The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Nissan August sales implode

  1. #1

    Nissan August sales implode

    Bad bad month. Not sure what happened here, but sure does feel like a sweet deal could be had by during the month of Sept at any Nissan store.
    August 2017 August 2016 % Change
    Nissan Group Total sales (units) 108,326 124,638 -13.1
    Nissan Division sales 97,340 114,199 -14.8
    INFINITI sales* 10,986 10,439 +5.2
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nissan Group announced total U.S. sales for August 2017 of 108,326 units, a decrease of 13 percent from last year.
    Nissan highlights:

    • Nissan Titan sales increased 182 percent to 3,521.
    • Nissan Armada set an August record with 4,454 in sales, up 767 percent.
    • Nissan Sentra sales increased to 15,285, up 7 percent.
    • Nissan LEAF sales increased to 1,154, up 8 percent.
    • NV200 set a record for August with 1,615 in sales, up 12 percent.

    *INFINITI sales total included for reference. For more information on Infiniti’s August sales performance, please visit infinitinews.com.
    NOTE: To ensure consistency in global sales reporting, Nissan North America calculates monthly variances on a straight-percentage basis, unadjusted for the number of selling days. August 2017 had 27 selling days, while August 2016 had 26 selling days.
    Current:

    1981 280ZX Turbo, (failed inspection, back in drydock, HELP!!!)
    2012 G37S 6MT Black on Black.
    2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium
    Previously Owned:

    2006 G35 6MT Black on Black.(Sold)
    2009 Murano SL (Sold)
    2004 Armada SE 4X4 (Sold)
    2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed(Sold)
    1997 Hardbody 5 Speed (Sold)
    1982 200SX 5 speed(Sold)
    1981 200SX 5 speed (Sold)
    Other Cars:
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    1995 5 speed Dodge Neon
    1981 Chevy Chevette
    1972 Buick Century

  2. #2
    NISSAN DIVISION
    AUG AUG Monthly CYTD CYTD CYTD
    2017 2016 % chg 2017 2016 % chg
    Nissan Division Total 97,340 114,199 -14.8 955,340 969,865 -1.5
    Versa 6,759 10,585 -36.1 71,216 94,902 -25.0
    Sentra 15,285 14,256 7.2 146,583 155,806 -5.9
    Cube 0.0 15 -100.0
    Altima 14,694 19,646 -25.2 183,292 217,290 -15.6
    Maxima 4,424 6,064 -27.0 41,273 42,807 -3.6
    LEAF 1,154 1,066 8.3 9,685 7,922 22.3
    Juke 571 1,143 -50.0 8,555 15,267 -44.0
    370Z 335 590 -43.2 3,265 4,292 -23.9
    GT-R 47 88 -46.6 450 455 -1.1
    Total Car 43,269 53,438 -19.0 464,319 538,756 -13.8
    Frontier 4,637 9,537 -51.4 50,097 61,792 -18.9
    Titan 3,521 1,248 182.1 31,776 8,490 274.3
    Xterra 2 0.0 1 38 -97.4
    Pathfinder 3,726 5,794 -35.7 54,259 51,083 6.2
    Armada 4,454 514 766.5 21,086 6,371 231.0
    Rogue 29,844 32,979 -9.5 257,958 215,160 19.9
    Murano 4,895 7,482 -34.6 45,905 53,246 -13.8
    Quest 2 327 -99.4 4,935 9,846 -49.9
    NV 1,377 1,431 -3.8 12,162 11,988 1.5
    NV200 1,615 1,447 11.6 12,842 13,095 -2
    Total Truck 54,071 60,761 -11.0 491,021 431,109 13.9
    North American produced 71,192 90,023 -20.9 746,664 809,830 -7.8
    Car 42,316 51,617 -18.0 452,049 518,727 -12.9
    Truck 28,876 38,406 -24.8 294,615 291,103 1.2
    Import 26,148 24,176 8.2 208,676 160,035 30.4
    Car 953 1,821 -47.7 12,270 20,029 -38.7
    Truck 25,195 22,355 12.7 196,406 140,006 40.3
    Current:

    1981 280ZX Turbo, (failed inspection, back in drydock, HELP!!!)
    2012 G37S 6MT Black on Black.
    2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium
    Previously Owned:

    2006 G35 6MT Black on Black.(Sold)
    2009 Murano SL (Sold)
    2004 Armada SE 4X4 (Sold)
    2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed(Sold)
    1997 Hardbody 5 Speed (Sold)
    1982 200SX 5 speed(Sold)
    1981 200SX 5 speed (Sold)
    Other Cars:
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    1995 5 speed Dodge Neon
    1981 Chevy Chevette
    1972 Buick Century

  3. #3
    INFINITI
    AUG AUG Monthly CYTD CYTD CYTD
    2017 2016 % chg 2017 2016 % chg
    Infiniti Total 10,986 10,439 5.2 100,969 85,362 18.3
    Infiniti Q40 0.0 59 -100.0
    Infiniti Q50 2,541 3,745 -32.1 24,740 26,804 -7.7
    Infiniti Q60 690 169 308.3 7,393 916 707.1
    Infiniti Q70 400 439 -8.9 4,058 4,093 -0.9
    Infiniti QX30 806 74 0.0 10,928 74 0.0
    Infiniti QX50 1,370 1,200 14.2 10,515 11,184 -6.0
    Infiniti QX60 3,697 3,268 13.1 25,481 27,941 -8.8
    Infiniti QX70 454 283 60.4 5,846 3,699 58.0
    Infiniti QX80 1,028 1,261 -18.5 12,008 10,592 13.4
    Total Car 3,631 4,353 -16.6 36,191 31,872 13.6
    Total Truck 7,355 6,012 22.3 64,778 53,416 21.3
    NISSAN GROUP AUG AUG Monthly CYTD CYTD CYTD
    2017 2016 % chg 2017 2016 % chg
    TOTAL VEHICLE 108,326 124,638 -13.1 1,056,309 1,055,227 0.1
    Total Car 46,900 57,791 -18.8 500,510 570,628 -12.3
    Total Truck 61,426 66,773 -8.0 555,799 484,525 14.7
    Current:

    1981 280ZX Turbo, (failed inspection, back in drydock, HELP!!!)
    2012 G37S 6MT Black on Black.
    2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium
    Previously Owned:

    2006 G35 6MT Black on Black.(Sold)
    2009 Murano SL (Sold)
    2004 Armada SE 4X4 (Sold)
    2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed(Sold)
    1997 Hardbody 5 Speed (Sold)
    1982 200SX 5 speed(Sold)
    1981 200SX 5 speed (Sold)
    Other Cars:
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    1995 5 speed Dodge Neon
    1981 Chevy Chevette
    1972 Buick Century

  4. #4
    Surprised to see Murano and Altima down that much!

    I just posted a thread on low prices for Maximas, but they're doing better on a percentage basis than Altima. Of ocurse, Altima sells at 4 times the rate of the Maxima.

    Mid-summer slump, maybe.
    If someone blows up a school with a bomb they go after the bomber ... if someone shoots up a school they go after the gun.

    A privilege is just a right that has been taken away by government.

    Political correctness is cowardice wrapped in a lie.
    ________________________________

    2013 Acura RDX Tech, 30% tints, hardwired Escort 8500 X50

    2011 Infiniti M56, 30% ceramic tint, hard-wired Escort 8500 X50, LED cabin and trunk lighting - traded!


  5. #5
    I'm seeing the armada everywhere where I live!

  6. #6
    Harvey probably played a role in the decline. I'm sure there would have still been a decline without Harvey, but I'm sure it didn't help. Houston is a large and key market for Nissan and Infiniti.
    My Opin.

    Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

  7. #7
    Is anyone watching the unveiling of the leaf? It looks like it'll probably look like the new Micra?

  8. #8
    The Armada SL is a bargain if you need/want a full size SUV !

    The issue around here is the dealers all seem to have colluded to keep the prices (and dealer fees) high. No one puts their real price on-line, just MSRP & any incentives available.
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

    GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rennie4 View Post
    Is anyone watching the unveiling of the leaf? It looks like it'll probably look like the new Micra?
    I'm watching it now. Looks to be 8:30PM EST
    2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD.

    AKA... 2HD

  10. #10
    Oh, August sales. Get rid of the old to make room for the new. Problem is many of these cars can't take the depreciation hit based on how our system works. A 2016 made vehicle called a 2017 has the same value as a car built 9 or so months later. We should fix this. The couple grand off doesn't cut it.

    What the heck is with the GTR. Selling less than a hundred isn't good.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Indemand View Post
    What the heck is with the GTR. Selling less than a hundred isn't good.
    Whats wrong with the GTR is that its no longer as good of a value as it used to be. There are other cars with similar or better performance for about the same if not less money. The Nismo version of the GTR runs 170K which is insane. It is not worth 170K at all considering that it doesn't have much of an improvement over the regular GTR. Look at the NSX, it has similar performance if not better and looks 100X better and is struggling at 150K price range.
    Last edited by NismoS224; 09-07-2017 at 01:41 AM.

  12. #12
    Nissan sales are tanking (as I foresaw) because their quality and reliability are WAY down. Everything except the interiors are worse relative to the competition than they were pre-180, back before Ghosn did his best, and his only great, work with the company 2002-2010.

    No one wants the CVTs, and now the lack of the reliabiltiy you expect from Japan, dated power trains and EXTREMELY, EMBARRASSINGLY dated infotainment are taking a huge toll.

    I honestly don't see how they can turn this tide. Better batten down and prepare to sustain a 5+ year perfect storm. The lack of vision within this company has set them up for some real hard times.

    The Camry outsold the Altima 2:1. If you look at all the August charts, the Altima is back to being an also-ran in the segment. During the years of the great, game-changing 3rd-gen, and through the not-as-great but still (Hey! you could get a manual to duck the CVT!) good 4th gen, it was a top-3 contender. It actually had Honda and Toyota worried.

    Quote Originally Posted by NismoS224 View Post
    Whats wrong with the GTR is that its no longer as good of a value as it used to be. There are other cars with similar or better performance for about the same if not less money. The Nismo version of the GTR runs 170K which is insane. It is not worth 170K at all considering that it doesn't have much of an improvement over the regular GTR. Look at the NSX, it has similar performance if not better and looks 100X better and is struggling at 150K price range.
    That's definitely part of it. The GTR is also nearly a decade old, albeit with some significant upgrades along the way. Nissan finally put a mass-production version of its hand-built engine in the Infiniti line. I hope they do the same with its "Premimum Midship" platform which is basically the FM on steroids. I suppose more high-strength steel. That could help keep upcoming Infinitis from feeling like outdated wet noodles compared to the fierce competition, all of which is riding on new chassis designs that have debuted in the past 4 years.

    My biggest problem with the GTR is that it's not an Infiniti. This is another part of Ghosn's not giving an aat's rass about the brand. The GTR should have been an Infiniti back in 2009 and it would have filled the halo role that the LFA and NSX occupied for Lexus and Acura. Even if it only sold a few hundred per year, it would have brought so many more people into the dealer network to buy the "affordable" version, a.k.a. the G37/Q60.

  13. #13
    You sound crazy lol. 1 bad month that wasn't even that bad and u go ape **** on Nissan lol. You're 2 funny.

  14. #14
    The sales are down not in any major way due to the quality and reliability of their vehicles but because of the following,


    1. Toyota has increased their fleet sales in a major way, they have publicly announced this (but autonews wont write 20,000 negative articles about it when toyota does it). How did Rav4 go from being a distant 3rd place to now 1st place in the compact crossover sales race? Because of their heavy increase in fleets that's why, dont have me believe people have "seen the light" and are buying the end-of-cycle rav4 over the newer Rogue and CR-V. I think rental companies are opting for toyota over Nissan vehicles.
    2. Nissan dealership network still needs work
    3. Most importantly Nissan's brand image is weak and it is reflected in sales and pricing power. This was the biggest mistake of Ghosn, he never concentrated on this, the past 10 years have been an opportune time for Nissan to publicize how much more reliable they are than toyota and honda with their massive recalls in the millions in recent years that Nissan has never come close to. Look how many people died driving hondas because of their recalls. the marketing firm chiat/day has been lousy they simply got lucky with the Star wars Rogue one campaign but that shouldnt make up for all the crap or lack thereof marketing for a decade before. the superbowl add was a major waste. I dont see anything different in their marketing after the "shake up" from the new Nissan sales and marketing cheif. I wouldnt have given them another chance quite frankly cause they've sucked for so long. Nissan's brand image is too weak, and they really need to put a big effort into promoting quality and reliability, instead of letting crap mags like car and driver and consumer reports that always write something negative about them. Call everyone out who wants to write negative stuff about them while turning a blind eye to unreliable honda and toyota with their massive recalls that kill people.


    Quote Originally Posted by JayG35 View Post
    Nissan sales are tanking (as I foresaw) because their quality and reliability are WAY down. Everything except the interiors are worse relative to the competition than they were pre-180, back before Ghosn did his best, and his only great, work with the company 2002-2010.

    No one wants the CVTs, and now the lack of the reliabiltiy you expect from Japan, dated power trains and EXTREMELY, EMBARRASSINGLY dated infotainment are taking a huge toll.

    I honestly don't see how they can turn this tide. Better batten down and prepare to sustain a 5+ year perfect storm. The lack of vision within this company has set them up for some real hard times.

    The Camry outsold the Altima 2:1. If you look at all the August charts, the Altima is back to being an also-ran in the segment. During the years of the great, game-changing 3rd-gen, and through the not-as-great but still (Hey! you could get a manual to duck the CVT!) good 4th gen, it was a top-3 contender. It actually had Honda and Toyota worried.



    That's definitely part of it. The GTR is also nearly a decade old, albeit with some significant upgrades along the way. Nissan finally put a mass-production version of its hand-built engine in the Infiniti line. I hope they do the same with its "Premimum Midship" platform which is basically the FM on steroids. I suppose more high-strength steel. That could help keep upcoming Infinitis from feeling like outdated wet noodles compared to the fierce competition, all of which is riding on new chassis designs that have debuted in the past 4 years.

    My biggest problem with the GTR is that it's not an Infiniti. This is another part of Ghosn's not giving an aat's rass about the brand. The GTR should have been an Infiniti back in 2009 and it would have filled the halo role that the LFA and NSX occupied for Lexus and Acura. Even if it only sold a few hundred per year, it would have brought so many more people into the dealer network to buy the "affordable" version, a.k.a. the G37/Q60.
    2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD.

    AKA... 2HD

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JayG35 View Post
    Nissan sales are tanking (as I foresaw) because their quality and reliability are WAY down. Everything except the interiors are worse relative to the competition than they were pre-180, back before Ghosn did his best, and his only great, work with the company 2002-2010.

    No one wants the CVTs, and now the lack of the reliabiltiy you expect from Japan, dated power trains and EXTREMELY, EMBARRASSINGLY dated infotainment are taking a huge toll.

    I honestly don't see how they can turn this tide. Better batten down and prepare to sustain a 5+ year perfect storm. The lack of vision within this company has set them up for some real hard times.

    The Camry outsold the Altima 2:1. If you look at all the August charts, the Altima is back to being an also-ran in the segment. During the years of the great, game-changing 3rd-gen, and through the not-as-great but still (Hey! you could get a manual to duck the CVT!) good 4th gen, it was a top-3 contender. It actually had Honda and Toyota worried.



    That's definitely part of it. The GTR is also nearly a decade old, albeit with some significant upgrades along the way. Nissan finally put a mass-production version of its hand-built engine in the Infiniti line. I hope they do the same with its "Premimum Midship" platform which is basically the FM on steroids. I suppose more high-strength steel. That could help keep upcoming Infinitis from feeling like outdated wet noodles compared to the fierce competition, all of which is riding on new chassis designs that have debuted in the past 4 years.

    My biggest problem with the GTR is that it's not an Infiniti. This is another part of Ghosn's not giving an aat's rass about the brand. The GTR should have been an Infiniti back in 2009 and it would have filled the halo role that the LFA and NSX occupied for Lexus and Acura. Even if it only sold a few hundred per year, it would have brought so many more people into the dealer network to buy the "affordable" version, a.k.a. the G37/Q60.
    Dude, you're REALLY going off on the deep end with these assumptions you make all the time. Lest we forget that Nissan has been on a sales role, and excluding the last couple of months have had record sales.

    There's really no point in trying to debate with you at this rate. The one I will touch on is the CVT... The average buyer DOESN'T CARE! All of the Japan Big 3 have CVTs now. And they all sell at the same rate as they did before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nissan_Motor_Co View Post
    The sales are down not in any major way due to the quality and reliability of their vehicles but because of the following,


    1. Toyota has increased their fleet sales in a major way, they have publicly announced this (but autonews wont write 20,000 negative articles about it when toyota does it). How did Rav4 go from being a distant 3rd place to now 1st place in the compact crossover sales race? Because of their heavy increase in fleets that's why, dont have me believe people have "seen the light" and are buying the end-of-cycle rav4 over the newer Rogue and CR-V. I think rental companies are opting for toyota over Nissan vehicles.
    2. Nissan dealership network still needs work
    3. Most importantly Nissan's brand image is weak and it is reflected in sales and pricing power. This was the biggest mistake of Ghosn, he never concentrated on this, the past 10 years have been an opportune time for Nissan to publicize how much more reliable they are than toyota and honda with their massive recalls in the millions in recent years that Nissan has never come close to. Look how many people died driving hondas because of their recalls. the marketing firm chiat/day has been lousy they simply got lucky with the Star wars Rogue one campaign but that shouldnt make up for all the crap or lack thereof marketing for a decade before. the superbowl add was a major waste. I dont see anything different in their marketing after the "shake up" from the new Nissan sales and marketing cheif. I wouldnt have given them another chance quite frankly cause they've sucked for so long. Nissan's brand image is too weak, and they really need to put a big effort into promoting quality and reliability, instead of letting crap mags like car and driver and consumer reports that always write something negative about them. Call everyone out who wants to write negative stuff about them while turning a blind eye to unreliable honda and toyota with their massive recalls that kill people.
    Now THIS makes perfect sense, and I totally agree. Toyota gets good press for leaning on fleet, but people rag on it when Nissan does it. It is VERY funny that all of a sudden the RAV4 is pushing over 40k, and like you said, there is nothing special about it. The Rogue is at least recently updated and has a relatively nice interior. And I have seen a few Rogue Sports out on the roads. Good looking little CUV!

    But yes, Nissan needs to solidify their brand and position in the marketplace. Their marketing is very inconsistent. Please find a message and stick to it. In regards to the automotive media, they need to focus on finding a balance of ride quality and handling, and focus on have THE BEST behaving CVTs in the industry. You pioneered it, be the best!
    My Opin.

    Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •