The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: New Electric Infiniti SUV Concept & "Sporty" QX50

New Electric Infiniti SUV Concept & "Sporty" QX50

INFINITI SUV CONCEPT FOR DETROIT PREVIEWS BRAND'S FIRST ELECTRIC VEHICLE

Infiniti will celebrate its 30th year as a brand in January when it shows a concept previewing its first fully electric vehicle at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It was at the 1989 NAIAS that the brand made its international debut with the Q45.

The SUV concept to be shown next month shows the design direction for future Infiniti models in keeping with the plan to electrify all models across the lineup starting in 2021. They will be a mix of pure EVs and e-power hybrids which use a small gasoline engine to charge the battery. The automaker is developing a new electric platform for future models.

Last year in Detroit, Infiniti showed theQ Inspiration concept sedanwith a shorter front end and larger cabin to reflect the design changes possible with smaller engines or electric motors as future propulsion which require a smaller engine bay or none at all. The design also reflected the impact of autonomous driving on how interior space is crafted and the need for greater connectivity for occupants.

Electric power makes new vehicle proportions possible, said Alfonso Albaisa, senior vice president for global design at Nissan Motor Co. The concept's design is described as a mix of simplicity and technology inspired by Japanese culture. The idea was first explored in the Q Inspiration and Prototype 10 shown at the 2018 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

"The concept car we will show in Detroit is the beginning of a new era for Infiniti and an illustration of where we want to go with the brand," said Karim Habib, Infiniti's executive design director.

But before things go electric, the brand will expand its innovative VC-Turbo variable-compression-ratio gas engine by adding a sporty variant of the Infiniti QX50.

By way of:
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/infiniti-suv-concept-detroit-previews-first-electric-vehicle/?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-motortrend&utm_content=later-1453821&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram

There are many articles out about this teaser image of the Electric SUV concept, but it seems MT is the only one to drop this little tidbit about a "sporty" version of the QX50 and expanding the VC-Turbo to do so. I wonder if it will show up at Detroit as well, and if so, just how much "expansion" is there in the VC-Turbo? I'm honestly having a hard time imagining a sporty QX50. I think it has nailed the "luxury" image, so I am very curious there.

I'm excited to see the new crossover concept. It seems like it previews a production model, so it's not just another random "inspiration" concept. Seems it a modern electric interpretation of the QX70. I'm still up in the air on electric, but I am also intrigued by it.

My Opin.

Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

It's hard to take their concepts seriously anymore when everything is an "Inspiration" that never makes it to production.

As for a "Sporty" QX50, either lose the CVT or go home with the sporty bullcrap.

As was predicted, nothing sedan/coupe in sight. That will either come in 2021, or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JayG35 View Post
    It's hard to take their concepts seriously anymore when everything is an "Inspiration" that never makes it to production.

As for a "Sporty" QX50, either lose the CVT or go home with the sporty bullcrap.

As was predicted, nothing sedan/coupe in sight. That will either come in 2021, or not at all.
    Yes, coming from a company that understood what sporty meant, that really is bullcrap. Infiniti is in the business of making concepts i guess I think I just gave the brand too much credit before and now have come to realize that they really aren't all that great. I would tell myself that they are inline with Lexus but in reality they aren't and I'm not talking about numbers. I've stated this before. Infiniti has come to realize that they have made huge mistakes and know that revamping the brand is going to be difficult. They figure lets go electric and catch some market share before the big boys come around and squash us.

Quote Originally Posted by NismoS224 View Post
    Yes, coming from a company that understood what sporty meant, that really is bullcrap. Infiniti is in the business of making concepts i guess I think I just gave the brand too much credit before and now have come to realize that they really aren't all that great. I would tell myself that they are inline with Lexus but in reality they aren't and I'm not talking about numbers. I've stated this before. Infiniti has come to realize that they have made huge mistakes and know that revamping the brand is going to be difficult. They figure lets go electric and catch some market share before the big boys come around and squash us.
    That's right, I 100% agree with your sentiment. If we had a rep system I'd try to give you 1000 points.

Infiniti is definitely trying to eye easy money and grab cash with EVs. Not interesting, sexy, exciting EVs, nothing an enthusiast would want like Tesla is doing (as will the Germans after 2020). No, they are going to make EV SUVs. That's it. At least, that's all that is confirmed for now. Great!

Infiniti lacks the resolve or vision to continue to build itself as a desirable brand. They definitely are looking for the easy road, and as you said, want to be first to a market before the competitors "squash" them. It's not a sustainable strategy. This is a recipe for failure. Tesla and the Germans will destroy them by the mid-2020s, even if they launch some decent EV CUVs in 2020. Nissan has shown that they don't invest wisely in product development, and that they'd rather follow than lead. Watch as the competition catches up by 2025, their new EVs stop selling, and they hold on to the same old models for a decade to penny-pinch. At that point, I'm sure the board will finally give serious thought to killing Infinti.

You and I both gave them too much credit. They had a string of great, successful models for about 10 years. Then they fell apart, and are now worse than ever. To say that they aren't on the level of Lexus is being too nice. It's understating how far down the food chain Infiniti really is-- and that's unforgivable given how much prestige they built with the G, M and FX.

Infiniti is not in the same galaxy as Lexus. And Lexus, as successsful as they are in the USA (thanks ONLY to Camry-based tripe like the ES and RX), is not in the same universe as BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Lexus, if you take the US market out of the equation (as unfair as it sounds, but let's be hypothetical), is about as massive a failure as Infiniti. Their RWD prestige models don't sell jack overseas, and are increasingly sitting on dealer lots here as well. They are not on the radar of the German three. And they too have lost direction lately. They have the opposite problem that Infiniti has currently-- they are so laser-focused on being sporty that they have compromised on quality and refinement. Even Consumer Reports panned the new LS500 and said that all three German sedans are better buys-- even better values. Remember when Lexus built a better car in the LS for less money? That's out the window. Same as Infiniti with the G-now-Q50 versus the C-class and 3-series. You can option a Q50 up to 60 grand just like those, and feel like you're driving 70% of the car that those brands offer.

It's so pathetic that one wonders why they should care. If you look at the comments under every Infiniti press article, it's clear that most don't.

I mean all i have to say is qx50 vs bothe the rx and nx. Are those vehicles better than the qx50? I think its on par if not better than those 2 so yes i think they have something appealing to buy cvt and all. Qx80 or lexus lx570. I actually like the qx better minus the infotainment and steering wheel. Thats it... yes they need 2 update everything but to say they arent on the ssme level as lexus? Lexus isnt impressing me. Maybe with the ne twin turbo v6 and 10spd it is but thats in a car infinitin doesnt have yet. Cant they use mercedes 9spd?

its kinda like have a Rogue Sport, but less desirable?
    Shift_the future :D
    1998 240SX SE-my 1st project
    Certified Car Nut.