The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan-submitted Z sketch on autonews.com???

Nissan-submitted Z sketch on autonews.com???

Check this out if you've not already...
    Doesn't look too far off the recent Japanese magazine depiction that looks so 'shopped...
    http://www.autonews.com/html/main/index.html

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Nissan-submitted Z sketch on autonews.com???

The main difference, as I see it, is that this sketch has a windshield that is more steeply sloped, and the wheel arches are less angular and edgy. The magazine depiction took an actual photo of an Audi TT and photoshopped it to look as much like the sketch as possible. The slope of the windshield makes the back look less sloped, and makes it look like a Z, IMHO.

**DONOTDELETE**

the cab is too far forward, compared to a 240z. oh well, aerodynamic and safety concerns, i guess.

**DONOTDELETE**

whenever there are sketches of cars/trucks, the windshield and the front fascia generally are much more sloped than they turn out to be in production. look at the sketches of the fullsize truck, it's front end is very sloped for a truck. i doubt the finished product will be that way

hey Nsuguy, where did you see the sketch of the full-size truck? Could you please post the link or pic here?

Thanks in advance.

Well maybe so, weel have to wait of course. But Nissan says the sketch accuratley depicts the actual car. Hopefully, they are right.

is it just me, or does the front bumper seem to have a mask photoshopped over the original air dam?

**DONOTDELETE**

It's not just you. I wonder if this has something to do with the statement made by someone at Nissan that the front would be what would really be great. Maybe they're hiding it slightly in the sketch they released.

I agree that in concept drawings the windshields are usually more sloped, but I think that the magazine picture was so upright that anything would be better. The windshield in the sketch reminds me of the Z32.

the way the front is masked really boxes out the front and is very disappointing. i bet the revealed front bumper is gonna be a kickass design.

The front bumper looks great. Nice, Simple and Sturdy looking. I think it looks photo shopped to some for that the artists rendering is of light and shadow on the front end to try and instill depth to the image.

What I notice of concept drawings is the roofline is always drastically lower, wheels always just huge, and a-pillars are drastically sloped on all artists concept renderings. But overall I like this new Z...alot!

The over exagerated size of wheels in conceptual sketches always disappoints me.

I also like the front end in that drawing. Simple, clean, strong, functional. Leave flashiness to aftermarket companies when they start to work on aero parts for the car.

All in all, I think the "Z" in that sketch looks very nice. It has enough of it's own style to quite everyone who loves to say, "This looks too Audi" and "That looks too Porsche".

To me, it looks like a Nissan Sports car for the new millenium. Excellent potential for greatness....in it's design, at least.

**DONOTDELETE**

IMO, this concept looks incredible. Talk about a far cry from that hideous thing they were calling a "Z" a year or so ago. I also think they've masked the frontend in this sketch. If Nissan has their act together, which so far it looks like they do, we will be in for a real treat at the Detroit autoshow. If they can pull it off, Nissan will enjoy a quick turnaround via the younger performance & value-oriented market, a-la the original 240z. Now, Nissan, just *BUILD IT*, price it reasonably, ...and i'll happily be in line to buy one, as will many other people I know.

[This message has been edited by datz510 (edited 01-04-2001).]

tell me honestly is this more grown up looking?

I dont need celica hood and lights on a 30k car do you?

240fan, your concept look pretty sharp but for some reason, the head lights doesnt go with the whole car. I like the Nissan concept better. Now keep in mind that what Nissan gave us is a rough sketch. I am sure the car will look much better when it comes out. And i am pretty sure that the lights wont look a whole lot like celica. It might have a same shape but thats not a bad thing. And I dont know about you but, I wouldnt judge my decision to buy the new Z soley on how the headlights look. I think you should consider the value and what you are getting. If its under 25K with a worlds most advanced V6 engine with lots of power, you should consider that also. And consider its heritage. But thats just me, you do what ever you like, its your money.

thanks IRL, I wasnt going to base my decision on just lights but, it looks an awful lot like a celica with that vee in the hood.
    I sure hope this is more bait from nissan so they can surprise us with a great car next monday.

any word on engine yet?

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by datz510:
    IMO, this concept looks incredible. Talk about a far cry from that hideous thing they were calling a "Z" a year or so ago. I also think they've masked the frontend in this sketch. If Nissan has their act together, which so far it looks like they do, we will be in for a real treat at the Detroit autoshow. If they can pull it off, Nissan will enjoy a quick turnaround via the younger performance & value-oriented market, a-la the original 240z. Now, Nissan, just *BUILD IT*, price it reasonably, ...and i'll happily be in line to buy one, as will many other people I know.

[This message has been edited by datz510 (edited 01-04-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's totally ironic how close the sketch and the magazine photo are (many have admitted this in their replies); and yet everyone says how crappy the magazine photo is and how awesome the sketch is. There is more than a little hypocracy going on...

The pricing of a car here (northwest) usually is determined by how expensive (nice?) it looks (tacking on $10000 to an S2000 is very common), so there is little or no hope of being able to afford a car that "looks" as expensive as the Z concept. Another example is the local Pontiac dealer selling a 2000 Firebird Formula for $9000 more than MSRP. While Firebirds do have lots of HP, they aren't a precision instrument... I'm hoping the Z will be. With limited production, you can say goodbye to any $25K pricetag at 300hp with awesome handling.. try $35K, even if MSRP is lower.

We'll know sometime in the future... I expect that I won't be able to afford one, even though I would snap it up at $25K.

I think I figured out why the door handle looks like that!

Because the door slides open!!!

If you look at the ridges on top of the hood going into the headlights, it looks as if it meant for the door to ride on it when it slides forward.

Um, 2HD, Id have to disagree. That line from the headlights, not the hood line, to me is showing its wide shoulders. And that door handle is like the Ford Probes door handle and even the Pathfinders! Its just a vertical design, I like the way the handle looks. I like the whole skecth and I liked that fake sketch (as I have said millions of times), I dont know why people make such a big gripe about that door handle.

**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Zzealous. The magazine photo gave a general idea of the direction of the design, but subtle nuances can make a huge difference in the way a design comes together. And the overexagerated size of wheels in conceptual sketches always disappoints me, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast