The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Another one bites the dust

Another one bites the dust

Infiniti has lost another one. Meunier replaces Roland Krueger. Whats going on with Infiniti?

Hopefully the engineering Dept stays intact..
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

May be related to the Ghosn debacle.. apparently there may be a purge of Ghosn appointed leadership.
    My Opin.

Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by palmerwmd View Post
    Hopefully the engineering Dept stays intact..
    What have they done that's worthwhile recently? Front wheel drive SUVs and parts-bin CVTs from Nissans?

Quote Originally Posted by JayG35 View Post
    What have they done that's worthwhile recently? Front wheel drive SUVs and parts-bin CVTs from Nissans?
    Nissan and Infiniti need to stop using the "sport" when it comes to their vehicles. I'm tired of hearing about sport models and swooping roof lines or whatever it is they call it. It's getting old, no body cares what you did or what you call it, just make it look good. On a different note, I just leased a 2019 Toyota Camry for my mother and test drove both the Accord and Altima. After driving them back to back I can say the Accord is the better overall car in the group. The Camry and Altima are on par with the Altima to have to cheapest looking and feeling interior out of the group. I chose the Camry simply because of the automatic transmission and overall value I saw in the vehicle. I plan on buying the vehicle once the lease is over and trust a conventional auto for long term use then a CVT.

Apparently he left to head Dyson's electric car initiative...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...o-lead-project
    My Opin.

Former: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Sedan 6MT [Totaled :( ]
    Current: 2013 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by NissLover View Post
    Apparently he left to head Dyson's electric car initiative...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...o-lead-project
    If it's the same company, I hope their cars are way better than their overpriced vacuum cleaners !
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, Max Steel/Blk - A8 trans, Navi, C Fiber Stripes
    2018 Durango R/T, Vice White/Blk, Tow, Blacktop pkg, Perf Tires
    2017 Honda Accord Touring V6, Basque Red Pearl/Ivory

GONE:
    2003.5 G35s Caribbean Blue - Prem, Wood, Spoiler
    2009 G37 Vert Athens Blue/Bone - Prem, Sport, Nav
    2016 Mustang GT Prem, Guard/Ebony - Roush SC +++ ** Lmn Law 1200 mi
    2009 M45s Obsidian/Graphite - Sport, Tech, Adv Tech, Wood, Spoiler
    2007 Titan LE Crew Deep Water Blue
    2002 Q45s Desert Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by NismoS224 View Post
    Nissan and Infiniti need to stop using the "sport" when it comes to their vehicles. I'm tired of hearing about sport models and swooping roof lines or whatever it is they call it. It's getting old, no body cares what you did or what you call it, just make it look good. On a different note, I just leased a 2019 Toyota Camry for my mother and test drove both the Accord and Altima. After driving them back to back I can say the Accord is the better overall car in the group. The Camry and Altima are on par with the Altima to have to cheapest looking and feeling interior out of the group. I chose the Camry simply because of the automatic transmission and overall value I saw in the vehicle. I plan on buying the vehicle once the lease is over and trust a conventional auto for long term use then a CVT.
    I totally agree with your reasoning to trust the conventional automatic over the CVT. Did the '19 Camry's 8-speed auto seem to be hesitant to downshift and hunt for gears at times? When I rented an '18 last summer, it wasn't a bad transmission and the driving experience overall was great, but I found its transmission to be lacking in those areas even compared to my 2005 V6 Altima's 5-speed. But again, the new Camry's chassis and suspension tuning are brilliant; it feels almost as sporty and planted as an older G35, but rides MUCH smoother. It verges on Mercedes E-class ride quality without a big handling penalty, which is amazing considering the suspension is mostly steel with very little aluminum to control costs (Lexus models use the aluminium bits). I also found the steering to be much better in the new Camry than any other current FWD car except the Mazda6. I don't disagree with the common take that the Accord is the better car (if you can stand a CVT in the lower trims), but the Camry is just really compelling these days.

How did you find the Accord's steering compared to the Camry (and even Altima)? I was shocked that Toyota could engineeer an electric steering rack that felt so well-weighted, natural, and full of road feel when Infiniti got it so wrong with the Q50 and Q60. Latest reviews say that the Altima too is numb and void of feel with the switch to a pure electric rack.

Another thing I forgot to add is that the Camry and the Altima both have much, much better stereos than the Accord-- both in base trim and with the JBL/Bose premium options. Honda never quite seems to care as much about audio quality compared to Toyota and Nissan; reminds me of older BMWs before their stereos got really nice in the 2000s. If you listen to a lot of music on road trips as I do, this could make a big difference.
    Last edited by JayG35; 01-26-2019 at 01:32 AM.

I totally agree with your reasoning to trust the conventional automatic over the CVT. Did the '19 Camry's 8-speed auto seem to be hesitant to downshift and hunt for gears at times? When I rented an '18 last summer, it wasn't a bad transmission and the driving experience overall was great, but I found its transmission to be lacking in those areas even compared to my 2005 V6 Altima's 5-speed. But again, the new Camry's chassis and suspension tuning are brilliant; it feels almost as sporty and planted as an older G35, but rides MUCH smoother. It verges on Mercedes E-class ride quality without a big handling penalty, which is amazing considering the suspension is mostly steel with very little aluminum to control costs (Lexus models use the aluminium bits). I also found the steering to be much better in the new Camry than any other current FWD car except the Mazda6. I don't disagree with the common take that the Accord is the better car (if you can stand a CVT in the lower trims), but the Camry is just really compelling these days.

How did you find the Accord's steering compared to the Camry (and even Altima)? I was shocked that Toyota could engineeer an electric steering rack that felt so well-weighted, natural, and full of road feel when Infiniti got it so wrong with the Q50 and Q60. Latest reviews say that the Altima too is numb and void of feel with the switch to a pure electric rack.

Another thing I forgot to add is that the Camry and the Altima both have much, much better stereos than the Accord-- both in base trim and with the JBL/Bose premium options. Honda never quite seems to care as much about audio quality compared to Toyota and Nissan; reminds me of older BMWs before their stereos got really nice in the 2000s. If you listen to a lot of music on road trips as I do, this could make a big difference.
    My focus with the driving experience was to look for certain things that I know she would like and notice as apposed to what I would regularly pay attention too. Since I don't have any spirited driving experience with any of the three cars I can say that the Camry's transmission is not the smoothest out of the bunch. It has noticeable lag when up shifting or downshifting compared to other automatic transmissions in the market. Could't make a direct comparison since they other two have a CVT. The Camry overall felt stable and easy to drive with better steering then the Altima and possibly on par with the Accord. The Camry just felt better balanced then the Altima. The interior of the Camry in my opinion looks the most upscale however the cabin is the noisiest out of the group. The Altima's styling also doesn't do it for me but that's just my opinion. The side profile reminds me of the Kia Optima which isn't a bad thing but to my the Kia does a much better job.

My focus with the driving experience was to look for certain things that I know she would notice as apposed to what I would regularly pay attention too. Since I don't have any spirited driving experience with any of the three cars I can say that the Camry's transmission is not the smoothest out of the bunch. It has noticeable lag when up shifting or downshifting compared to other automatic transmissions in the market. Could't make a direct comparison since they other two have a CVT. The Camry overall felt stable and easy to drive with better steering then the Altima and possibly on par with the Accord. The Camry just felt better balanced then the Altima. The interior of the Camry in my opinion looks the most upscale however the cabin is the noisiest out of the group. The Altima's styling also doesn't do it for me but that's just my opinion. The side profile reminds me of the Kia Optima which isn't a bad thing but to my the Kia does a much better job.