The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: 2018 Mercedes Benz CLA220 TurboDiesel stationwagen - Short take

2018 Mercedes Benz CLA220 TurboDiesel stationwagen - Short take

I am currently in Europe and using a rental until my beloved Nissan SUV makes it across the pond.

Driving a 2018 Mercedes Benz CLA220 TurboDiesel rental for 6 weeks now.
    It had less than 2000 miles on the odo when I got it. (now aprox 3000)

Pros:

Interior looks and is nice, switchgear nicely executed..
    Looks good outside too
    handles fine at most speeds (had my cruise set at 100 mph for almost half an hour between Halle and Leipzig)
    Good fuel economy (when not going 100 mph and even then not too terrible)
    Good seats

Cons

Very Expensive
    At anything over 100 mph gets floaty in the curves
    Huge turbo lag from a dig... to the point were a quick merge into a busy street needed excessive throttle. Very little power on dip in of throttle
    Big Turbo lag from a roll at inner city street speeds.. yes this is in addition to the dig, "dig". Makes responsive merging harder than with the Nissan VQ engine
    The Mercedes Navigation is terrible. Counterintutive. Often doesnt understand my commands, I tried both German and English..My buddy ( also no stranger to cars) had same problems..has no touch screen features to override voice... also it looks like a tacked on after thought in an otherwise nice interior. Had to buy my own Nav to hang under the windshield, which works fine.
    Counterintutive seat adjust
    For the price class I expect leather.

Nice vehicle.. especially due to its newness and status but I'd prefer my Xterra or Pathfinder.
    PS: Needs a VQ.

Stock pics:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

You should have rented the AMG twin turbo version (if they still make it)

The "iPad on the dash" seems to be the new trend in dash design, it's popping up on even the lower end cars now
    Personally, like the wide mouth grills & huge brand logos, I don't much care for it.
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

I have a pop up NAV. Keeps wanting to pop up. Keep shutting it down. Damn thing is distracting and mostly unnecessary. They need to make these things integrated and less distracting. You can see in this car where a bit of view is taken away. Just looks awkward to me.

Soon I will have my Nissan SUV with the VQ40 here...
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Thanks for the review! It's nice to read rental impressions, especially of a version that isn't even sold in the states.

This doesn't need a VQ. It needs an M256, that sweet-as-heck new inline-6 that Mercedes is stuffing into the E, CLS, GLE, and S. <3

There's a new CLA on the way which looks like a huge improvement (as was the A-class). I wonder if they'll continue the wagon/shooting break version. Hope so!
    Last edited by JayG35; 01-16-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Now at 4000km.
    Somehow the pic of the interior got dropped with the overly huge Navscreen. here is another:

Attached Images Attached Images