giddy teenager) on a regular basis (it's great sport to roar past ppl dogging along in lesser cars on the 2 lanes here ).

I suspect the 'magic' is in the A8 trans !! It will blow away cars that it shouldn't be able to beat, like my (ex) GT Mustang that weighed 3900 lbs & had 670 HP but was saddled with a not so great A6 that barely managed 18 mpg when driven the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
    In any case, geared with as high a final gear ratio as the CVT, the highway mileage would be the same.
    Exactly !!
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Gee... Thanks. -_-
    My Opin.

Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
    What we DON'T know is if the CVT really plays a part in that good fuel economy.

In other words, if an Altima were fitted with a modern automatic transmission like many other carmakers use - say, an Aisin 8-speed - would it do as well ... or maybe even better? After all, a CVT is essentially just a transmission that shifts for you, but does it steplessly. In doing so, it basically forces the car's engine into a narrow rpm range. A conventional automatic transmission driven in a similar mileage-conscious mode should yield as much economy. The geared transmission just allows more driver control than the pulley trans.

In any case, geared with as high a final gear ratio as the CVT, the highway mileage would be the same.
    Say I think you have the point of an automatic down there MikeTX. The problem is the CVT is light but wastes energy being a pretender. I really think younger people wouldn't mind the large band instead of fake rubber band gears. They know nothing different. So be a CVT or be a much better automatic. It comes down to a choice about how the car drives. I will never accept a fake automatic. If this is about gas mileage keep the CVT and program the POS appropriately. Otherwise go automatic or god forbid manual.

In summary a CVT is lighter and saves gas. But since they want to be pretend regular automatics they have needless loss. I won't be buying anything with a CVT ever (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

I get almost 20 MPG in the friggen Hellcat which is a brick, has 707 hp & weighs in @ over 4500 lbs !
    That's semi-rural, around town driving with me acting the fool (read like a giddy teenager) on a regular basis (it's great sport to roar past ppl dogging along in lesser cars on the 2 lanes here ).

I suspect the 'magic' is in the A8 trans !! It will blow away cars that it shouldn't be able to beat, like my (ex) GT Mustang that weighed 3900 lbs & had 670 HP but was saddled with a not so great A6 that barely managed 18 mpg when driven the same way.

Exactly !!
    I'd love to race you. Less HP but I have some extra really good parts. I was at 23.9 today around town. Just say Dual Clutch Transmission and no wheel spin. Click your heals and away we go. Fun is always fun and no shame to losing to any car. I really never race anybody. I'm good. When can we do it? I'm feeling Helter Skelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Indemand View Post
    Just say Dual Clutch Transmission and no wheel spin. Click your heals and away we go.
    That's the Hellcat's big downfall, it's way under tired and an absolute bear to launch even with the TC nannies on full.
    Too much throttle and all you have is a smoke show, turn off the TC and it will try to kill you
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

Yea it mostly comes down to friction in the transmission itself. There are times though that I can climb a hill at 1200rpm that I couldn't do in a stepped automatic because the tq converter wouldn't be locked. I'm talking climbing at 20mph. These days some automatics gives you a solid lock from 2nd gear or higher so it doesnt feel like it's flappy

Quote Originally Posted by NissLover View Post
    We are talking about a car for the masses here...

And WOW! 46 mpg! That is Hybrid territory!!! That is pretty amazing! I cry at the thought that I have to work to get 18-19mpg on my G37... and it literally only got half of that on my last road trip at 23mpg!

Yea, Nissan don't mess with a good thing! The 2.5L/CVT is amazingly efficient!
    I can't believe you don't break the 20mpg mark. I get 23mpg in all around driving with my G37 6MT. When I do all higway driving, I get about 24-25. If I stick to the speedlimit and do all higway driving I get about 26 -27 mpg. 2012 G37s rwd 6mt.
    Current:

1981 280ZX Turbo, (failed inspection, back in drydock, HELP!!!)
    2012 G37S 6MT Black on Black.
    2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium
    Previously Owned:

2006 G35 6MT Black on Black.(Sold)
    2009 Murano SL (Sold)
    2004 Armada SE 4X4 (Sold)
    2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed(Sold)
    1997 Hardbody 5 Speed (Sold)
    1982 200SX 5 speed(Sold)
    1981 200SX 5 speed (Sold)
    Other Cars:
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    1995 5 speed Dodge Neon
    1981 Chevy Chevette
    1972 Buick Century

Quote Originally Posted by montyz81 View Post
    I can't believe you don't break the 20mpg mark. I get 23mpg in all around driving with my G37 6MT. When I do all higway driving, I get about 24-25. If I stick to the speedlimit and do all higway driving I get about 26 -27 mpg. 2012 G37s rwd 6mt.
    Yeah, it really sux. I noticed that even when cruising at highway speeds the instant MPG meter won't even reach 30mpg, even with cruise control set. I wonder if something could be up... But I also can't say that I am always cruising. I don't constantly floor the car or anything, but the slowest I'm going is 5 over and if I can I turn on cruise control. I make it a point to watch the RPMs at times and even skip gears and I am not jumping the line at red lights or anything. I realized that I drove my Altima MUCH harder than I do this car. I've given up, but I'll try and see if i can adjust and squeeze more out of it. I hope IT IS driver error.

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Houston... aka hot as hell and always humid. Don't think that helps either.
    Last edited by NissLover; 08-29-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    My Opin.

Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by NissLover View Post
    Yeah, it really sux. I noticed that even when cruising at highway speeds the instant MPG meter won't even reach 30mpg, even with cruise control set. I wonder if something could be up... But I also can't say that I am always cruising. I don't constantly floor the car or anything, but the slowest I'm going is 5 over and if I can I turn on cruise control. I make it a point to watch the RPMs at times and even skip gears and I am not jumping the line at red lights or anything. I realized that I drove my Altima MUCH harder than I do this car. I've given up, but I'll try and see if i can adjust and squeeze more out of it. I hope IT IS driver error.

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Houston... aka hot as hell and always humid. Don't think that helps either.
    I'm in New Hampshire. In the winter I get about 20 and sometimes lower if the temp goes below 0. I also have a set of snow tire and rims that impact the mpgs in the winter.
    Current:

1981 280ZX Turbo, (failed inspection, back in drydock, HELP!!!)
    2012 G37S 6MT Black on Black.
    2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium
    Previously Owned:

2006 G35 6MT Black on Black.(Sold)
    2009 Murano SL (Sold)
    2004 Armada SE 4X4 (Sold)
    2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed(Sold)
    1997 Hardbody 5 Speed (Sold)
    1982 200SX 5 speed(Sold)
    1981 200SX 5 speed (Sold)
    Other Cars:
    2000 Toyota Tundra