The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan's next Altima slips out -- Automotive News

The MPG on your G37 is positively shameful !!

I get almost 20 MPG in the friggen Hellcat which is a brick, has 707 hp & weighs in @ over 4500 lbs !
    That's semi-rural, around town driving with me acting the fool (read like a giddy teenager) on a regular basis (it's great sport to roar past ppl dogging along in lesser cars on the 2 lanes here ).

I suspect the 'magic' is in the A8 trans !! It will blow away cars that it shouldn't be able to beat, like my (ex) GT Mustang that weighed 3900 lbs & had 670 HP but was saddled with a not so great A6 that barely managed 18 mpg when driven the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
    In any case, geared with as high a final gear ratio as the CVT, the highway mileage would be the same.
    Exactly !!
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Black - A8 trans, Navi, Carbon Fiber Stripes

2009 G37 Convertible - Athens Blue/Bone - Premium, Sport, Navi

2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Premium, Wood, Spoiler

2016 Mustang GT Premium, Guard/Ebony - Roush SuperCharger & loads more ** Lemon Lawed @ 1200 miles
    2009 M45s - Black Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Advanced Tech, Wood, Spoiler ** GONE !
    2007 Titan LE Crew - Deep Water Blue - ** GONE
    2002 Q45 Desert Platinum - Sport & Sunshade Pkg ** GONE !

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Gee... Thanks. -_-
    My Opin.

Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_TX View Post
    What we DON'T know is if the CVT really plays a part in that good fuel economy.

In other words, if an Altima were fitted with a modern automatic transmission like many other carmakers use - say, an Aisin 8-speed - would it do as well ... or maybe even better? After all, a CVT is essentially just a transmission that shifts for you, but does it steplessly. In doing so, it basically forces the car's engine into a narrow rpm range. A conventional automatic transmission driven in a similar mileage-conscious mode should yield as much economy. The geared transmission just allows more driver control than the pulley trans.

In any case, geared with as high a final gear ratio as the CVT, the highway mileage would be the same.
    Say I think you have the point of an automatic down there MikeTX. The problem is the CVT is light but wastes energy being a pretender. I really think younger people wouldn't mind the large band instead of fake rubber band gears. They know nothing different. So be a CVT or be a much better automatic. It comes down to a choice about how the car drives. I will never accept a fake automatic. If this is about gas mileage keep the CVT and program the POS appropriately. Otherwise go automatic or god forbid manual.

In summary a CVT is lighter and saves gas. But since they want to be pretend regular automatics they have needless loss. I won't be buying anything with a CVT ever (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

I get almost 20 MPG in the friggen Hellcat which is a brick, has 707 hp & weighs in @ over 4500 lbs !
    That's semi-rural, around town driving with me acting the fool (read like a giddy teenager) on a regular basis (it's great sport to roar past ppl dogging along in lesser cars on the 2 lanes here ).

I suspect the 'magic' is in the A8 trans !! It will blow away cars that it shouldn't be able to beat, like my (ex) GT Mustang that weighed 3900 lbs & had 670 HP but was saddled with a not so great A6 that barely managed 18 mpg when driven the same way.

Exactly !!
    I'd love to race you. Less HP but I have some extra really good parts. I was at 23.9 today around town. Just say Dual Clutch Transmission and no wheel spin. Click your heals and away we go. Fun is always fun and no shame to losing to any car. I really never race anybody. I'm good. When can we do it? I'm feeling Helter Skelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Indemand View Post
    Just say Dual Clutch Transmission and no wheel spin. Click your heals and away we go.
    That's the Hellcat's big downfall, it's way under tired and an absolute bear to launch even with the TC nannies on full.
    Too much throttle and all you have is a smoke show, turn off the TC and it will try to kill you
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Black - A8 trans, Navi, Carbon Fiber Stripes

2009 G37 Convertible - Athens Blue/Bone - Premium, Sport, Navi

2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Premium, Wood, Spoiler

2016 Mustang GT Premium, Guard/Ebony - Roush SuperCharger & loads more ** Lemon Lawed @ 1200 miles
    2009 M45s - Black Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Advanced Tech, Wood, Spoiler ** GONE !
    2007 Titan LE Crew - Deep Water Blue - ** GONE
    2002 Q45 Desert Platinum - Sport & Sunshade Pkg ** GONE !

Yea it mostly comes down to friction in the transmission itself. There are times though that I can climb a hill at 1200rpm that I couldn't do in a stepped automatic because the tq converter wouldn't be locked. I'm talking climbing at 20mph. These days some automatics gives you a solid lock from 2nd gear or higher so it doesnt feel like it's flappy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12