The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreshAlloy Club 350z PROJECT...

FreshAlloy Club 350z PROJECT...

Editor's Update : Here is the article about the car:
    http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...ar/default.asp

We will be picking up a 350Z in most likey an enthusiast trim to turn into a project car that all members of the club can enjoy; watching it evolve and develop (and maybe we'll even raffle off drives or rides in at local FreshAlloy driving schools). This will be one exciting project, combining the vast knowledge of FreshAlloy's member base with their enthusiasm for speed and performance. We'll also tap into FreshAlloy's resources with the tuners.

Does everything think the Enthusiasts' Trim is the best starter point for a Z that will be tuned heavily?

We plan on getting everyone involved in creating one of the fastest street friendly, thouroughbred 350Zs. What I want to do is get everyone's opinion on what to get, what to do, which vendor to approach and lastly but not leastly, set up TechSessions so members in the area can come, chit chat, watch and learn the installation of various parts, and have fun.

I think this could be a great fun project for all involved here. Would love to start getting some feedback, once I pick up the car I'll generate a project plan and post here and see what you all think!

Re: FreshAlloy Club 350z PROJECT...

i think rfneimad should get to drive it first, because it was his idea to get a Fresh Alloy race car anyway. my $.02

Is it going to be FI or NA.

Is it going to be FI or NA.
    I'll get a better idea once we get the car and I settle into it. I've got some ideas for a multi-phased road map that can be executed in phases.

Basically I'm taking the approach that, what would I do if I were these different levels of enthusiast? One of the phase would involve getting affordable, bolt-on mods. This will probably be the basic, NA phase of the project. Mods would probably just be exhaust, intake, chip if they have a good one, and some other possible minor mods that members could suggest.

Then the next phase would be, what would I do if money is no subject and I absolutely must have the fastest car I can make? Then we'll look into smog legal headers, cams, FORCE INDUCTION (supercharger or turbo), lightweight flywheels...etc, all the compatible go-fast mods you can imagine.

The goal for FA and myself, is to get as many of YOU involved as possible, and make it so that it's something that benefits you no matter what level of modification you're comfortable with, or your budget.

Once the powers that be at FA has reviewed my roadmap, I'll post it here so y'all can have your thoughts and input into it as well.

if you are going balls out, might i recommend that AEBS 4.3L stroker kit, i would LOVE to see that thing in action.

if you are going balls out, might i recommend that AEBS 4.3L stroker kit, i would LOVE to see that thing in action.
    Duly noted. We may be contacting them for an up coming article so might be a good time to see if they'd be interested in helping out with the project car.

Well, I can't wait anymore...Picked up the car from Quality Nissan of Temecula. Pikes Peak White, Enthusiast trim, side airbags, floor mat, trunk mat, cargo net, and seat back organizer.

Since Quality Nissan of Temecula was so far from my residence (about 80 miles away, to be exact), I had some initial reservations on travelling so far to pick up a car. The whole process started with a phone call to Mark Baker, their fleet sales manager. Very helpful guy but initially he wanted to push a Chrome Silver Track package sans side airbags that's been sitting on the lot for a while. For our purposes of turning this into a project car, the track version just does not suit our needs. So I pushed back and finally located a car optioned exactly the way I needed. Mark arranged for the dealer trade, had the car there in 1 day and I was ready to go pick up the car.

The entire process couldn't have been easier. I submitted an online financing quote through Quality's website, and by the time I got there all the paperwork was ready, the financing arranged, and all that's left was to take the car for a test drive. My wife and I took the car and I peeled out of the parking lot (I'm used to the shorter clutch pickup and heavier clutch of my "other" car). Mark was trusting enough to let me take the keys and just go. Since it was mid morning and my wife and I haven't eaten breakfast yet, we decided to stop by a local Carrows for some breakfast. Half an hour later, we arrive back at the dealership, and Mark was patiently waiting for us to sign the paperwork. Then he introduced us to the finance manager, who had briefly asked if I wanted extended warranty (no) and a few other options (a product similar to Lo-Jack, again, no). After a few quick John Hancocks, we shook hands and were on our way.

In the last 4 years I've purchased 4 new cars, and I have to say, this was a pretty easy and painless process.

This is the project roadmap that I'm submitting to all the potential sponsors. Guys, take a look and give me some feedback:

FreshAlloy 350Z project car roadmap:

The proposed FreshAlloy 350Z project car will be the first in a line of collaborations between FreshAlloy, members of FreshAlloy Club and its online forums, and various vendors that contribute parts and supplies. The goal of this project is to bring together the valuable resources of FreshAlloy’s supporting vendors and sponsors, and the vast knowledge and enthusiasm of the 20,000+ members that participate on FreshAlloy daily. The proposed project vehicle’s goal, is to become one of the fastest, street friendly 350Z that will see moderate track action.

One way to get the maximum impact for each of the participating vendors and sponsors, is to effectively advertise the sponsor’s product featured on the vehicle. These are the various ways that this goal will be achieved.

1) Each part/modification will be posted on the FreshAlloy forum for the members to discuss.

2) Once part/modification is installed, a detailed review will be written and published on FreshAlloy newsletter and linked to the forum, allowing further discussion amongst members.

3) Members of the club will be invited to attend "Tech Sessions" hosted by various vendors, showing the installation process.

4) At each Tech Session, all sponsors literature will be displayed prominently and handed out to each attending member.

5) Sponsors will also be able to place their logos on the vehicle, which will have custom artwork commissioned to a professional artist.

6) Project car will participate in multiple car shows, a show calendar will be finalized and furnished upon further notice.

7) Sponsors will have the opportunity to sponsor a specific “phase” of the roadmap to further enhance sponsor visibility.

The vehicle has been procured from Quality Nissan of Temecula, a 2004 Pikes Peak White Enthusiast package. The project will proceed following the proposed roadmap:

Phase 1: Suspension and brakes
    Club members will be asked for input into suspension improvement. Topics covered range from coil-overs, swaybars, wheels, tires and brakes. Goal in phase 1 is to keep the engine stock and make the car handle as good as possible, while maintaining street-ability.

A proposal of possible list of vendors for each of the components:
    Coil-overs: Nismo, H&R, TEIN
    Wheels: Nismo, BBS, TireRack
    Tires: Bridgestone *
    Brakes: StopTECH, AP Racing, Brembo

Phase 2: Stage I engine modification
    Basic engine mods that can moderately upgrade the output of the engine without breaking the bank, with moderate ease of DIY. Mods will include intake, exhaust, and short shift kits. Again Tech Sessions will be scheduled to perform these mods so members can be personally involved.

Cold Air Intake: Stillen, Nismo, JWT
    Exhaust: Stillen, Nismo
    Short Shift Kit: B&M
    Cams and Headers: Stillen, Nismo

Phase 3: Stage II engine mod
    Will remove the stage I engine modification and go force induction to get the most out of the engine. FI installations are usually quite involved, so we will host Tech Session at chosen vendor but will not be DIY the installation.

Force Induction Systems: Greddy, Stillen, JWT for a comprehensive solution.
    Lightweight flywheel and clutch:

Please note, the proposed list of vendor is preliminary, we will be gathering input from members of FreshAlloy for possible vendors to approach. Vendors listed in italics has made verbal or written commitments.

Document prepared by Dan Wu

Good news guys, I have tentatively secured two sponsors for the project vehicle already. Bridgestone Tires will be featured prominently on the vehicle and the project car will be sporting a B&M Precision Short Shift Kit.

The first Tech Session will be held at B&M Racing in Chatsworth, California (for those of you in the know, that is in the heart of the San Fernando Valley) in the middle of September. Hopefully at that time I will have a big brake kit vendor secured and suspension vendor secured as well, so I can demonstrate how properly NOT to screw up a DIY project. For certain, there will be a demonstration of how to install the B&M Precision Short Shift kit.

Since this IS a FreshAlloy Club event, I will be asking those of you who are FreshAlloy club members to attend if you're in the area. We may have a fun rally drive through the Malibu area after the installation to "test out" the suspension/brake/short shift kit as well. Lunch will be served as well as possible sponsor give-aways/raffles.

Stay tuned, exciting times are ahead!

Bridgestone and B&M CONFIRMED. StopTECH and SPARCO signed up, although I'm still trying to negotiate a better deal for discounts for club members as well.

STAY TUNED! Phase 1 well underway.

Can you take a picture of the car for us? This is really cool that we can watch this car transform. Are you going to be keeping track of how much this will all cost too?

Can you take a picture of the car for us? This is really cool that we can watch this car transform. Are you going to be keeping track of how much this will all cost too?
    Photo documentation will be taken at every stage of the modification to show the "growth" of the vehicle. If you're a FreshAlloy Club member you are also welcome to actually PARTICIPATE in the TechSessions...There will be one at the end of September at B&M Racing in So. Cal where I will attempt to install the B&M Precision Short Shift Kit, hopefully whatever Big Brake Kit we decide upon, and possibly full suspension upgrade (coil-overs) and document everything for Member's Eye Only.

We need pics Now!!!!

Good news guys, I have tentatively secured two sponsors for the project vehicle already. Bridgestone Tires will be featured prominently on the vehicle and the project car will be sporting a B&M Precision Short Shift Kit.
    Good work.
    Seems to be going as planned.
    Personally, I think a decent goal is that SCC USCC thing.
    Then the next one would be One Lap of America.
    You can raffle off who can be the driver along with a FA admin or what not.
    I think it would be a good challenge to build up a decent raceable yet streetable car rather than some show car.
    I think it would be good publicity for FA. Who knows, maybe we can start a trend and battle other forums.
    I recommend using a Lysholm blower instead of a Eaton if you plan on supercharging.

MSA at zcarparts.com might hook up some stuff

We need pics Now!!!!

This is only a tentative "proposed" car graphics based on some rendering I did...We will have a few different concepts for Club members to vote for in another week, as I line up more vendors.

so are you gonna let rfneimad drive it first or what? it was his idea, i remember it!!

Wow, that is pretty nice.

Maybe a design contest and/or vote?

I do believe we have some design talent.
    Tasteful tribal going across the sides would be nice.
    Personally I like flat/matte paint like olive drab or camo.

I work at a print shop and we have a very large format department.
    We "might" have the digital vinyl cutter.
    I can go and see. They pretty much shutdown that stuff so if they do have it they probably won't mind me using it and some consumables.

so are you gonna let rfneimad drive it first or what? it was his idea, i remember it!!
    Yes. If he's in the So. Cal area or if he's attending one of the club high performance track days he's more than welcome to stop by and get a session or two. Of course, if you sign up for the FreshClub you can actually keep a much better track of the progress as well as enter the design contest for this car...Winner may get a ride & drive as well, we shall see.

Wow, that is pretty nice.

Maybe a design contest and/or vote?

I do believe we have some design talent.
    Tasteful tribal going across the sides would be nice.
    Personally I like flat/matte paint like olive drab or camo.

I work at a print shop and we have a very large format department.
    We "might" have the digital vinyl cutter.
    I can go and see. They pretty much shutdown that stuff so if they do have it they probably won't mind me using it and some consumables.

Yes, of course there will be a design contest. What I'm proposing, is that since I NEED to have this car ready for SEMA, that this will be the preliminary design (or whatever winning design our other artist come up with) to be ready for SEMA. Once that is over we can open up the can of worms to FreshAlloy club members and open up a graphic "design" contest, winner gets some cool prizes, like a high performance driving school complimentary of FreshAlloy, in this car, or something cool like that. Details will be worked out.

In fact, once we get rolling on the project, I am going to need as much help in input (I bleed German blue and white, and am not familiar with modifying Nissans) and suggestions as I can from ALL FreshAlloy members. Again, the goal of this project is to make a street friendly "race-car" that can hold its own or beat real prepped race cars on the twisty track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast